Author Topic: Bike-2-Bike intercom?  (Read 3080 times)

Firemarshal Bill

• View Profile
Bike-2-Bike intercom?
« on: June 25, 2022, 06:07:05 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions on purchasing a wireless communication system between 2 cyclists?  Something with a range of a hundred yards max.  What's available?  I don't even know where to search on line for such a comm system.  Thanks!

Radio Runner

• View Profile
Re: Bike-2-Bike intercom?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 07:14:36 PM »
I have my amateur radio license so I use those frequencies and repeaters etc. if all you want is 100 yards then any FRS radio license free will do it for ya. GMRS is the next step up however there is a license fee for those frequencies. (GMRS Fee is $35 that includes your whole family, no test required)

2sailors

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 01:28:34 PM »
You could use your phones? :)

rabi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 03:07:17 AM »
Phone + bluetooth headset is probably the most cost-effective solution, but I can't find a way to get rid of the noise of wind and breathing.

I am now using Sena Pi (https://amzn.to/3QOiB0G). The good thing is that it doesn't really pick up any wind or breathing noise and I don't need to by a new helmet.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 09:32:58 AM »
This is not a direct answer.  I just talk a little louder.  The beauty of an ebike is that you can all ride close together.  The slower person can keep up and the faster person does not have to slow down on the hill and overheat or exert more perceived energy slowing down.  If I want to, I just slow down or speed up to talk to my buddy and then, if I want, I can speed up again or slow down again.  That is my idea of a group ride on ebikes - where people want to hang out together and ride as a close group or a close subgroup.

The other choice is to use a phone - you can call using voice, pick up with voice, change volume with voice.  I change the names of my friend to single letters so the phone don't get confused.  Instead of say "call Anthony" and "call Antoine" I say "Call Mr. T", "Call Mr. J".  Also, it helps if everyone has a way to charge their cell phones on long rides.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 09:42:18 AM by Eric7 »

crorris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 12:20:02 PM »
I use the Sena R1 helmets for myself and my wife. They work the same (and with) the Sena Pi that @rabi mentioned. In addition to the intercom functionality, they have bluetooth for my phone for music or call. The one I have actually even has FM radio as well, but I never use that. One thing that I really like about it is how it works with my Samsung Galaxy Watch 4. I use the exercise tracking on it and it plays me a status update every mile. It tells me through the speakers how many miles I've gone, what my time and speed was for that last mile, and what my current heart rate is. Bluetooth earbuds would give me this same info, but I don't like wearing earbuds for fear of losing them, and I still want to hear the sound around me for safety. The speakers on the Sena helmet are right above your ears and the microphone is right above your forehead. I've asked people I'm talking to if they hear a lot of wind noise and they have all said no. I think @Ryan has link to a review posted here that he did of the Sena stuff.

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 06:39:58 PM »
 Game changer with our Amazon SENA helmets (https://amzn.to/3yeQIX8) that also play music from the phone.   Work as good or better than my more expensive MC helmet SENA com!!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 09:52:07 AM by Ryan »

914Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 04:33:27 AM »
Wife & I have the Sena R2 helmets and they're great.  I believe the range is listed as 1/2 mile and they're pretty reasonably priced..

Goosecreek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 03:20:36 PM »
+1 on Sena they make a good product.

Traildad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 10:30:48 PM »
When I rode ATV?s I used an frs/gmrs radio with a head set wired into my helmet. I?m plann8 g on getting the Sena helmet for my Rad.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 10:30:48 PM »