Author Topic: Will it Fit in____Trunk  (Read 2960 times)

Ishy

• View Profile
Will it Fit in____Trunk
« on: June 10, 2022, 05:18:29 PM »
So. A topic on if it will or won't Fit in the trunk of X car model or not.

Rad EXpand 5.   Fits in 
2005 Toyota Corolla trunk.
Difficulty 3/5. 

Difficulty details necessary to fit
Pedals need to be positioned correctly and it has about 1cm of clearance but it 100% is possible but it's not easy.   Blankets or something will be needed to prevent damage to either car or bike finishes.

1/5 goes in easy with lots of wiggle room
2/5 a little tight blankets or something to protect from bumps likely needed but no special exact folding or orientation of pedals or handlebar or other components needed.
3/5 It fits barely.  But needs a specific folding method and orientation of the handlebars and or pedals in order to have a hope of getting it in or out.  Paint protection is a must as well.
4/5 meaning changes to one big stock feature are necessary but the bike once transported comes out and no extra extra work needed to get it fully functional again.. Ie: removing the bottom liner of the trunk.  Or replacing the pedals with specific after market ones, removing the seat and seatpost.  Not removing and reattaching the handlebars or other major components that aren't easily reinstalled like the front wheel.
5/5 would mean modified trunk And bike features like pedals or wheel removal. Etc. Something to do only if you had no other options and it isn't a quick fix to put it all back.(road trip to a destination, bike needed to be transported to enjoy that destination,.  Pull bike out assemble/fix then enjoy, disassemble   Go home.   Fix trunk and bike and enjoy like normal.

Hope this helps someone.  It's next to impossible to get specific information so I hope this topic might grow to be a nice repository for future reference.

jbfoster

• View Profile
Re: Will it Fit in____Trunk
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 06:21:57 PM »
Let's add to this, will it fit in the back seat of X car.

My issue is we have a 2020 Camry with no hitch. Adding a hitch is out of the question. Taking my Rover 5 is out o the question. I been wanting to get my wife a electric bike but no way to haul both unless one fits in the trunk and the other fits in the back seat so I have been looking at folding bikes. Two Radexpands would be pricey. I been looking at other brands like Lectric XP 2.0. I do like the Radexpand better though but there is a large price difference.

Jim

Ishy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 12:48:46 PM »
Added detail.  I bought a big tub.  This makes getting it in and out of my back seat a breeze compared to the trunk!   If anyone wants dimensions I can look.  In Canada only Home Depot Carries that large of a size ... With wheels as a non optional bonus😅.

Lows in the states has that size on their website but not in Canada

Good luck and happy riding people!

John Rose

• It's not cheating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 07:34:09 PM »
Added detail.  I bought a big tub.  This makes getting it in and out of my back seat a breeze compared to the trunk!   If anyone wants dimensions I can look.  In Canada only Home Depot Carries that large of a size ... With wheels as a non optional bonus😅. ...
Which brand and model of tub is that, and do the folded handlebars fit inside the tub or hang over the outside?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 07:36:09 PM by John Rose »
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

John Rose

• It's not cheating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2023, 01:02:48 PM »
RadExpand 5 and RadMini ST2 *together* Fit in
2010 Honda CRV
Difficulty (both) 2/5
Difficulty (either by itself) 1/5

On the return trip I pulled the front one further up the seat backs, such that the bike seat was directly above the rear seat headrests.
Also, taking the batteries out did make it significantly easier for the two of us (both age 70) to lift them in.
I'm thinking that a partial sheet of 1/4" plywood would make it easier to slide the first one up onto the folded seat backs, as well as protect the upholstery from damage and dirt.
Next time I want to see if both will go in the Honda Fit.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 01:21:51 PM by John Rose »

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 05:42:18 PM »
Those photos are pretty sobering. If you'd been wearing a cowboy hat instead of a helmet and faceplate, maybe you would have seen the train.  ;)

John Rose

• It's not cheating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 04:18:12 PM »
My issue is we have a 2020 Camry with no hitch. Adding a hitch is out of the question. Taking my Rover 5 is out o the question. I been wanting to get my wife a electric bike but no way to haul both unless one fits in the trunk and the other fits in the back seat so I have been looking at folding bikes. ...
How is the spare tire stowed? If it's in the bottom of the trunk, and is one of those mini "donut" tires, maybe you could take it out to get more height for both bikes in the trunk, and stash the spare tire wherever else it may fit.

Those photos are pretty sobering. If you'd been wearing a cowboy hat instead of a helmet and faceplate, maybe you would have seen the train.  ;)
Ehhh . . . what?

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 05:56:11 PM »

Ehhh . . . what?

American Railroads put up STOP LOOK LISTEN signs at crossings. That way, if a bicycle gets all bent up like yours, railroad lawyers can blame the bicyclist.

Did you ever wonder why your Canadian friends say, "Ehhh?" It's because earmuffs are so popular in the Great White North! Canadian bicyclists really can't be expected to hear a train through earmuffs. Wearing plastic goggles in the face of Canada's notoriously low winter sun, looking probably won't help, either.

There is a common-sense solution. Whenever you approach a crossing, honk your Clarabell horn several times. If there is a train coming, that will warn the engineer to stop, look, and listen.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 04:49:14 AM by handlebar »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 05:56:11 PM »