Author Topic: Rad Rover 2015 motor upgrade  (Read 1958 times)

Philbert

• View Profile
Rad Rover 2015 motor upgrade
« on: May 26, 2022, 06:22:07 PM »
I have an original production run 2015 Rad Rover. I have had some issues and I need to replace the motor. I have been told by RAD that I will need to install a new Controller, Headlight, both left and right brake levers, Display, PAS sensor, Throttle, Motor, Wiring Harness and a new battery and rack. I can understand the need to replace some of these things given changes in plugs etc that may have taken place over the evolution of the bike, but some of this sounds excessive. Has anyone replaced a motor on one of these bikes, and if so, did you experience any issues? Did you do the Bolton Bikes upgrade or simply replace with a RAD supplied motor? Any help would be appreciated. :-\

JimInPT

• View Profile
Re: Rad Rover 2015 motor upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 07:13:34 PM »
Wow - all that would cost a fortune from Rad!  Awfully kind of them to let you reuse the frame, eh?   If you're still liking your bike, I'd recommend you check out CitizenCycle's YouTube channel - he has a ton of videos, reviewing other bikes, but he's come back to his original older Rover over and over with mods and upgrades to the point it's pretty much a whole different 2-wheel-drive, kajillion-watt firebreathing monster.

But you might get some ideas and sources for the parts he's tried and ended up using long-term to bring your bike back alive.  Motors are not hard to get for about $250-300 as I recall, and they'll be stronger and unlocked to apply as much power as you wish to do the job.  Install a new 35A controller/display package, tune up your brakes and I'd bet you'd be pretty happy for about $500 or so, but I'm not sure how different the 2015 models are from 2019-20 or so for wiring and such, so do your research and perhaps there's others here with same-series bike that can give you a hand.

Anyway, check out CC's channel and hunt down his Rover vids; that cat has done some interesting stuff and being handy but not a bike mechanic, had to learn it all as he went so it's instructive.

https://www.youtube.com/c/CitizenCycle925/videos
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 07:19:54 PM by JimInPT »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 01:09:02 PM »
That is a lot.  What was the total price?  I think the subtle hint is that you should buy a new Rad Rover.  I tend to agree.  7 years is a lot for a bicycle.  Some of the old hardware is dying like your battery!,  saddle, chain, front wheel, chainring, sprocket, bearings etc.) and it is probably cheaper to just get a new bike.  Probably the electronics and wiring harness are getting old too.

If you are doing this for fun then I totally support you.  But, even there, it may be cheaper to buy a new bike, strip it, and put it all on your old bike.

Philbert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 04:49:08 PM »
Hey Jim,
Thank  you for your reply to my question regarding my Rad Rover motor problem in May last year. It was much appreciated.
I have been unwell, and so havent been able to reply until now.
I am new to forums and their protocols, so dont know much about how to navigate them as well. So its taking me a while to find my way around.
I have been to been to CC's You Tube video channel, and he certainly looks like he knows his stuff. I will be contacting him as soon as I have figured out how.
Thanks again for your help. Have a great day.
Cheers, Phil B

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 11:36:30 AM »
I have been to been to CC's You Tube video channel, and he certainly looks like he knows his stuff. I will be contacting him as soon as I have figured out how.
Thanks again for your help. Have a great day.
Cheers, Phil B

I'd guess CC is too busy with his channel to offer much direct help, but it wouldn't hurt to try.  I was thinking more along the lines of educating yourself on the basics with his and others' videos, but you'd probably get faster help with specific questions (once you're ready to get started) right here on this forum - there are lots of very knowledgeable folks who've helped me when I was new to ebikes.  "Altema" in particular has posted a lot about his motor knowledge, but there are others as well.

Hope you have fun with the learning and doing process.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 11:36:30 AM »