News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

My 35A controller-upgrade settings (Bolton / Area 13 or Electro Bike World)

Started by JimInPT, April 27, 2022, 10:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

JimInPT

Quote from: sweets on April 08, 2023, 10:59:49 AM
Just installed the new display and 35A controller on my Rad Min 4.  I noticed in the settings one ADDITIONAL setting, C15, which is factory set at 6 (it can be set to either 4, 5 or 6).  I got my controller from Electro Bike World but so far no word from them on this setting.  Anybody have an idea as to what this MYSTERY setting does?  It is not mentioned in any blog posts, videos or the mfg manual on the controller so I don't have a clue.

I think you've stumbled upon a newly-added setting; none of my reference materials go beyond C14 and so far have found nothing on the web.  If you hear back from EBW about it, please let us know.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

handlebar

Quote from: JimInPT on May 26, 2022, 10:18:06 AM

So I just changed P5 (power monitoring) from 11 to 15, in line with EBW and Bolton recommendations, but higher than Sideburn, Ben and Ray here on the forum - I think, but not sure, that this setting adjusts how many bars are displayed for a given battery voltage, but that might be simplistic.

I'll try out this new setting to see what happens; the goal is a smoother display drawdown more like the gradual decline on the stock setup.

I welcome any feedback on this, and it occurs to me that a little group project to research and define all the setting parameters in detail and clear English, in a reference pamphlet for download, would be of benefit to many folks on the forum who are interested in this upgrade.

I installed a Bolton 35 A controller before you, and I set it according to Bolton's recommendations. With the OEM controller, I'd enjoyed using level 0 to pedal silently while having throttle available to get underway and for intermittent boosts on grades. With the Bolton unit, throttle was not available at level 0. If I wanted throttle available, I'd have to listen to PAS make the gears whine.

Lately, I bought a 25 A controller and the same display for my Radmission. Rereading the manual, I set C4 to 3, not 0. Now I have throttle available whether or not I'm using PAS. I like that.

You discovered before I did that switching C14 to 1 will reduce PAS to under 100 watts, for a quieter ride, more exercise, and more range. If I want more PAS, I can shift to a higher level.

I don't know how bars are computed, but I think volts is the best indicator of battery charge. I think P5 isn't about computing battery charge but watts. I wish the figure were displayed in larger digits because it's important. It's a good indicator of what range you can expect. On a long hill, a high reading could warn you before your motor overheats. It's also better for the battery not to demand high wattage when the charge is low (say, below 45 volts).

I don't know why some set P5 at 11. According to the manual, that's for 36-volt batteries; settings 12-40 are for 48-volt batteries. When I stop using power, it takes several seconds for the reading to dwindle to 0, so the algorithm must be complicated. I must experiment!

HKRAD5

Quote from: sweets on April 08, 2023, 10:59:49 AM
Just installed the new display and 35A controller on my Rad Min 4.  I noticed in the settings one ADDITIONAL setting, C15, which is factory set at 6 (it can be set to either 4, 5 or 6).  I got my controller from Electro Bike World but so far no word from them on this setting.  Anybody have an idea as to what this MYSTERY setting does?  It is not mentioned in any blog posts, videos or the mfg manual on the controller so I don't have a clue.

C15 is the manual Push assist speed setting in km/h. Just found this myself while setting up the controller on Rad5. Bolton/Area13 did not know what it was while chatting with them today. Found it in manuals on the OEM website digging thru manuals.

SemperVee

Love a story with a happy ending... Waiting to hit the streets as spring shows it self and do improvements also to my 21 Mini!  Thanks Jim.