News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

pedal assist issue

Started by DebsTech, May 06, 2020, 08:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

DebsTech

Our new RadCity st3 is fun to ride.  The gears, brakes, throttle, lights all work well.  However, there is no assist in our pedal assist.  Has anyone required service for this issue?  Is it possible that we're doing or not doing something that is causing the problem.  As we select our way from 0-5 we experience no assist whatsoever.  We checked with two other RadBike owners in WA and they assured us that we should be experiencing some assist...we're experiencing none.

HELP

We've reached out to Rad via email, no response.  We have been sitting on hold on your cell phones for 20-30 minutes stretches, but we never connect with anyone.  Covid related problems?  We understand; but it would be great to hear from someone/anyone that has had a non-functioning pedal assist and was able to correct the problem:  replaced sensor, reconnected cables, changed fuse (if applicable).  We're in the dark.  We would love to ride this 65 pound bike with rolling resistance from the sure grip Kendas, but as you might imagine, it would  be more fun with a little pedal assist.  The throttle works, but it's one or the other...we want it ALL!

HELP

Thanks,

Debs Tech (aka Will)  chateaugaudreau@gmail.com

Ryan

Check the pedal assist sensor and ensure it is not broken or removed. This is a disc with magnets on it to the left of your big chainring. Also unplug and plug back in all connections around the bike. I'll continue to add to this if I have any other thoughts. Good luck and let us know if you figure it out.

Ryan

Here are two pictures that might help though keep in mind this is on the RadWagon. The first one is the pedal assist sensor with the magnets. And then there is the reader which triggers pedal assist as the pedal assist magnets move past it. Trace that wire and unplug and plug it back in.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

fin_rad

Who will be more helpful than Ryan on this forum... :)

rdrutan

Have rad rover and had same issue.  Just rode with throttle and no pedal assist for months. Recently contacted Rad through their email and got fast results. A tech spoke with my husband ,diagnosed the problem of missing magnets. Still under warranty so they shipped the part. Now through utube video we see we need a crank puller tool to do this job ourselves.  Will need to order this tool online. Plenty of videos to show you how to do this job. We aren't near a bike shop.

fin_rad

@rdrutan Missing magnets?? That must be a very bad luck part from the factory's production line... What year model your Rad Rover is? I think I should keep on eye mine as well.. Easy to get hits on that part if you like going offroad.

Reinhard Bimashofer

Two bikes, two broken discs with magnets on it to the left of the big chainring. Poorest quality of chosen material. No accident, plastic broke because of ageing.
The company tells us: No aspect for quality control!!!