Author Topic: Rad city 5 + wheel and tires understanding dimensions and possibility.  (Read 5303 times)

david.platt@mac.com

• View Profile

I Started looking at tires for the RC5+ and the I realized just how much there is to learn! I wanted to put this info all in one place.

RadCity5+

From Rad :

“Double wall aluminum alloy, 36 hole
Rim width: 25 mm.”

“27.5" x 2.0", e-bike rated with puncture-resistant liner *tires received may not include branding.”

The rims that came with say :

ETRTO 584x24  Alloy 6061-T6

6061 is a precipitation-hardened aluminium alloy, containing magnesium and silicon as its major alloying elements. Originally called "Alloy 61S", it was developed in 1935. It has good mechanical properties, exhibits good weldability, and is very commonly extruded. Wikipedia

By applying the T6 temper to 6061 aluminum, the typical yield strength nearly quadruples, from 8 ksi to about 35 ksi (ksi is a unit of stress).

The tires that came on the RC5+ say

: < ROTATION VEE TIRE CO
                         : 50/100-584  M/C  37B MOPED
                         : 27.5 X2.0 (50-584)

:35-65 psi / 2.5-4.5 bar / 240 - 450 kPa.

Replacement tires on Rads site: Kenda Kontact - 27.5" x 1.95"

Does VEE TIRE CO make Kenda’s ? Isn’t it a bit misleading If they don’t.

Just a bunch of random specifications obviously designed for someone’s job security inmho.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/tire-wheel-and-inner-tube-fit-standards

https://bike.bikegremlin.com/285/bicycle-tyre-dimensions/

https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter/Road-Bike-Tire-Width-Charts.html

https://issuu.com/wtb1982/docs/17_wtbcatalog-consumer-internationa/27

https://www.cateye.com/data/resources/Tire_size_chart_ENG_151106.pdf

Ok my heads spinning now so I’m going to work on this and edit it some more later 🙂

Most important dimensions  to remember are 27.5 X2.0 or (50-584) metric.
They also fit into the 650B reality somehow
https://www.fullcycle.ca/product-list/tires-tubes-1101/tires-1103/650b-1235/?rb_sz=27%2E5%20x%202%2E0
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 01:19:34 PM by david.platt@mac.com »

DrSmile

• View Profile
I can tell you that the stock tires are garbage, they aren't round. The rims are pretty crappy too but they should be sturdy enough to last a while. There is nothing specific about these wheel or tires (except for the motor mounted on the rear rim), they are standard 27.5 inch, which is half way between a 26 inch MTB tire and a 29 inch tire. Although it's probably the least common "standard" tire size they aren't hard to find. Just look for a 2 inch wide 27.5 inch (also called ISO 584) size.

david.platt@mac.com

• View Profile
I can tell you that the stock tires are garbage, they aren't round. The rims are pretty crappy too but they should be sturdy enough to last a while. There is nothing specific about these wheel or tires (except for the motor mounted on the rear rim), they are standard 27.5 inch, which is half way between a 26 inch MTB tire and a 29 inch tire. Although it's probably the least common "standard" tire size they aren't hard to find. Just look for a 2 inch wide 27.5 inch (also called ISO 584) size.

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/schwalbe-marathon-e-plus-performance-smart-dualguard-27.5--mtb-tyre/138048579/p

How about these tires what do you think.

rjp

• View Profile
I would give those tires a try, they look good to me

FL-GK

• I Love My e-Bike!
    • View Profile

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/schwalbe-marathon-e-plus-performance-smart-dualguard-27.5--mtb-tyre/138048579/p

Here is what I did. These tires are performing excellently. They are a 27.5 X 2.3 wide ISO (60-584) (for any tire tube questions just match ISO). They have made it a different and better bike. I did have to modify the fender attachment by widen the attachment bar, cutting it in the middle and using plastic tube attached to the fender and simply pressing the metal into that, so far works perfectly and is quite (I'll send a picture later, I don't have one with me). I have done both bike now too (one mine, one wife).

