Author Topic: Rad Expand 5 Child Seat options  (Read 3976 times)

chonger

• View Profile
Rad Expand 5 Child Seat options
« on: May 24, 2022, 11:46:15 AM »
Hi community,

I am interested in using the Rad Expand 5 to transport my toddler to and from day care.

I am aware of some of the limiting options we have but I am having a hard time finding a child seat that is compatible with the rear rack. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I am not interested in getting a trailer either.

Thanks!

msndave

• View Profile
Re: Rad Expand 5 Child Seat options
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 08:07:10 PM »
Hi community,

I am interested in using the Rad Expand 5 to transport my toddler to and from day care.

I am aware of some of the limiting options we have but I am having a hard time finding a child seat that is compatible with the rear rack. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I am not interested in getting a trailer either.

Thanks!

The RadExpand is basically a stripped down RadMini Step-Thru. If you Google "Radmini Childseat" you can find various examples.  Also, YouTube has some handy videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqAhMXNXwlY&ab_channel=PrimeUnboxing If you need something bigger you can go for something like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/RadPowerBikes/comments/t878yq/radmini_stepthru_2_with_two_child_seats/                   Happy Trails!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:11:09 PM by msndave »

chonger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 11:09:16 AM »
Thanks so much MSNDAVE for the info.

I did check the tire width for both and it seems like the EXPAND 5 has a 1 inch increase compared to the step through.

Also, on the website it says it's not compatible:
Compatibility
All 2018 and after model ebikes except RadMission 1, RadMini (all model years), RadMini Step-Thru (all model years),and RadExpand 5

But the video you showed the guy was able to squeeze it on. Do both bikes have the exact same rack?

chonger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 01:06:03 PM »
Update. Yepp bike seat fits but it's a bit of a squeeze to get on.

osupikapp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 01:06:16 PM »
I encountered the same squeeze/tight fit with my RE5. I bought the Thule Maxi Yepp EasyFit bracket, hoping that might reduce the squeeze, but the bracket will not fit onto the stock rack on the back of a RE5 as the bracket won't go wide enough, and because of how it attaches, it would force the child seat too close to the bike seat. I am sending the bracket back. Just letting you know in case you had any similar thoughts.

kadakpav

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 06:34:49 PM »
Thanks for the info. This helped me finalize my decision to get the Yepp Maxi for my RE5. Just placed an order. I'll keep the forum posted on how it fits.

osupikapp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 10:02:06 AM »
I?ve been using the Thule Yepp seat now for several months to do kids drop off/pick up at school and daycare. The seat still attaches quickly, secures in place well to the RE5 rack, locks in place (with keys if needed), and can be removed all quickly enough to throw it on in the morning right before we leave. It is still a tight squeeze, but a great seat for the RE5. We bought a second one for my wife?s RadRunner 3 instead of the Thule trailer. Good luck with the Yepp.

If you hadn?t bought it already, I might suggest Amazons Warehouse deals. We got both out seats through there for $50 off. That said, Rad is also having a sale for the same price for this weekend. Amazon Warehouse is generally returned merchandise, but both seats were very close to brand new.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 10:02:06 AM »