Author Topic: DIY Pannier mount for standard bags on Radwagon4  (Read 2929 times)

donoftime

• View Profile
DIY Pannier mount for standard bags on Radwagon4
« on: May 28, 2022, 08:24:04 PM »
Hi all,

Like many others, I want to have both a Yepp child seat and panniers on the bike at the same time which rules out the Ballard bag from Rad. I found some panniers I liked, but of course most normal panniers won't work on the radwagon because the rack is much too large in diameter for hooks, and too wide for most bags with straps connecting them.

After a bit of deliberation, I put together what has turned out to be a pretty solid adapter using standard parts that should be available at any hardware store. Specifically, I used ...

The idea is to use the coupler material to protect the bike frame and offset the tubing such that there is space to get a pannier connected, and use the straps to secure the tubing to the bike. To do this, I ...

• ...remove the straps that came with the coupler. These will likely be too small to reach around the frame + tubing
  • ...cut the coupler in half to give me two separate pieces
  • ...cut a slit lengthwise in the coupler pieces to allow them to be placed around the frame
  • ...place a strap around the frame and coupler, with two attachment points on each side
  • ...insert the tubing between the strap and the coupler, ensuring it rests below the frame
  • ...tighten the straps, ensuring the excess strapping is rotated inside the bike to keep it out of the way

At that point, the tubes are attached firmly to the bike and offset by the coupler. It allows me to attach and detach my bags, though usually I leave them attached. For the bottom hook on the bags, I used a simple zip-tie to secure the hook to the frame to keep it from flopping, though the same idea could be reused at the bottom as well.

Hopefully that is helpful for anyone else who wants something like this!

Radio Runner

• View Profile
Re: DIY Pannier mount for standard bags on Radwagon4
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 11:28:00 PM »
nice work around!

donoftime

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 07:58:22 AM »
Thank you!

This is my first bike in years, not to mention it being my first ebike. This setup makes trips to the playground and grocery store infinitely more fun!

I was worried when buying it if the accessories would all work out together. But other than needing to figure out the panniers, it was painless. It arrived two weeks ago, and we have ridden it literally every day. The first thing my daughter says when I get off work is she wants to go ride the bicycle :)

I got the bike because I knew she would enjoy it, and so we would still be able to go to the playground during the summer when it is too far to walk in the heat.

But to be honest I think I enjoy riding it around just as much as she does :)

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 10:09:56 AM »
Very well done. Ingenious solution.

Harhir

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 11:02:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Great idea for the upper mount of panniers. How did you tie down the panniers at the bottom? I have some Ortliebs and self made cat litter buckets which I also need to tie down at the bottom so they don?t flap.
Thanks

Trogster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 01:42:41 PM »
There are other ways to accomplish this.  1/2-inch aluminum rod, shaped Teflon spaces, 2-Stainless fasteners.

Harhir

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 08:58:19 AM »
There are other ways to accomplish this.  1/2-inch aluminum rod, shaped Teflon spaces, 2-Stainless fasteners.
Thanks. That is a nice idea for the top mount. But how to clamp in the lower section of the panniers to the bike? I have a 2 sets of Ortliebs which have a lower anchoring point. I also built me some panniers out of kitty litter buckets with a bungee cord hook to tie them to the bottom of a bike rack. If the bags are fully loaded and heavy and are not tied to the frame they swing away from the bike when you are leaning into corners.

Trogster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 05:36:33 PM »
My Panier has a strap on the backside to tie to the bike frame.

Harhir

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 07:23:27 AM »
Hi all,

Like many others, I want to have both a Yepp child seat and panniers on the bike at the same time which rules out the Ballard bag from Rad. I found some panniers I liked, but of course most normal panniers won't work on the radwagon because the rack is much too large in diameter for hooks, and too wide for most bags with straps connecting them.

After a bit of deliberation, I put together what has turned out to be a pretty solid adapter using standard parts that should be available at any hardware store. Specifically, I used ...

The idea is to use the coupler material to protect the bike frame and offset the tubing such that there is space to get a pannier connected, and use the straps to secure the tubing to the bike. To do this, I ...

• ...remove the straps that came with the coupler. These will likely be too small to reach around the frame + tubing
  • ...cut the coupler in half to give me two separate pieces
  • ...cut a slit lengthwise in the coupler pieces to allow them to be placed around the frame
  • ...place a strap around the frame and coupler, with two attachment points on each side
  • ...insert the tubing between the strap and the coupler, ensuring it rests below the frame
  • ...tighten the straps, ensuring the excess strapping is rotated inside the bike to keep it out of the way

At that point, the tubes are attached firmly to the bike and offset by the coupler. It allows me to attach and detach my bags, though usually I leave them attached. For the bottom hook on the bags, I used a simple zip-tie to secure the hook to the frame to keep it from flopping, though the same idea could be reused at the bottom as well.

Hopefully that is helpful for anyone else who wants something like this!

Thanks for the idea with these rods. I originally wanted some large long panniers for my Radwagon but they are hard to find and very expensive. For now I added the aluminum rods to hang two panniers on either side. I already have a set of vintage Ortliebs and two panniers once sold by IKEA which have not been used in a while. I will give that a try. I also have some DIY cat litter bucket panniers I could use.
Now I need to work on a box solution for the top of the bike which does not block access to the panniers. I already have some ideas for that.

Thanks

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 07:23:27 AM »