JoeSoMD

• View Profile
Re: Rad city 5 + wheel and tires understanding dimensions and possibility.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 08:42:39 AM »
I think it is noteworthy that the tires on the RC5+ are furnished with a tube-puncture preventing material/liner on the inside of the tire that is supposed to protect the inner tube.  An interesting thing is that the manufacturer of the "liner" states that the tire pressure needs to be reduced.  To 55psi from memory.  This is not reflected in any of the Rad Power guides AFAIK.

FL-GK

• I Love My e-Bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 09:44:39 AM »
I think it is noteworthy that the tires on the RC5+ are furnished with a tube-puncture preventing material/liner on the inside of the tire that is supposed to protect the inner tube.  An interesting thing is that the manufacturer of the "liner" states that the tire pressure needs to be reduced.  To 55psi from memory.  This is not reflected in any of the Rad Power guides AFAIK.

I was wondering about that. I still have my old tires so I'm going to double check the inside ( I'm pretty sure I already did this and found... NOTHING - LOL). I'll double check and report back if I remember.

david.platt@mac.com

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 12:55:51 PM »

They don?t include a puncture resistant liner like Tanus  https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51s-90LyRTL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

vee tires are quite solid : over built old school county tires. With a super thick simple rubber side wall.

They may have a tough carcass so in a sense puncture proof.

But not tanus armoured.

I have 700km of hot summer riding starting at 63 lbs to allow some expansion. They are perfect and give me better range.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 12:58:35 PM by david.platt@mac.com »

JoeSoMD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 02:52:48 AM »
You are right... I was wrong... the Tanus "liner" is an add-on and not stock with the RC5+.  There are lots of videos on the Tanus liners... advantages and disadvantages...  I sprung for a pair and I will use in conjunction with "Mr. Tuffy" liner strips so I can keep the tires hard for lower rolling resistance.  I commute with my RC5+ 31miles round trip each day and I just don't want to deal with a flat if I don't have to.  I'll report back when I get a sense of how the Tanus with Tuffy liners perform.

JoeSoMD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2022, 03:46:42 AM »
Here's replacement tire options for the RadCity 5+ that I've researched.... my application is that I use my RC5+ as a daily commuter (31miles round trip).

Schwalbe
Marathon E-Plus
Bead: Wired | Colour: Black-Reflex | Compound: Addix E | ETRTO: 50-584 | Inch: 27.5x2.00 | Quality: Performance Line | Seal: Tube | Version: Smart DualGuard  67TPI  1170 grams
Product number: 11159057.01
They go for $65 each.
They have an E-50 rating (suitable for pedal / electric's) up to 50kph (30mph) continuous {E-BIKE 50KPH (E-50) indicates that tire has passed the ECE-R75 E-Bike certification for E-Bikes with speeds up to 50 kilometers (30 miles) per hour.}
I've also used Schwalbe tires on my "pedal only" commuter bike, prior to getting the E-bike, and have been very happy with them.

Would appreciate if anyone has found other options.  I've not been able to find a source for the Vee Tire Company tires that came with the bike, and the 27.5x1.95 Kenda's being sold by Rad Power as replacements don't seem to be in the Kenda system anymore, but a similar Kenda seems to be their Kwick Drumlin K1216E product 214215 27.5x2.00 51-584   65psi 60TPI   SINGLE K-SHIELD PLUS   WIRE 1463?73g.  These have an E-50 rating too and cost around $39.  They are 300g or so heavier than the Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus.  I personally wouldn't mind the extra weight.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 04:10:35 AM by JoeSoMD »

david.platt@mac.com

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 08:18:50 AM »
Here's replacement tire options for the RadCity 5+ that I've researched.... my application is that I use my RC5+ as a daily commuter (31miles round trip).

