News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

looking for thoughts on troubleshooting brakes on a Rad Rover 6 +

Started by Tree, May 25, 2022, 04:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Tree

I've gone about 800 miles since I got my Rad Rover 6+ new, and was planning on taking it into a nearby shop for a check up, etc, pretty soon.

However, it appears my front brake has stopped working. I felt it not quite working as it should the last week or so, and today, despite gripping it to the handle, stopping power is non-existent.

I believe the rear break may also be beginning to show signs of not working as it should, but I'm unsure if that's because if it's needing more braking power with the front brake out of commission.

anyway - any thoughts on figuring out what may be wrong with the front (and potentially rear) brake? I'd like to get to the point where I'm doing most things on my own, instead of going to the shop.

JimL

I have never got more than 250-350 miles out of my Rad bike brake pads (most of my miles are on mountain bike trails).  At 800 miles, I would expect the pads to be very thin or gone, which will increase the lever travel.

That's my "off the cuff" guess.  The pads are really easy to change.

Tree

I guess I need to figure out what sort of brake pads I need. Lol

Eric7

I don't know what brake pads you have. Some people can buy it off Amazon.  Maybe it is the brake pads - maybe not.  But why not give it a try and learn something even if I am wrong.

And if that does not work, you wasted a bit of money but then you have new pads (or extra pads).

When you do it yourself, it is so cheap, you can afford some mistakes. And knowing more about the bike and fixing it yourself is priceless.

Tree

Quote from: Eric7 on May 26, 2022, 06:30:46 AM
I don't know what brake pads you have. Some people can buy it off Amazon.  Maybe it is the brake pads - maybe not.  But why not give it a try and learn something even if I am wrong.

And if that does not work, you wasted a bit of money but then you have new pads (or extra pads).

When you do it yourself, it is so cheap, you can afford some mistakes. And knowing more about the bike and fixing it yourself is priceless.

oh, i totally agree. I do, at the very least, want to attempt this myself.

The issue at the moment is not being to find anywhere online what sort of brake pads i need, The rad site is useless, listing them only as "Ceramic pads".

Si1Dia

I just ordered brake pads for my rover 6+ from Rad. they were not listed on the website so I called in and they have a lot I was told. they are on the way they were $5.00 for a set.

JimL

I will definitely get more pads.  These are actually thinner material than the pads in my Mini's.  Fortunately, this bike is for my wife who doesn't ride mountain bike trails anymore.  They will last her a while.  At my age, I am better off riding the trails on my Mini.  The rougher ride forces me to slow down. 

I did check to see if the Mini pads would fit the caliper.  I would have to grind the edge of the metal back plate (slightly) to fit them in, but I don't know if the extra thickness will work.  I will probably try it, at some point, because I have many sets of those pads on hand (there was a 2 for 1 price on Amazon last year...and I went a little overboard).

Eric7

Quote from: JimL on May 26, 2022, 06:56:25 PM
I did check to see if the Mini pads would fit the caliper.  I would have to grind the edge of the metal back plate (slightly) to fit them in, but I don't know if the extra thickness will work.  I will probably try it, at some point, because I have many sets of those pads on hand (there was a 2 for 1 price on Amazon last year...and I went a little overboard).

Can you give me a link to the Rad Mini ST2 Original Equipment (meaning mechanical brakes) pads?  That's what I have and I thought I might order some just to have a spare.  Thanks.

JimL

Check Amazon for Tektro E10.11 pads.

Tree

Quote from: JimL on May 26, 2022, 08:49:53 PM

not sure if you're responding to me, or the other person asking about pads for a different bike, but according to Rad, those pads are NOT for the Rad Rober 6+.

JimL

Correct.  Those E10.11 fit the Mini calipers....not the Rover 6.

sputnik3

Assuming you have the Nutt hydraulic brakes, these will work:
https://amzn.to/3Nlwpxq
I've been using these with my RadCity 5plus and they have been working great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fionn

My front brake is feeling a bit spongy, might need to be adjusted I'm not sure yet! I looked at Rad's eu site and they have the Tektro E10.11 mentioned but in the compatibility section they state:
All ebike models except RadRhino 6 Plus and RadCity 5 Plus, I have the RadRhino 6 Plus so cant use those, it's not very helpful when they don't list the appropriate accessories on their site for the bikes they're selling.

Eric7

Quote from: JimL on May 26, 2022, 08:49:53 PM

Thank you for this tip for brake pads for a Rad Mini ST2.  I am just saying this (Rad Mini ST2) so others not following the thread closely would not be confused.
Thanks again.