Author Topic: Help for a sucker  (Read 2957 times)

all1word

• View Profile
Help for a sucker
« on: September 23, 2022, 02:30:50 PM »
Hi.  Bought  a rad runner 2 off Craigslist.   The guy who sold it to me swapped out original battery for a bigger one that he suspended under the rack (and is supposed to give better range).   

The battery won't charge with the charger he gave me.  (He ghosted me).   I don't see any stickers on the battery saying what the battery is.   Any idea how I can figure out the right charger to buy?   

thx

DickB

• View Profile
    • carveshop.com
Re: Help for a sucker
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 03:08:19 PM »
It might be the battery, not the charger. Check the charger output with a multimeter - it should read 54.6 V.

all1word

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 04:34:08 PM »
Thx for reply.   Sounds like job for my handy neighbor.  ;) 

RadMig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 08:15:38 PM »
If the charger shows green before during and after attempting to charge then you probably have a blown 5A fuse. Those batteries have two fuses a 5A and a 40a turn the battery upside down and there were two little ports near the top using awl or a little screwdriver to open the fuse port and check your fuses especially the 5A. Once you're sure the fuses are good it should charge. Hope this helps keep me in touch

all1word

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 06:46:52 PM »
Thx for the reply? understood a couple of those words and numbers.  ;)

One last question.  Could I use a rad mission 1 battery on this?   Just pop it in?  Thx again

all1word

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 02:09:20 PM »
The drama continues...

Took the battery off to try and find a sticker that would tell me the info so I could buy a charger (since I still haven't heard from the guy who sold it to me.).   Didn't see anything.   (I've attached a couple pictures -- he attached the new big battery to the post from the Rad Bike and wired it that way).

I now would just like to salvage the bike.   Is there a battery that I can buy and just wire in that way?

Sometimes I hate Craigslist. ;) 

Thx in advance.   

Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 04:40:00 PM »
The drama continues...

Took the battery off to try and find a sticker that would tell me the info so I could buy a charger (since I still haven't heard from the guy who sold it to me.).   Didn't see anything.   (I've attached a couple pictures -- he attached the new big battery to the post from the Rad Bike and wired it that way).

I now would just like to salvage the bike.   Is there a battery that I can buy and just wire in that way?

Sometimes I hate Craigslist. ;) 

Thx in advance.

don't forget to attach the pictures...

all1word

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 07:03:31 AM »
thx.  having issues posting pics.  hopefully these go thru

all1word

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 07:04:37 AM »
some more pics

Thx everyone for help.   

J3rry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 07:37:50 PM »
some more pics

Thx everyone for help.

Those red and black wires are probably supposed to be connected to something. I?m not quite sure what part that?s attached to. There should not be exposed wires like that, they got torn/separated from wherever they should go.

Now you know why he?s ghosting you, he did a hack job on the bike and dumped it on you.

It could be salvageable though.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 04:39:30 PM »
The small two pin connector goes to the controller. The red and black wires are supposed to connect to the battery output, but should have terminals or a plug instead of just wires stuffed in the hole, which obviously failed. That charger appears to be for a 36 volt battery, as the voltage is too low for a 48 volt. Are there any information stickers on the battery? The whole battery is sketchy, and if it was me, I would recycle it and purchase another battery. Is the original battery mount still on the bike? You can purchase another battery from Rad, but there may be delays, and Rad may not sell you one if the bike serial number is showing in their records as belonging to someone else. Other companies like Unit Pack Power make an original style battery that fits the original Rad mount, or you can replace the mount with an aftermarket one. 

jbfoster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2022, 11:25:44 AM »
Be careful using cheap batteries. I have seen on the news of a lot of ebike batteries catching fire for no reason. It seems to be those cheap batteries from China. 

DickB

• View Profile
    • carveshop.com
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2022, 03:55:53 PM »
Be careful using cheap batteries. I have seen on the news of a lot of ebike batteries catching fire for no reason. It seems to be those cheap batteries from China.
Where do you think Rad batteries are sourced?

jbfoster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2022, 04:59:47 PM »
Where do you think Rad batteries are sourced?

Like I said, the cheap ones from China. There are good ones from China and I'm sure that's the ones RAD uses.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2022, 04:59:47 PM »