Schwalbe
Marathon E-Plus
Bead: Wired | Colour: Black-Reflex | Compound: Addix E | ETRTO: 50-584 | Inch: 27.5x2.00 | Quality: Performance Line | Seal: Tube | Version: Smart DualGuard  67TPI  1170 grams
Product number: 11159057.01
They go for $65 each.
They have an E-50 rating (suitable for pedal / electric's) up to 50kph (30mph) continuous {E-BIKE 50KPH (E-50) indicates that tire has passed the ECE-R75 E-Bike certification for E-Bikes with speeds up to 50 kilometers (30 miles) per hour.}
I've also used Schwalbe tires on my "pedal only" commuter bike, prior to getting the E-bike, and have been very happy with them.

Would appreciate if anyone has found other options.  I've not been able to find a source for the Vee Tire Company tires that came with the bike, and the 27.5x1.95 Kenda's being sold by Rad Power as replacements don't seem to be in the Kenda system anymore, but a similar Kenda seems to be their Kwick Drumlin K1216E product 214215 27.5x2.00 51-584   65psi 60TPI   SINGLE K-SHIELD PLUS   WIRE 1463?73g.  These have an E-50 rating too and cost around $39.  They are 300g or so heavier than the Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus.  I personally wouldn't mind the extra weight.

I have this on my back wheel. Marathon Mondial, it is significantly lighter than the E-Plus and almost twice the price. This tire is only e-25 rated but I always average a speed slower than that. This is a great foldable spare tire : the Kevlar bead makes putting them on easy. Both of these marathon tires have exactly the same tread. This tread is especially good for when safety means driving onto the soft shoulder and fish tailing is all but eliminated. I run it at 67 lbs to allow some room if there is expansion on hot days.

50-584   27.5x2.00   DD, V-Guard   Tube      E-25   Addix   Black-Reflex   2.5-5.0   35-70   780 g   67      11600785.01   Evolution Line   US$89.00
Index: -
Tube: -
Profile: HS428
Ean: 4026495872812

« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 09:11:55 AM by david.platt@mac.com »

JoeSoMD

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 03:54:53 AM »
Here's more on the stock Vee Tire Company tires that came with my RadCity5+

Marking on tire was 50/100-584 M/C 37B MOPED
The 50=50mm width
The 100 = aspect ratio % which in this case means that the tire depth is 100% of the tire width = 100% x 50mm = 50mm deep tire
The 584 is the rim diameter.  This is the same as the 650B European standard
M/C = motorcycle (I think... could not verify)
37B = the load and speed rating ... 37 = 282 pounds .... B = up to 31mph
MOPED = moped application (I think... could not verify).

FL-GK

• I Love My e-Bike!
    • View Profile
Re: Rad city 5 + wheel and tires understanding dimensions and possibility’s.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2022, 09:47:40 AM »

Here is what I did. These tires are performing excellently. They are a 27.5 X 2.3 wide ISO (60-584) (for any tire tube questions just match ISO). They have made it a different and better bike. I did have to modify the fender attachment by widen the attachment bar, cutting it in the middle and using plastic tube attached to the fender and simply pressing the metal into that, so far works perfectly and is quite (I'll send a picture later, I don't have one with me). I have done both bike now too (one mine, one wife).

So, while I can't say it was the tires "fault" I hit some deep/loose gravel, I lost traction and broke my clavicle. Have not rode since August 19th - big sigh. I was being super careful (was all done doing my stupid stuff) but these bikes are big fast and heavy (all terms meant as compliment) so it can happen.

david.platt@mac.com

• View Profile
Re: Rad city 5 + wheel and tires understanding dimensions and possibility’s.
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2022, 05:45:56 PM »
So, while I can't say it was the tires "fault" I hit some deep/loose gravel, I lost traction and broke my clavicle. Have not rode since August 19th - big sigh. I was being super careful (was all done doing my stupid stuff) but these bikes are big fast and heavy (all terms meant as compliment) so it can happen.
[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your spill!

The tread pattern, which is the same on the EVO and on the e-bike version doesn?t wash out on sandy or loose pea gravel nearly as much.

Same compound and tread pattern.
It is a tremendous difference, even only being on the rear wheel.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum