News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

basket on RadExpand 5

Started by radex5owner, June 20, 2022, 11:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

radex5owner

$70 is a bit much for a basket unless it totally useful.  Who has put the small basket on the RadExpand 5 with what I assume is the rad mini rack.  Is it too heavy for this design since the bike is smaller?  I haven't found Rad listing the dimension or weight of it, and it have mixed reviews (mostly people buying the linner without the basket or visa versa), but I this any canvas bag should line it we'll enough for things that might fall out, also bungie cord would keep thing secure.  Does the ABUS fold lock fit, with a say fanny pack?

radex5owner

Well I went ahead and bought the small basket for RadEx 5, and I have to say I love it.  It's durable easy to put a shopping bag in it (with bungie cord) and I hold my lock in it as well. Very versatile and looks good on the bike and not too big and not too small. Worth the purchase (but hate a $10 shipping fee from Seattle to Portland OR)!!

JimInPT

Quote from: radex5owner on July 21, 2022, 04:51:34 PM
Well I went ahead and bought the small basket for RadEx 5, and I have to say I love it.  It's durable easy to put a shopping bag in it (with bungie cord) and I hold my lock in it as well. Very versatile and looks good on the bike and not too big and not too small. Worth the purchase (but hate a $10 shipping fee from Seattle to Portland OR)!!

I have the same basket on the back of my MiniST2 and I agree with you in all respects.  Occasionally it would be nice if it were a bit larger, but I've never wanted something as huge as a sideways-mounted large basket.  If it could be mounted lengthwise it might be a good way to go.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

radex5owner

Great pic JiminPT, what's in the bag under the seat?  Also great seat, where did you score that??

radex5owner

Great pic JiminPT, what's in the bag under the seat?  Also great seat, where did you score that??

JimInPT

Quote from: radex5owner on July 29, 2022, 11:35:03 AM

That's my toolkit; originally hung under the seat like most of them, but it was interfering with the movement of the suspension seatpost and I didn't want the material to wear through, so I strapped it to the frame just on top of the fender, as you see.  The access zipper is held closed with a tiny stainless carabiner, which also might help to deter casual thievery because it's a stone-cold female dog to unhook.

The seat is a Cloud-9, linked below but available in many places.  Seats are like shoes; you have to find one that fits you and makes you happy.  This was the fifth seat I tried and the second Cloud-9 (their different models vary quite a lot), so I took advantage of Amazon's return policy, although I did give the other C-9 to my sister since it's such a well-made seat, just not the right one for me.  My crotch and I do not like the unnecessarily-long nose of this one, but otherwise it fits me great and I've adapted my mount/dismount to avoid impaling ...... ummm "stuff".

Update: now that I looked at my photo again, I see that's an older one with the first Cloud-9 seat in place.  You'll see in the link below how much longer the nose is on the one I use now.

Toolkit bag:  https://amzn.to/3PiMtAo
Seat:  https://amzn.to/3QAeg02

Since you have a Contract 5 (sorry, just IMHO) both of these should fit your frame nicely as well.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

chonger

Here's what I did with mine.

Front rack + $12 milk crate from Home Depot. Requires washers with 4xM5 screws about 20-25mm in length I believe.