Author Topic: 22 inch tire options  (Read 3786 times)

Uglymutt

• View Profile
22 inch tire options
« on: May 31, 2022, 11:32:26 AM »
Has anyone tried a S&M  22 x 2.4 tire on a radwagon wheel?  Obviously you would also need a matching tube.  I've had some issues with this bikes tires and I think its bad manufacturing from Vee tire co.  I have seen some posts about building a 24" wheelset but I don't want to do that unless I need to.  I cant find any other options for a 22 inch tire.  Any help would be HUGE!!!

https://www.danscomp.com/s-m-speedball-tire-black-22-457-iso-2.4-05-sb-22-240/p1131916?v=1110564
https://www.albes.com/collections/bmx-tires/products/s-m-mainline-tire-22-inch?variant=31766941171786

philvarner

• View Profile
Re: 22 inch tire options
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 07:46:12 PM »
I've considered the same thing and would be very surprised if this would work in a safe way. The 22x3 custom tire they've made is massive compared to the 22x2.1-2.4 BMX tube i've seen (I've never seen that size tire in person). Like, almost double the weight.

Smalltown Cyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 02:28:02 PM »
I would suggest to try some motorcycle tires. Take the "etrto" measurement ("457-45") and select a 3.00" x 18" motorcycle tire. Depending on the brand, the prices are between 25.00 Euro and 80.00 Euro.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 11:56:20 PM by Smalltown Cyclist »

FrobyMcJewfro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 06:34:12 PM »
Has anyone tried a S&M  22 x 2.4 tire on a radwagon wheel?  Obviously you would also need a matching tube.  I've had some issues with this bikes tires and I think its bad manufacturing from Vee tire co.  I have seen some posts about building a 24" wheelset but I don't want to do that unless I need to.  I cant find any other options for a 22 inch tire.  Any help would be HUGE!!!

https://www.danscomp.com/s-m-speedball-tire-black-22-457-iso-2.4-05-sb-22-240/p1131916?v=1110564
https://www.albes.com/collections/bmx-tires/products/s-m-mainline-tire-22-inch?variant=31766941171786

When you say bad manufacturing, I am wondering if you have the same failure mode as me. I have never seen a tire fail like this before. Of course RAD says "ware and tear" which after 6mo of riding is unacceptable not matter how I ride it (I'm not jumping!).

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 09:12:53 AM »

When you say bad manufacturing, I am wondering if you have the same failure mode as me. I have never seen a tire fail like this before. Of course RAD says "ware and tear" which after 6mo of riding is unacceptable not matter how I ride it (I'm not jumping!).
[/quote]

I had to look at your picture for quite a while before I realized why it looked familiar. Something was triggering my memory but it took a few days. I agree with your assessment. Either the warehouse hasn't been rotating their stock enough and the tires are older than dirt or they are very poorly made!

We would sometimes get the same type of failures on our bike tires when I was a kid/teenager. I think it was because of age and/or low tire pressure although I'm leaning towards age. I don't remember anyone buying new tires. Four of us got new bikes once! Two of us at the same time. That was epic!  ;D

Most of the tires we used were bought from second hand stores, picked up from "behind the shed" or from the dump. We almost never checked tire pressure with a gauge. Just pressed or squeezed the tire and away we would go if it was good enough. Other than getting flat tires we almost never had tire issues. FWIW, as I remember it some of the tires failing like you show were still holding air. Many of our tubes had been repaired over and over again too so it wasn't the tubes going flat that caused it.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 09:12:53 AM »