Author Topic: Reminder: tighten your spokes  (Read 3130 times)

VArider

• View Profile
Reminder: tighten your spokes
« on: June 17, 2022, 11:28:23 AM »
After about 800 miles on my RadCity ebike I noticed a clicking sound that varied with the wheel rotation.  I couldn't trace it to anything specific like the derailleur or something rubbing on the wheels or fender but tightening the spokes eliminated the clicking sound. 

AtLarge

• View Profile
Re: Reminder: tighten your spokes
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 10:58:32 AM »
So, was it quiet before and then after 800 miles it started clicking?  I have a new bike and it?s really noisy back there and only with weight on it. I?m a little reluctant to tighten them more right from the factory.
City 3

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 11:36:23 AM »
I have a new bike and it?s really noisy back there and only with weight on it. I?m a little reluctant to tighten them more right from the factory.

The factory may have been sloppy installing/tightening them, so you should check them out or have a shop do it.  I'm no expert on this topic, but there are many vids out there, including a couple Rad-specific ones, about how.  Just do it in tiny increments and make sure to balance on both sides.

At a minimum, pluck them like a harp string or tap with the shaft of a screwdriver - if they're dull, flat-sounding and don't 'sing' they could probably stand a bit of tightening - if loose, definitely.  If the noise you're hearing is 'clicking', that's probably it.  Make sure to use the correct size spoke wrench to avoid damaging the flats on the nipples.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 11:43:17 AM by JimInPT »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

summercars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 09:04:22 AM »
Hello friends,

I own 10 rad bikes as i own a e bike rental office. i have a problem with one of my rad rhino first generation. one of the rear wheel spokes is broken. i cannot find anywhere in my island. do you know the spoke diameter so i can purchase on line. from the rad power bike site i could not find anything.

VArider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 04:06:06 AM »
I have a new bike and it?s really noisy back there and only with weight on it. I?m a little reluctant to tighten them more right from the factory.

The factory may have been sloppy installing/tightening them, so you should check them out or have a shop do it.  I'm no expert on this topic, but there are many vids out there, including a couple Rad-specific ones, about how.  Just do it in tiny increments and make sure to balance on both sides.

At a minimum, pluck them like a harp string or tap with the shaft of a screwdriver - if they're dull, flat-sounding and don't 'sing' they could probably stand a bit of tightening - if loose, definitely.  If the noise you're hearing is 'clicking', that's probably it.  Make sure to use the correct size spoke wrench to avoid damaging the flats on the nipples.

yes, I could only hear the clicking sound riding the bike.  On the rack with the wheels spinning you couldn't hear the sound

AtLarge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 04:36:47 PM »
Mine were terribly noisey.  I found the right size wrench at my LBS and tweaked them all. Two were the worst. Quieted it completely down. Nice and smooth. No run out at all on the rim. Just the tire. Rolls sweetly now. 🙂
City 3

VArider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 05:23:16 AM »
"Mine were terribly noisey.  I found the right size wrench at my LBS and tweaked them all. Two were the worst. Quieted it completely down. Nice and smooth. No run out at all on the rim. Just the tire. Rolls sweetly now."

yes, I think ebike spokes need more frequent tightening than ordinary bikes

radex5owner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 07:41:34 AM »
Do all RADs have the same spoke diameter, or are the smaller (20x4) tires have thicker spokes (like on the Rad Expand 5)?  Before I go out and buy the spoke wrench.  Thanks everyone, I'm learning a lot on this Forum. 

Mooree

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2023, 08:01:32 PM »
A rattling sound in the wheel or visible warping in the rim is one of the common indications to tighten bike spokes. If you see any of these, it is advisable to address them right away.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 03:23:38 AM by Mooree »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2023, 08:01:32 PM »