News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Walking Mode Report

Started by Eric7, April 22, 2022, 05:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Eric7

Mini Step Thru.

I lifted the rear wheel off the ground by holding the handlebar and with the kickstand down, tilting the bike to the left.  With a full battery, I engaged walking mode by pushing the down button 3 seconds.

Regardless of PAS setting, the speed on walking mode was 4.9 mph shown on the display.  Wattage was not shown.

Regardless of PAS setting, if I try to slow the rear wheel with my shoes, the bike will try to get back to spinning the rear wheel to 4.9 mph.

On PAS 1, in walking mode, I can stop the rear wheel with my foot.

With increasing PAS, it gets harder and harder to stop the rear wheel with my foot and the rear wheel tries to maintain speed with more and more power.  That is, the rear wheel has more power to maintain 4.9 mph with increasing PAS.

At PAS 5, I cannot stop the rear wheel with my foot.  Note I was tilting the bike, standing on my left foot, and rubbing against the rear wheel with my right foot.  While I feel I was putting a lot of pressure down, I could have done more if I had more leverage.

Wore a few millimeters off my sandals.  Meaning, at PAS5, there was substantial power to the rear wheel.  I suspect it was the full 750 watts - but I don't know.

I did not see the watt output.  There was none on the display.

You can easily replicate my experiment.  It would be interesting to see if other bikes have different settings.

santacruzpaul

santacruzpaul

Quote from: santacruzpaul on April 22, 2022, 06:17:07 PM
This link may help.
https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=1006.0

Sorry to be redundant Eric7, I see you already chimed on the link I posted,  I am interested on your latest findings,
Thanks, Paul

NaturallyRC

Thanks for the research. Totally makes sense that the speed would be fixed, with power selectable for hilly conditions.

Eric7

Quote from: santacruzpaul on April 22, 2022, 06:25:10 PM
Quote from: santacruzpaul on April 22, 2022, 06:17:07 PM
This link may help.
https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=1006.0

Sorry to be redundant Eric7, I see you already chimed on the link I posted,  I am interested on your latest findings,
Thanks, Paul

Thank you Paul.  I am always interested in reading your posts which are full of info.

Eric7

Quote from: NaturallyBikes on April 23, 2022, 04:28:50 AM
Thanks for the research. Totally makes sense that the speed would be fixed, with power selectable for hilly conditions.

Thank you.  I am glad you find it useful.  I'll do some more testing on the road and report back.

I wish the speed was slower because 4.9 miles per hour is a whole lot faster than I want to walk with a bike and with a pedal trying to dig into my shin for every misstep. I have not found a way to use walking mode where I can "hang on" and reduce my efforts in walking.