News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

$120 bicycle stand

Started by Eric7, May 02, 2022, 01:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

RadBod

Bike stand for adjusting my brakes.  ;D

Eric7

Quote from: RadBod on May 24, 2022, 01:06:11 PM

That is cool.  The superior bike mechanic fixes a bike without buying more junk from our consumer culture.

I was just thinking about doing this except I was planning to use my 2 premade sawhorses and two 8-foot 2x4.  That is not as good as what you have done.

RadBod

Quote from: Eric7 on May 24, 2022, 02:28:50 PM
Quote from: RadBod on May 24, 2022, 01:06:11 PM

That is cool.  The superior bike mechanic fixes a bike without buying more junk from our consumer culture.

I was just thinking about doing this except I was planning to use my 2 premade sawhorses and two 8-foot 2x4.  That is not as good as what you have done.

I have to applaud the Rad design that allows for perfect weight distribution with the bike balancing on the tiny flat bar under the seat.

Eric7

Quote from: RadBod on May 25, 2022, 07:55:44 AM
I have to applaud the Rad design that allows for perfect weight distribution with the bike balancing on the tiny flat bar under the seat.

You got me inspired.  I have a Rad Mini ST2.  I can wedge my front wheel against two shelves in the garage, or on my fence.  Then I can lift up the rear of the bike with a paint can, resting the loop under the frame on the paint can.  The pedals are so far apart I can pedal the bike, with the rear wheel off the ground and the frame totally supported by the paint can.  With this arrangement, I can totally adjust the back wheel, test the motor and everything.

And if I want to work on the front, I wedge the rear wheel between the shelves, lift up the front with the paint can at the same place.  That's because the loop under the bike is pretty close to the center of gravity.

Everything can be done with something supporting the loop.  Like a paint can or a cinder block, or some old books to make a center stand.  That's it.

A bike stand is not really needed.  For some big jobs, like working on the bottom bracket, a bike stand would be preferable but not necessary.

Another way is for me to put a strap connecting the handlebar stem and the saddle post and then hang the bike up with a rope attached to the strap somewhere between the saddle post and handlebar.

There are plenty of good options if I give it some thought. I don't have to buy anything if I don't want to. Of course, I already have the bike stand but I don't really need it.

RadBod

Quote from: Eric7 on May 25, 2022, 03:21:10 PM
Quote from: RadBod on May 25, 2022, 07:55:44 AM

You got me inspired.  I have a Rad Mini ST2.  I can wedge my front wheel against two shelves in the garage, or on my fence.  Then I can lift up the rear of the bike with a paint can, resting the loop under the frame on the paint can.  The pedals are so far apart I can pedal the bike, with the rear wheel off the ground and the frame totally supported by the paint can.  With this arrangement, I can totally adjust the back wheel, test the motor and everything.

And if I want to work on the front, I wedge the rear wheel between the shelves, lift up the front with the paint can at the same place.  That's because the loop under the bike is pretty close to the center of gravity.

Everything can be done with something supporting the loop.  Like a paint can or a cinder block, or some old books to make a center stand.  That's it.

A bike stand is not really needed.  For some big jobs, like working on the bottom bracket, a bike stand would be preferable but not necessary.

Another way is for me to put a strap connecting the handlebar stem and the saddle post and then hang the bike up with a rope attached to the strap somewhere between the saddle post and handlebar.

There are plenty of good options if I give it some thought. I don't have to buy anything if I don't want to. Of course, I already have the bike stand but I don't really need it.

All those hours watching The A-Team weren?t a waste of my time after all.  ;D