News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Runner Plus with 35a controller, top speed improvement?

Started by XplsvAmnesia, May 25, 2022, 08:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

XplsvAmnesia

I just installed the35a controller with color LCD (bought from electrobikeworld on sale for 209 for the kit). I found a couple examples of settings for the RR and have tried those out. Definitely a big improvement in acceleration, but I was hoping to eek out a couple extra MPH for top speed. Speedo is saying I'm topping out at 24 with throttle on flat pavement, pedaling I can get 25-26mph, but I'm pedaling hard to get up there. Are there any other settings I can tweak or things I should check if anyone else has this kit installed on an RR+?

Radio Runner

How's the battery life impacted? Have you ridden a long ride to measure distance loss yet?

JimInPT

I think you've maxed-out the top speed at around 25mph; you'd need a higher-voltage battery and a new motor to exceed that (the Rad motors have a speed-limiting circuit, as I recall).

I have recently installed the same controller (from Bolton) and its benefit is more hill-climbing torque and acceleration from higher power delivery, not higher speed beyond about 24-25mph.

You got a good price on that upgrade kit, by the way.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

ElectricRides

Quote from: XplsvAmnesia on May 25, 2022, 08:33:47 PM
I just installed the35a controller with color LCD (bought from electrobikeworld on sale for 209 for the kit). I found a couple examples of settings for the RR and have tried those out. Definitely a big improvement in acceleration, but I was hoping to eek out a couple extra MPH for top speed. Speedo is saying I'm topping out at 24 with throttle on flat pavement, pedaling I can get 25-26mph, but I'm pedaling hard to get up there. Are there any other settings I can tweak or things I should check if anyone else has this kit installed on an RR+?

I had the Runner Plus with the 35amp controller with the stock motor and would get about the same speed you're getting. A controller will up your torque but only a new motor or higher voltage battery will up your top speed.

I made a video about how to speed up your Rad if you want to check it out: https://youtu.be/SF6-mo2eSj0

Altema

Quote from: JimInPT on May 26, 2022, 09:52:25 AM
I think you've maxed-out the top speed at around 25mph; you'd need a higher-voltage battery and a new motor to exceed that (the Rad motors have a speed-limiting circuit, as I recall).

I have recently installed the same controller (from Bolton) and its benefit is more hill-climbing torque and acceleration from higher power delivery, not higher speed beyond about 24-25mph.

You got a good price on that upgrade kit, by the way.
Yes, the Rad motor has an internal speed limiter that can't be bypassed. Changing to a different motor eliminates that. The EBW (Electro Bike World) and Bolton motors have the coils wound differently (7 strand vs 6 strand), so the EBW will have a bit more torque and the Bolton will have a bit more speed. Neither one has the internal speed limiter, so if you upgrade to a higher voltage battery (52v is the limit for the Bolton controller), you gain a few MPH. With the Bolton motor, the no-load speed with a fully charged 48v battery is 27.4mph. With a fully charged 52 volt battery, the no load speed is 29.8mph. Your speed in actual use will be a few mph slower.

JTK77

Stock motor will turn faster with higher voltage battery. Higher voltage means higher speed and this in turn means higher current which easily results in overheating problems.
Stock motor (G060.500.D ) comes in few different KV versions. At least older Rads came with several kv versions (7,8,9,10...)..
For example RR with stock motor and 62v here--> https://youtu.be/VDvENbyR5PA

Altema

Quote from: JTK77 on May 31, 2022, 09:24:36 AM
Stock motor will turn faster with higher voltage battery. Higher voltage means higher speed and this in turn means higher current which easily results in overheating problems.
Stock motor (G060.500.D ) comes in few different KV versions. At least older Rads came with several kv versions (7,8,9,10...)..
My motor gained nothing with a voltage increase, so I guess some motors have it and some do not. That was the only reason I switched out my Rad motor, as it had more locked rotor torque than the Bolton motor. My original motor is out on loan so I can't check the model numbers, but I did run into a wall at 1757.96 RPM (before gear reduction). Sucked for me, but good for those that don't have that issue. Water under the bridge now, lol.

JTK77

Quote from: Altema on May 31, 2022, 01:57:25 PM
My motor gained nothing with a voltage increase, so I guess some motors have it and some do not. That was the only reason I switched out my Rad motor, as it had more locked rotor torque than the Bolton motor. My original motor is out on loan so I can't check the model numbers, but I did run into a wall at 1757.96 RPM (before gear reduction). Sucked for me, but good for those that don't have that issue. Water under the bridge now, lol.

Gained no rpm (no load) with higher voltage? Did you use stock controller and display. The stock display of course has speed limiter hard coded.
Rpm/V should have linear fit R2=~0,99.

XplsvAmnesia

Thanks for the reply all! I need to change my notification settings so I see when people are replying haha. I havent done a long ride with it yet.

And thanks for the clarification on top end speed, I will have to deal with that for now and save up for a new motor/bat.  Still happy with the upgrade as acceleration was greatly increased for me, I still need to fine tune the PAS settings as I feel like Pas 1 is getting too much power. If Im riding with people on regular bikes I really only want the motor to help me with the weight of the bike and not help me cruise at 25mph blowing everyone else away :)

Altema

Quote from: JTK77 on June 01, 2022, 12:10:12 PM
Quote from: Altema on May 31, 2022, 01:57:25 PM

Gained no rpm (no load) with higher voltage? Did you use stock controller and display. The stock display of course has speed limiter hard coded.
Rpm/V should have linear fit R2=~0,99.
That was with the 25 and 35 amp upgrade controllers, and the speed set to the highest allowed. I was disappointed, and you could see the power curve off as it reached the limit. Sucks and I didn't want to buy another motor. I also tried disconnecting the speed sensor in the Julet connector, but all that did was make the speedometer stop working! 😂
I guess the best way to test it would have been with the Phaserunner, but I don't have that motor anymore. Switching to a different motor fixed the speed issue immediately.