News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Radwagon 4 24" Wheel Conversion

Started by ryanmday, June 23, 2022, 11:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

ryanmday

I've read a few things about people suggesting that a 24" wheel/tire conversion is a possible path to increased tire availability, specifically for winter/studded tires. My Radwagon arrives next week and I'm pretty committed to figuring something out that will allow me to ride all winter. From what I've been able to gather, going from a 22x3 tire to a 24x1.9 will result in nearly identical overall diameters. There seems to be good tire availability in 24x1.75, which is slightly smaller overall.
Most 24" rims seem to be intended for BMX use. My LBS mechanic suggested these as a good/strong option, but I'm concerned about the overall weight of the RW4, me and two kids.

Does anyone know of a 24" 36 hole rim intended for cargo/e-bike use? Has anyone actually done this yet with good results? I'm determined to find a way to ride the RW4 year round!

Eric7

I am a big Rad fan and I have posted a lot.

But, what you suggest is so complicated and expensive - and would void your warranty.  And what if the power hub stops working?  Who is going to help you.  It seems it would be better just to buy another bike with 24 inch wheels or 20 inch wheels if that is your concern.

I've often wonder why 22 inch wheels were chosen.

ryanmday

Quote from: Eric7 on June 23, 2022, 02:22:53 PM
I am a big Rad fan and I have posted a lot.

But, what you suggest is so complicated and expensive - and would void your warranty.  And what if the power hub stops working?  Who is going to help you.  It seems it would be better just to buy another bike with 24 inch wheels or 20 inch wheels if that is your concern.

I've often wonder why 22 inch wheels were chosen.

I don't disagree that it is complicated and expensive, but with the cost of alternative bikes in Canada, it seems like it might be worth a shot? The RW4 set up for kids is just over $3,000 here. Something like and Xtracycle, Yuba or Surly is more than double the price.

I agree on the decision for 22 inch wheels. I struggle to see how that was a good choice by any measure.

Eric7

Quote from: ryanmday on June 23, 2022, 06:47:58 PM
I don't disagree that it is complicated and expensive, but with the cost of alternative bikes in Canada, it seems like it might be worth a shot? The RW4 set up for kids is just over $3,000 here. Something like and Xtracycle, Yuba or Surly is more than double the price.

Blix Packa?  $1999.

Radio Runner

Your also going to need 24? tires that hold at least 65psi to avoid pinch flats since 1.9 will be quite a bit thinner. Also thinner tires will limit the rim section width. Sun Rhyno Lites used to be made in 24?.

RadMig

Did you receive the do not ride safety notice? If so the point is mood for right now but with this customized size wheel it does make sense in any case to look for near perfect match alternatives. Keep us in touch!

Ddaybc

An easier, less difficult solution is to just purchase the front and rear tires for the Radrunner Plus. The axle width is the same and the tires are rated at almost the same load rating. Rad went from a 26 inch tire on the original RW to a 22 inch tire on the RW4 so I'm sure the 20 inch tire would work fine. Actually, if I had the money I would do it as I have the RW4. I would then use the extra motor and lace up my partners bike by purchasing a compatible controller and display from Grin Technologies in Vancouver.

Ddaybc

On another note, the Tern cargo bikes (two models but offhand I don't remember the designation of them) have 20 inch tires front and rear so switching our RW's to 20 inch tires shouldn't be an issue. If one is concerned about the pedals being too close to the ground with the reduced wheel diameter then switch out the stock 170 mm cranks to 160's. It can also make riding more comfortable with smaller "shorter" pedal cranks.

It's just a thought. I've been thinking about it for some time now but I think I'll simply get moped tires that will fit my 22 inch wheels. I won't have to worry about weird tire sizes anymore, I won't be concerned with tire/tube construction and winter riding will be better too.

v4ssily

This is an interesting discution.

Does anyone have tried this 20" convertion or the 24" ?

I've a motor failure with my radwagon and this could be an option don't you think ?

handlebar

Quote from: v4ssily on October 09, 2023, 04:41:19 AM
This is an interesting discution.

Does anyone have tried this 20" convertion or the 24" ?

I've a motor failure with my radwagon and this could be an option don't you think ?

Bafang anticipated your problem, where the motor turns but not the wheel. A new motor clutch costs about $25. That's bound to be cheaper and easier than replacing the motor.