Author Topic: basket on RadExpand 5  (Read 2589 times)

radex5owner

• View Profile
basket on RadExpand 5
« on: June 20, 2022, 11:05:53 AM »
$70 is a bit much for a basket unless it totally useful.  Who has put the small basket on the RadExpand 5 with what I assume is the rad mini rack.  Is it too heavy for this design since the bike is smaller?  I haven't found Rad listing the dimension or weight of it, and it have mixed reviews (mostly people buying the linner without the basket or visa versa), but I this any canvas bag should line it we'll enough for things that might fall out, also bungie cord would keep thing secure.  Does the ABUS fold lock fit, with a say fanny pack?

radex5owner

• View Profile
Re: basket on RadExpand 5
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 04:51:34 PM »
Well I went ahead and bought the small basket for RadEx 5, and I have to say I love it.  It's durable easy to put a shopping bag in it (with bungie cord) and I hold my lock in it as well. Very versatile and looks good on the bike and not too big and not too small. Worth the purchase (but hate a $10 shipping fee from Seattle to Portland OR)!!

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 06:55:54 PM »
Well I went ahead and bought the small basket for RadEx 5, and I have to say I love it.  It's durable easy to put a shopping bag in it (with bungie cord) and I hold my lock in it as well. Very versatile and looks good on the bike and not too big and not too small. Worth the purchase (but hate a $10 shipping fee from Seattle to Portland OR)!!

I have the same basket on the back of my MiniST2 and I agree with you in all respects.  Occasionally it would be nice if it were a bit larger, but I've never wanted something as huge as a sideways-mounted large basket.  If it could be mounted lengthwise it might be a good way to go.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 08:41:26 AM by JimInPT »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

radex5owner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 11:35:03 AM »
Great pic JiminPT, what's in the bag under the seat?  Also great seat, where did you score that??

radex5owner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 11:35:41 AM »
Great pic JiminPT, what's in the bag under the seat?  Also great seat, where did you score that??

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 10:22:05 AM »

That's my toolkit; originally hung under the seat like most of them, but it was interfering with the movement of the suspension seatpost and I didn't want the material to wear through, so I strapped it to the frame just on top of the fender, as you see.  The access zipper is held closed with a tiny stainless carabiner, which also might help to deter casual thievery because it's a stone-cold female dog to unhook.

The seat is a Cloud-9, linked below but available in many places.  Seats are like shoes; you have to find one that fits you and makes you happy.  This was the fifth seat I tried and the second Cloud-9 (their different models vary quite a lot), so I took advantage of Amazon's return policy, although I did give the other C-9 to my sister since it's such a well-made seat, just not the right one for me.  My crotch and I do not like the unnecessarily-long nose of this one, but otherwise it fits me great and I've adapted my mount/dismount to avoid impaling ...... ummm "stuff".

Update: now that I looked at my photo again, I see that's an older one with the first Cloud-9 seat in place.  You'll see in the link below how much longer the nose is on the one I use now.

Toolkit bag:  https://amzn.to/3PiMtAo
Seat:  https://amzn.to/3QAeg02

Since you have a Contract 5 (sorry, just IMHO) both of these should fit your frame nicely as well.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 07:28:17 AM by Ryan »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

chonger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 12:49:46 PM »
Here's what I did with mine.

Front rack + $12 milk crate from Home Depot. Requires washers with 4xM5 screws about 20-25mm in length I believe.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 12:49:46 PM »