Author Topic: New RadWagon?  (Read 6706 times)

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New RadWagon?
« on: May 19, 2020, 01:18:26 PM »
Rad Power Bikes teased on Instagram that "a new version of the bike you love hits the streets in September."

My guess is this is a new version of the RadWagon since it is currently out of stock and they are not accepting backorders. Any other guesses?

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New RadWagon?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 09:37:40 AM »
Now I'm thinking potentially a RadWagon Plus - interesting that it's grey. It looks similar to the RadRunner Plus.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 10:38:28 AM »
Well, there we go. RadWagon 4 details tomorrow: https://bit.ly/2WMO35g

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 10:00:17 AM »
It's official, specs are live on the RadWagon 4. I really like some of the changes, but having to wait until after summer would be tough: https://ebikeescape.com/rad-power-bikes-announces-radwagon-4/

Hbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 09:38:29 PM »
I’m kicking myself! Everything that I gripe about with the Radwagon 3 was addressed with the new bike! And I just purchased it a couple months ago :(  it looks shorter and lighter too, like I could legally take it on the commuter train. Oh well.

Cashmochi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 11:03:53 AM »
Just order ours yesterday

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 06:54:13 PM »
Yeah, I feel like that's always the case with the timing not working out. However it would be a huge bummer to not have a bike for the summer, especially with where things are at. Maybe you can sell a slightly used RadWagon come fall. I'm sure there will be some folks who prefer the standard 26" tires.

Congrats Cashmochi!

TDR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 04:54:35 AM »
Makes sense for a cargo bike to have a geared hub motor.

howardsivories@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 02:39:56 PM »
The RW4 is 3-4 lbs. heavier than previous model yet it's two plus inches lower, smaller wheels,and no running boards. I wonder why that is. The smaller22" wheels on a heavy cargo bike seem too small esp. when going over potholes,curbs,etc.  And  a trigger  or twist shifter would be welcome- thumb shifters are harder to operate for me. Also,for such a heavy e bike Rad needs to bump up the ah s on the battery to give more range- say 17  or 21 ah s .   On the other hand,it's nice that Rad continually improves their models. Looking forward to seeing what else they have to offer us Rad riders.  My first post- I hope I didn't mess up on my first post- ever!

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 07:15:29 AM »
The RW4 is 3-4 lbs. heavier than previous model yet it's two plus inches lower, smaller wheels,and no running boards. I wonder why that is. The smaller22" wheels on a heavy cargo bike seem too small esp. when going over potholes,curbs,etc.  And  a trigger  or twist shifter would be welcome- thumb shifters are harder to operate for me. Also,for such a heavy e bike Rad needs to bump up the ah s on the battery to give more range- say 17  or 21 ah s .   On the other hand,it's nice that Rad continually improves their models. Looking forward to seeing what else they have to offer us Rad riders.  My first post- I hope I didn't mess up on my first post- ever!

You may want to change your username since it's your email address and it's public on the web but besides that you didn't mess anything up  :). My thought was that wheels would be stronger given everything would be more compact. Perhaps less of a worry about spoke issues when you load it up? The 3" wide tires should give it a little more comfort over bumps as well. I personally find the range sufficient, one of the constraints is just how many batteries you can stuff into a pack that size. One of the small benefits is with the different motor you should be able to adjust the brake pads much easier. I will wait until I get to hop on one to make my final call but I think the new model is going to be superior to my 2018.

Leaver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 11:24:40 AM »
Just a few thoughts...
The changes to the Wagon seem to make good sense to me.  The smaller diameter wheels create extra torque, even without the upgraded geared hub motor.  That torque is essential for a heavily laden cargo bike.  Plus the lower stance means lower center of gravity which is also important for a heavy bike... less "tippy".  It would have been nice if the controller was also upgraded to send more amps to the motor.  Following the theme of heavy bike requirements... that extra amperage/power is a boon for this segment.  But I know that has to be weighed with the various legal restrictions in different states and different countries.

I'm assuming the "new" motor is really just the same one currently used in the "Rover".  If true, it is not 750w but rather is really 500w (continuous).  Something I wish Rad would do in general for all of their geared motors is either upgrade to the real Bafang 750w motor (fits inside the same case they are currently using), or just be more honest with what the current motor really is and call it a 500w motor.  Of course, I vote for the former... give us the bigger motor.

Hopefully Rad will upgrade the RadCity with the same motor.  I think the direct-drive is getting long in the tooth.  There are times when I wish I had the extra torque in my City that the current motors just do not have.  Even for "city riding" that torque is welcome for those of us who live in hill/mountain country.  Just keep the same 26 inch tires on the City.

Carsten

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 02:21:07 PM »
One reason that I'm glad having purchased the old RadWagon: In EU they changed the hub motor to the standard 250 W power. That means e-bike with no insurance needed. But it's only one third to half of the power (depending on calculating with maximum peak of 750 or continuous output of 500 W). Which is not much riding with one week's grocery goods. Or the allowed load of 70 kg (154 Pounds) plus driver (80 kg, 176 Pounds).

And I definitely like the 26 inch wheels! Would be even harder to find studded tires in 22 inch size. At least not from  Schwalbe. And I couldn't use my DIY pillion seat any longer, different back rack deck.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 02:21:07 PM »