News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

First thing to change on your RAD?

Started by 2sailors, June 06, 2022, 10:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

What mod did you do immediately? (explain if you want)

Accessory (basket, light upgrade, helmet etc)
10 (50%)
Comfort (seat, grips, shocks)
6 (30%)
Stickers/Paint or other artistic cosmetic changes(make it mine)
0 (0%)
Mechanical (souped up battery, better tires, computer upgrade)
1 (5%)
Nesting/Security (rack to carry it/store it, locks, etc)
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: July 06, 2022, 10:31:56 AM

rwstreb

I got my RadRunner Plus today. I added a mirror that is not that great, and I plan to replace it. This was immediately after looking over my shoulder and pretty much taking an unintentional right turn, almost going into the ditch. I have a gel seat cover, but unlike apparently about everybody else, I actually like the seat. I need to put some more miles on it to know for sure, but I haven't found a seat I particularly like since maybe the 80s or even 70s. I have gained about 80 lb since then. That might have something to do it. I also hear a lot of complaints about the light, and I was expecting to either replace or supplement it. I think I will supplement even if I love the light- which I do so far, even though it is bright and sunny. I could see the light easily about a quarter mile away. I have a few other things I plan to add, but I'm going to wait and see. I love the passenger seat more than I thought I would. I really am not liking the idea of a front basket because of cable clearance.

2sailors

I'm jealous, just so excited to get mine, have to wait and see what I need :)

pnwetc

Good idea for a poll. First thing I did when I purchased mine was move an existing Pinhead rear skewer onto the front wheel of my RR+, mount a U-lock bracket, and arrange a point for wrapping a good chain lock around the rear seat. Other mods are important, but none of them are worth much if your bike gets stolen - security first!

rwstreb

Quote from: rwstreb on June 06, 2022, 02:05:16 PM
... I actually like the seat. I need to put some more miles on it to know for sure, but I haven't found a seat I particularly like since maybe the 80s or even 70s. I have gained about 80 lb since then. That might have something to do it. I also hear a lot of complaints about the light, and I was expecting to either replace or supplement it. I think I will supplement even if I love the light- which I do so far, even though it is bright and sunny. I could see the light easily about a quarter mile away. ...

After about 15 miles or so I didn't care for the seat as much, but it wasn't too bad. The headlight was less attractive after the sun went down, so I will definitely be adding supplemental lighting. I also will be changing the handgrips.

Radio Runner

1st is the seat....Every bike needs a Brooks saddle. Beauty, elegance, durability and comfort.

Ddaybc

I know the original post hasn't asked for all of this but owning my bike has turned itself into a growth system for me.

I ordered my RW4 with the small basket and the small container for the inside as I knew I was going to be carrying a set of tools and a chain type of lock in it (I currently didn't own the lock but, oh well  8) )

I used the Rad website to make a list of everything I wanted from Rad and, over time I ordered and received them. Mirror, large basket, large roll top bag, running boards, spare tire tube.

Since I purchased my bike I've picked up my Kryptonite Chain lock and the Pinhead security system.

I now also have a "want to do" list. Large U lock, Hex lock security system (for the variety of allen key bolts on my bike), Egghead controller, PNW dropper post, Brooks seat, additional seat post locks, mirrors for both sides, tire chains for winter use.

My "wish list" is something I would like to do but probably won't do. Here it is too.
Different sized wheels so one can purchase a variety of tires of different tread types (maybe 20 inch like on the RR+),  bosses on the front forks for pannier mounts, Efneo 3 speed front drive (set up for a belt drive), convert to belt drive.

JimInPT

After 14 months, I've done all 5 of those things, but I ordered the rear rack and small basket when I ordered my MiniST2, so they were first.... and essential in my opinion.  And I started in trying different seats soon after receiving it, after 5 tries I found a Cloud 9 that is butt-approved.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

2sailors

Quote from: Radio Runner on June 06, 2022, 11:19:03 PM
1st is the seat....Every bike needs a Brooks saddle. Beauty, elegance, durability and comfort.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2Fth%3Fid%3DOP.UwBnzbLrijGY%252fg474C474%26o%3D5%26pid%3D21.1&f=1

That thing looks hard as a rock, I'm a bigger sized girl....is it really comfortable?

Radio Runner

Quote from: 2sailors on June 07, 2022, 02:39:21 PM
Quote from: Radio Runner on June 06, 2022, 11:19:03 PM

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2Fth%3Fid%3DOP.UwBnzbLrijGY%252fg474C474%26o%3D5%26pid%3D21.1&f=1

That thing looks hard as a rock, I'm a bigger sized girl....is it really comfortable?

That's only one of what are dozens of Brooks seat models in many widths and shapes. Some even have springs, you have pictured a racing saddle. A comfortable seat need not have tons of foam or gel. A leather seat is like a hammock, its forms to your body. That being said most people don't ride enough to enjoy an leather seat like a Brooks. A casual rider can get away with quite a few cheap foam designs but after the 10 to 20 mile mark firm is better. Plush leads to friction and friction leads to saddle sores.