Author Topic: Current RadWagon 4 has different components than listed, and tubes out of stock  (Read 5063 times)

philvarner

• View Profile
I got my RadWagon 4 last week, and a few of the components are different than listed in the website specs.  The Rad website lists the RadWagon 4 with Tektro Aries calipers and Tektro rotors and no brand on the brake levers, whereas this one shipped with all "Radius" branded brakes. From what I can tell, this is an OEM pseudo-brand, and seems to be a significant step down from what was already a marginal braking system (e.g., the only cargo bike to come with mechanic disc rather than hydraulic).

Likewise, the shifter and derailleur is spec'ed as being Shimano, but ships with the Shimano-compatible Microshift Mezzo kit. Probably not a whole lot of difference there, but it does seem bad to me that they're still listing a well-known brand name but not shipping with it.

Also, I ordered a new tube on Tuesday after accidentally over-inflating and blowing up my rear one, and it still hasn't shipped as of Friday afternoon, even though the site still advertises 2 business days -- I imagine that they're having some supply chain issues, since there's only one supplier of them. The custom sized wheels for the RW4 was probably by biggest hesitancy in getting one, and now... I've also ordered a 22"x2.1-2.4 BMX tire to try out if the Rad ones don't come, and will report back on how that goes.

Eric7

• View Profile
I canceled my post.  Was suggesting you order non-unique stuff from other mail order places but I see you did already.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 02:41:21 PM by Eric7 »

Radio Runner

• View Profile
I?m surprised to hear there?s another 22? tire available from someone other than Rad. Who?s making it?

philvarner

• View Profile
I?m surprised to hear there?s another 22? tire available from someone other than Rad. Who?s making it?

Apparently it's an (uncommon) BMX size. There are a couple options in 2.1-2.4 width (and more in narrower), which might be close enough to work in a 3" tire:

S&M brand: https://www.danscomp.com/s-m-22-inner-tube-schrader-2.1-2.4-05-tube-22/p1307312?v=1225413
Dan's house brand: https://www.danscomp.com/dans-comp-deluxe-22-bmx-inner-tube-schrader-2.1-2.4-32mm-446006x1x2125/p1307320?v=1080559

Radio Runner

• View Profile
Interesting, However "close enough" could mean paper thin rubber when inflated to the 3.0 volume. Another issue is the area around the valve stem never inflates like the rest of the tube does. This leaves an uneven skinnier spot on the tire. Hour glass like if you can imagine.

NaturallyRC

I'm shocked by the recent level of swapping component brands (though I recall seeing this clause in the fine print). Rad is acting like a company on the verge of going under, these days...or a company squeezed by new management to wring bigger profits out of each sale. Not sure which is worse.

a few of the components are different than listed in the website specs.  The Rad website lists the RadWagon 4 with Tektro Aries calipers and Tektro rotors and no brand on the brake levers, whereas this one shipped with all "Radius" branded brakes. From what I can tell, this is an OEM pseudo-brand, and seems to be a significant step down from what was already a marginal braking system (e.g., the only cargo bike to come with mechanic disc rather than hydraulic). Likewise, the shifter and derailleur is spec'ed as being Shimano, but ships with the Shimano-compatible Microshift Mezzo kit. Probably not a whole lot of difference there, but it does seem bad to me that they're still listing a well-known brand name but not shipping with it.

philvarner

• View Profile
I'm shocked by the recent level of swapping component brands (though I recall seeing this clause in the fine print). Rad is acting like a company on the verge of going under, these days...or a company squeezed by new management to wring bigger profits out of each sale. Not sure which is worse.

I noticed after I bought on the lengthy spec page that is says "To ensure uninterrupted shipping, some parts may differ from those listed. Rest assured, our engineers rigorously test each component to guarantee quality and compatibility".

philvarner

• View Profile
I got the 22 x 2.1-2.4 BMX tubes, and compared them against the 22 x 3 rad tubes. The BMX one is much smaller (more towards 2.1 than 2.4) and the rubber is about half as thick.  Definitely not putting them on the bike. Still waiting for my tube order from last week to ship -- rad support said it should be "early this week" -- if that's the case, I wish they wouldn't advertise on their website that it's going to ship in 2 business days!

NaturallyRC

Same way when I'm out of local fresh mushrooms, I hold up a can that reads, product of China, and say, "Ehh, better than nothing."    ;D

I noticed after I bought on the lengthy spec page that is says "To ensure uninterrupted shipping, some parts may differ from those listed. Rest assured, our engineers rigorously test each component to guarantee quality and compatibility".

Eric7

• View Profile
I am a Rad fan, don't own the Rad Wagon, but this is something of concern to me.

Does this means that if Rad disappears tomorrow, all the RadWagons will be obsolete for lack of inner tubes and tires.  Once again, I am a Rad fan and I have no wish for anything bad happening to Rad.  I am concerned that this thread seem to indicate that there is only one supplier in the whole world for tires and tubes.  And tires and tubes are rapidly consumed items.

philvarner

• View Profile
I am a Rad fan, don't own the Rad Wagon, but this is something of concern to me.

Does this means that if Rad disappears tomorrow, all the RadWagons will be obsolete for lack of inner tubes and tires.  Once again, I am a Rad fan and I have no wish for anything bad happening to Rad.  I am concerned that this thread seem to indicate that there is only one supplier in the whole world for tires and tubes.  And tires and tubes are rapidly consumed items.

Vee is the only manufacturer of the tires, and they're only available through Rad. Vee also made the tubes that came on my RW4, but then the replacement tube I just got (which was delayed in shipping by week, so I know they just got them) was made by another company (started with an M, but can't remember now), but they're also only available through Rad.

So... yeah, it's a huge risk, but there are hopefully enough RW4s out there now that someone would continue to sell them at some (likely high) price.

Eric7

• View Profile
So... yeah, it's a huge risk, but there are hopefully enough RW4s out there now that someone would continue to sell them at some (likely high) price.

Thank you so much for answering my question.  I wonder sometimes why a 22 inch wheel was chosen.  Would it make such a big difference if Rad chose a 20 inch wheel?  Now Rad is limited to one supplier.

There are probably enough Rad Wagons out there that there always be a supplier. 

philvarner

• View Profile
After two weeks, I finally got the new tube in the mail, put it on last night, and on my second use today (just a few blocks) the back tire popped off and the tube exploded. No idea what's wrong with it, but I'm started a return for the whole bike now.

Eric7

• View Profile
The only time I had an explosion deflation is when I overinflated my Burley trailer 30-pound tire to 60 pounds.  A new tube fixed that.  The fitting between the tire and rim was minimal, I could change the tire with my bare hands.

I am listing my thoughts.  Not shifting the blame on you, just listing everything I can think of.

Explosive leaks happen not because of some puncture.  I think your tire or tire/rim is not holding together.

You can always send it back but I don't think they make it easy for you.  You might have to pay shipping fees.

The things I can think of:

1.  Rad is to blame.  Bad tire - can't hold the tube in under pressure.  Bad tubes.  Bad wheel, spokes poking the tire.  Maybe no rim tape?  Very unlikely, maybe the rim is bad but this is very unlikely.

2.  You overinflated the tires.  Maybe you have a bad tire gauge and you are pumping too much then, and even now because your gauge is bad.

3.  You damaged the tire with overinflation.  Now, even with regular inflation, the tire won't hold the tube in because the bead or something else is broken or stretched so now it does not stay on the rim.

4.  You damaged the rim tape with overinflation.  Poked a hole in it.

5. You are putting the tubes in wrong, not inflating just a little and checking the tire is even all around and the tube is properly in the tire.  Pinching the tube when installing or when removing.

I would not use the tire again. Bad Karma or something got damaged.  Like maybe no more rubber on the bead next to the rim.  Stretched so now it is really 5% bigger all around.  Just something.  Buy new tire, new tube and new rim tape before trying again.

I am not a Rad apologist and I am not saying you are wrong.  The bike can be defective too. I am just listing everything I can think of that you can check.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 07:29:07 PM by Eric7 »

Smalltown Cyclist

• View Profile
No reason to worry. You will find an enormous amount of possible motorcycle tires that will fit. Take the "etrto" measurement ("457-45") and select a 3.00" x 18" motorcycle tire. Depending on the brand, the prices are between 25.00 Euro and 80.00 Euro.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 11:57:02 PM by Smalltown Cyclist »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum