News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Charging Battery in Garage?

Started by franklewtie, May 01, 2020, 02:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

franklewtie

I just ordered the Runner and it will be here next week. I'm already reading the owners manual to prepare. The manual states: "Always charge your battery in temperatures between 50 °F – 77 °F"

I know cold temperatures kill batteries but how important is it to stay under 77 degrees? I ask because I was planning on charging the battery in the garage. I live in South Florida and my garage temps can easily get to 85 or 90 degrees.

Ryan

I would definitely charge it inside since you're potentially reducing the life of the battery for your ebike. Lithium ion batteries don't like extreme temperatures. Not only do you not want to chance it with an expensive battery but it also could impact your warranty. It's also good to keep an eye on the battery when you're charging it so you can unplug it once it's charged. Be sure to follow what the manual states with regards to the first few charges.

franklewtie

fin_rad

Also the charger could (and in my case with RadRhino it will) get really hot while charging.

Bob Mc

Quote from: franklewtie on May 01, 2020, 02:09:13 PM
I just ordered the Runner and it will be here next week. I'm already reading the owners manual to prepare. The manual states: "Always charge your battery in temperatures between 50 °F – 77 °F"

I know cold temperatures kill batteries but how important is it to stay under 77 degrees? I ask because I was planning on charging the battery in the garage. I live in South Florida and my garage temps can easily get to 85 or 90 degrees.

Howdy, The manual also says to be careful charging, my garage gets hot also, Calif central valley, so I charge mine in the gas grill outside, in the shade and open for a breeze. I don't need to worry about the garage, attached to the house, attached to me, burning.