News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Hitch Racks

Started by Bob Rivera, August 15, 2020, 02:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Bob Rivera

I have 2 Rover Step Throughs ordered @ 71 lbs each. All the racks I looked at have a max capacity of 60-65 lbs. Only Hollywood Racks has one that will hold my bikes. And they're out of stock. There is not much of a choice out there if you have 2 Rovers. I've talked with different companies and the answer is the same. 60lbs max. Does any one have any ideas other than taking off the batteries? And with doing that its still over.

W Kevin Dougherty

I have been looking on Amazon s motorcycle racks rated for 350lbs
Under $250.00
Kevin

Bob Rivera

Thanks Kevin. I will look into motorcycle racks.

jwatsoninfla

Don't bother with going in any other direction besides Hollywood Racks. They have one specifically designed for our heave, fart-tired ebikes that is plenty strong. They are great to work with and offer veterans a 20 percent discount. I'm very happy with mine

Bob Rivera

I agree Hollywood Racks is the only solution. Ijust hope I can get one when they"re back in stock. Im on their e mail list. Thanks for the help.

kev12345

swagman e-spec black holds two bikes at 70lbs each. you can remove the batteries but i'm not sure if the battery terminals can handle getting rained on without the battery there?

Jr Samples

I got the KAC Overdrive Sports KS, it will haul the Rovers.

https://amzn.to/34gTa1R

Lots of YouTube vids out there that have it and they all swear by it.
Lower price than Hollywood and in stock.

Jman

I hear nothing but good things about the racks from https://www.1up-usa.com/

I don't have one myself but I will probably get one at some point. Oh and they are made in the USA too.

Jr Samples

1Up looks like a great bike rack; however, not sure there is any lock system to keep the bike on the rack. Might be easy to steal the bike.

Gene Pozniakoff

We have two Rad City, one ST and my Regular frame. We also have the Overdrive Sport 2 bike hitch that we have on our class 4 hitch, Ford Flex. No issues whatever with the rack and both bikes mounted. We remove the batteries prior to mounting them, The ST is a bit heavier, so it mounts closer to the Flex. We face them in opposite directions, strap them in with a few bungie cords along with the hook mounts for the rack. Have had no issues. We use the accessory bar for the ST as it's frame won't allow the rack hook to securely contain it. We used some of the high quality foam that cam with the bikes to prevent frame from getting scratched by the accessory bar. Best of luck with your choices!

1Eye

I have two ST bikes also and was lucky enough to have ordered the Hollywood rack about 3 weeks ago from their site. I was looking at trays and cheaper alternatives and while this rack is costly it's cheaper than a lot of the others that you could try but are really over their recommended weight restrictions.

The biggest reason I went with this was I needed something my wife could load and unload by herself. The tilt down feature and the fact that you can put a single bike on the outside of the rack makes this a lot easier.

I could have picked a rack and then modified it for the bikes (overall wheel span is an issue unless you don't mind your tires resting on the thin edge of the rack wall) but the thought of having her try to figure out strapping it down correctly quickly made me rethink my solution.

A word of caution. This probably applies to any rack. We took our first official trip with the bikes. I had it on my full size Nissan Titan truck. My brother-in-law was following us. When we got to our destination the first thing he said is that he could not see my tail light at all. No brake lights, no turn signals. I have since bought a taillight extension bar that I will mount on the rack. Check it before you drive and if you have a hitch but not a power outlet for trailer lights I would get one.

On the way home we got separated and in heavy traffic on the highway. I had a women almost plow into me when traffic braked suddenly and it would have totally been my fault. I don't even want to think about the liability if someone would have gotten hurt.

GET

I bought Rolla bike platform from e trailer.  Will hold one bike up to 85 pounds and two up to 75 lbs each.  Great product.  They require a 2" receiver on your vehicle.  Cost for two bike platform was $270, free shipping.  Easy to put your bikes on and easy to secure.  Might take a look

GET

THe name of the platform I was referring to is Rola convoy 2, $270 from e-trailer

Dan B

Quote from: GET on August 20, 2020, 08:16:07 PM
THe name of the platform I was referring to is Rola convoy 2, $270 from e-trailer

I also have the Convoy 2 and am very impressed with its ease of use and it is very heavy duty..the tilt back feature helps with access to hatchbacks or tail gates on trucks. It is heavy so I usually leave it folded and leave it on the truck most of the time.