News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

$120 bicycle stand

Started by Eric7, May 02, 2022, 01:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Eric7

My $120 bicycle stand rated for 55 pounds.  This is about the range of movement my body and the bicycle stand can handle.  Good enough for me.

JimInPT

Those Bike Hand stands are quite good for their prices; I bought the 110-lb version for my Mini, which is pushing 80 lbs with accessories and no battery (https://amzn.to/3FUvykv).  I'm very happy with its materials and construction at much lower price than the Park equivalents. 

Did you just manhandle it into the air to get it into the clamp?
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Eric7

Quote from: JimInPT on May 02, 2022, 03:15:47 PM
Those Bike Hand stands are quite good for their prices; I bought the 110-lb version for my Mini, which is pushing 80 lbs with accessories and no battery (https://amzn.to/3FUvykv).  I'm very happy with its materials and construction at much lower price than the Park equivalents. 

Did you just manhandle it into the air to get it into the clamp?

I think you have the same general design and like you said, the more sturdy version.  Your stand looks nice.

Yes.  I just manhandle it - maybe not so smoothly. First I take out the battery. Then  I have the jaws open just wide enough for the seat stem and I hang it like a piece of clothing.  The saddle prevents the bike from slipping out.  Then I clamp it shut.  Since mine is not heavy duty, I just lift the front and put it on a stool to work on the front unless I am spinning the front tire.  Then I lock it and spin the front tire.  If I want to work on the back tire I just let the front drop to the ground - as shown in the picture.  It is useful for cleaning the bike and adjusting the brakes.

How do you get the bike onto the repair stand?

Radio Runner

SemperVee

got  a great stand onsale from amazon for Abt $68

Eric7

Quote from: SemperVee on May 03, 2022, 07:29:16 AM
got  a great stand onsale from amazon for Abt $68

Glad you can get one for a good price.

I found that my model and a stool is good enough for everything I want to do.  I actually wish the model goes lower so I can stabilize the bike when it is sitting on the ground because I don't need to lift the bike for some things - like putting on a handlebar.  A bike parking stand would be nice too. 

JimInPT

Quote from: Eric7 on May 02, 2022, 05:07:09 PMHow do you get the bike onto the repair stand?

LOL, I don't... yet.  Just got the stand a few days ago and set it up to check out, was very satisfied with materials and construction.  My first planned use is for dropping the front wheel to replace the quick-release with a solid bolted axle, also just received.

My current plan is to remove battery, locks and other stuff not fastened on (as you do), then get up on a short stepstool and deadlift the bike up into the clamp.  Not as young, strong and spry as I used to be, so these things take a bit more planning ahead.

I got a Hollywood-brand temporary crossbar for use while traveling on the hitch rack; might put that into place as the grab point if I need more fore/aft adjustment for balancing it during maintenance.

Eric7

Quote from: JimInPT on May 03, 2022, 09:41:55 AM
LOL, I don't... yet.  Just got the stand a few days ago and set it up to check out, was very satisfied with materials and construction.  My first planned use is for dropping the front wheel to replace the quick-release with a solid bolted axle, also just received.

My current plan is to remove battery, locks and other stuff not fastened on (as you do), then get up on a short stepstool and deadlift the bike up into the clamp.  Not as young, strong and spry as I used to be, so these things take a bit more planning ahead.

I got a Hollywood-brand temporary crossbar for use while traveling on the hitch rack; might put that into place as the grab point if I need more fore/aft adjustment for balancing it during maintenance.

I have thought of mounting a pully on my garage ceiling to lift the bike but it is probably too complicated.

I am not as strong as I used to be.  I have many pictures of me lifting a bike over my head - but they were sub 25-pound bikes.  I think I can still clean and jerk 70 pounds but I cannot lift the Rad Mini ST2 over my head because there is nothing good to hold on to.  I have been thinking of staging a photo of me lifting the Rad Mini ST2 over my head.  I would need to rubberband the brake levers so the wheels don't spin and tie the front wheel so it does not steer. Then I need to get 2 tall and relatively fit friends.  Have them lift the bike up.  I just hold the bike and they disappear while my picture is being taken.  Afterward, they would come and rescue me and put the bike down.  That would be a good photo.  :)

JimInPT

Quote from: Eric7 on May 04, 2022, 05:03:43 AMI have thought of mounting a pully on my garage ceiling to lift the bike but it is probably too complicated.

That's a very good idea, and you reminded me of a pulley system I used to have set up to stow kayaks in the garage ceiling.  Compound pulley design makes the pull-strength manageable.  Don't forget about possible clearance requirements for an open garage door. 

I wouldn't work on a swinging bike in the air, just use it to hoist and hold bike in position to get clamped up in the stand.

I might have to order one now.
https://amzn.to/3LkoY7N

jastewart325

Does anyone use Handlebar Jacks? I have ordered a pair but haven't received them yet. Cheaper and apparently no lifting of the entire bike required.

JimInPT

Quote from: jastewart325 on May 06, 2022, 07:35:17 PM
Does anyone use Handlebar Jacks? I have ordered a pair but haven't received them yet. Cheaper and apparently no lifting of the entire bike required.

I have a set of them; it's a clever idea and they're very well made.  I put them into the on-bike toolkit for emergencies and other than testing to make sure they'll fit onto the right locations on my MiniST handlebar, I haven't used them with the bike inverted on top.  I'm sure they can carry the load, it's just too awkward to get the bike into that position unless I really need it to be.

I think they're much better than just inverting onto the bars and grips for e-bikes with displays and other stuff on the bars and having corresponded with the company founder/owner, I think the business deserves the support if you think you can use the product.

Eric7

I can do everything without a bike stand when I was younger and poorer and a few books or cinderblocks works like Handlebar Jacks. Flipping a 30 pound bike is great.  I remember fondly flipping the bike over to true the wheels back then.   Flipping a 70 pound may be too much trouble for me now.  Also, I don't want to bend to the ground to adjust the handlebar - getting too old.

A lot of adjustments are easier with the bike right side up.

avg_joe

I have them and use them almost weekly on my Rad Rover. They hold the bike securely, very happy with them.

I put a rear rack on my Rover, so when I'm getting ready to flip the bike over: I remove the seat/post, place a cut and slit pool noodle on the rear of the rack and secure it with a bungie, squeeze the rear brake and start walking backwards. Even this +70lb bike is easy to manage this way.

jastewart325

Quote from: avg_joe on May 11, 2022, 12:21:05 PM

I have them and use them almost weekly on my Rad Rover. They hold the bike securely, very happy with them.

I put a rear rack on my Rover, so when I'm getting ready to flip the bike over: I remove the seat/post, place a cut and slit pool noodle on the rear of the rack and secure it with a bungie, squeeze the rear brake and start walking backwards. Even this +70lb bike is easy to manage this way.

That sounds very cool. However, because of the larger wheel/fenders on my City 5 Plus, I have to use a support like a plastic bin or stool to support it using the rear rack. It is a little tricky to keep the bin/stool from sliding, but it's doable--and there is no need to remove the seat/post. See YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZPQTXAwS-Q