News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Charging the battery...

Started by MJLStickMan, June 09, 2022, 03:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

MJLStickMan

I have noticed that sometimes when I put my battery to charge the charger will not change the status to charging. This is not because of a fuse issue which I have had before which is what makes this strange. After checking both fuses which are fine, I plug back in charger to battery and the lights will stay the same no charging happening............until.........just wait for it..... after around 5 mins the charger will decide to start charging which seems a strange to me. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem? That being said this only occurs after I have ran down the battery to 15-20 % and try to charge soon after use. I am not sure but I think they may be something in the BMS that tells the battery not to charge until a cool down period goes by. I have notice this with other rechargeable devices I own that will not charge directly after use needing a cool down period. Is this normal?

rjp

I was told by Rad that I should wait about an hour after riding before charging the battery. They said the battery is in drain mode and should rest  before being charged.

Ddaybc

MJLStickMan, Yes it's normal for a battery charger to wait until your batteries have "rested" before recharging. Our battery chargers are smart enough to do so. My battery operated tools however come with a warning to wait 15 minutes after use before setting the battery on the charger.

Eric7

My Dyson vacuum cleaner says to wait until the battery cools off before charging.  Same idea.  I think it is best.  It is not so much the time as the temperature. 

So unless you absolutely have to ride it ASAP.  I would just wait a few hours and then charge it overnight.  I have a charge timer and I have a pretty good idea of how long to charge to just slightly undercharge so I just set the timer before I go to bed.

When I wake up, if the battery is still not 100% I give it another hour or 2.  I try to undercharge for the first charge.