Author Topic: better grips for Radrunner  (Read 4269 times)

Radio Runner

• View Profile
Re: better grips for Radrunner
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2022, 10:46:52 PM »
Handlebar,

I searched long and hard for that max psi rating as well. I knew it had to be there somewhere. I wish it said 65psi at least but no.. I like my tires up around 90-100 for commuting. I cant do that on the Big Boats so I break the rules and juice them up to 40psi. Haven't lost the bead yet. ;)

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2022, 03:29:03 PM »
I took the washcloth off to measure the OEM grip. The thumb part is hard. On the right, the throttle ring is also hard, but it has a bigger diameter. On yours, is the thumb part cushioned?

No, those grips I use and linked to are hard rubber.  Not hard like plastic, but very firm rubber and quite grippy, which I like.  I don't press my thumbs against the grips, they just sort of hang underneath until called upon for a PAS shift, mid-loud bell on the left and the shifter or throttle thumb activator I added on the right.

The Fat Paws arrived. One photo shows the OEM left grip. The top is soft but thin. The bottom is hard rubber. Another photo shows my hand with the damaged joint marked. In riding, it could rest on the edge of the hard rubber when I reached for a control button with my thumb or when I applied the brake. Then a bump could cause the hard rubber to recoil against the joint.

Another photo shows a cross section of the Fat Paw. The hole is about 14mm, so it has to stretch around a 22mm bar. Easy with alcohol! There are no edges to hammer vulnerable parts of the hand. The outer layer may be a millimeter thick. It feels as soft as the top of the OEM grip. The rest of the foam is much stiffer. It feels solid until you press hard. It can absorb shock without feeling spongy. The last photo shows that it really isn't very fat.

I'm getting back into the habit of using the front brake.

2sailors

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2022, 02:43:04 AM »
The grips on my motorcycle felt like they were too smaill, so I got these "over" grips from amazon, I think it might work on the rads.

https://amzn.to/3aRIbkW

I have ordered (but not yet received)my bike, and am so excited!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 06:30:23 AM by Ryan »

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2022, 05:56:15 AM »
The grips on my motorcycle felt like they were too smaill, so I got these "over" grips from amazon, I think it might work on the rads.

https://amzn.to/3aRIbkW

I have ordered (but not yet received)my bike, and am so excited!!

I measured my Fat Paws. 1.5". The company has a fatter version. I think I might prefer it.

The biggest improvement was not the grips but a 3" riser for the handlebars, which I heard about here. The Radrunner saddle could be raised 11.5" inches, but the handlebars couldn't be raised at all. What were they thinking? With my saddle up for pedaling, the angle from my shoulders down to the hand grips was steep. A steeper angle means more weight on the hands if leaning or inertia or pressing less on the pedals brings the rider's weight slightly forward. It took more than a year, but it seems as if I hit a bump at a moment when the base of my thumb was pressed hard against the edge of the hard rubber part of the grip. From the number of weeks it's taking to heal, I think it's a hairline fracture. Oh well, I'm better now than I was a month ago.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 06:30:36 AM by Ryan »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2022, 05:56:15 AM »