News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

New model

Started by Ddaybc, April 19, 2022, 07:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Ddaybc

Nice to see the RadExpand added to the forum.

corypowered

Getting mine in the mail today excited to get out on it tomorrow after it gets built. curious how far we can go on level 2.

NaturallyRC

I think you will find that confining the motor to a single level (2 for example) is unsustainable. You'll want to drop down to level one when meandering down the boardwalk, and crank it up to level five when hurrying home for dinner against a strong headwind, with blown up quads. Riding styles vary, but coming from a strong cycling background, I go up and down the whole time, conserving watts. I use the shifter a lot, to get some cardio, without bonking. To be on the safe side, plan your rides so you're close to home when you have just two bars/dots left. One bar/dot is kind of for emergencies, and you may not get three digits of watts when you ask for them. I learned this the hard way. I recommend rides of around 40km to start, and increase it from there if you consistently have unused juice when you get home. The other day I did 60, on a windy day, and had two bars remaining when I got home. Have fun!

Quote from: corypowered on April 21, 2022, 12:56:52 PM
Getting mine in the mail today excited to get out on it tomorrow after it gets built. curious how far we can go on level 2.

corypowered

Yeah, I built mine with the video they have and then just paid for $99 dollar tune-up to save money.

I went about 38 miles yesterday and still had 1 out the 5 bars of battery left.  the last 8 miles was all throttle so I'm pretty pleased with it.

rsghowellnj

I'm extremely happy with my new RADExpand 5.  I did upgrade the mechanical disk caliper to hydraulic calipers.  Like so many of you, I have upgraded the seat and seat post which has softened the ride.  I don't do allot of off road and the 4" tires seem to help allot with the absence of a front shock. 

corypowered

Do you have the seat that has a shock or just more cushion?

chopday

This is awesome to have a separate forum for RadExpand..

I have been extremely happy so far - this is my first eBike and I haven't done much cycling in the last 10 years..have enjoyed getting back to it a lot.
I do 8-10 mile rides and so far the battery life has been excellent.

Will soon try to tune up my bike either myself or a local bike shop if I am able to find one with a quick turn around time.

radex5owner

So, I've had the Rad Expand 5 for a little over a week and rode it a few times,  1) just know it is heavy (62lb), 2) great design and seems well built, 3) get the torque wrenches that are suggested (Pro Bike are really good), really does help with assembly. 3) love the handlebars since I am short (5'1") and can be angled to fit my reach. 4) I can seat on the seat at a stop with my feet down on the ground and feel more secure. ok now the less than positive concerns....1) I personally don't like the shifter that are button operated to change gears, and it is hurting my R thumb (not cool!), so I am wondering if a grip shifter can be substituted like what I did on my non-electric version. 2) I guess because it's a new model, none of the accessories fit it.  So you can only  load it up except with bungie cords, the rear rack is great but no bags fit it.  3) it's a tricky bike to lock up because of it size.  I have a ADUS lock which works but no place to put it on the bike...I'd loved for them to come up with the mounted version of the lever lock for this bike, but because the tires are wide, the standard ADUS mount locks don't work.

JimInPT

Quote from: radex5owner on May 09, 2022, 03:12:02 PM1) I personally don't like the shifter that are button operated to change gears, and it is hurting my R thumb (not cool!), so I am wondering if a grip shifter can be substituted like what I did on my non-electric version. 2) I guess because it's a new model, none of the accessories fit it.  So you can only  load it up except with bungie cords, the rear rack is great but no bags fit it.  3) it's a tricky bike to lock up because of it size.  I have a ADUS lock which works but no place to put it on the bike...I'd loved for them to come up with the mounted version of the lever lock for this bike, but because the tires are wide, the standard ADUS mount locks don't work.

I can't help with your shifter question, but you might want to contact Rad to see if accessories for the Minis will fit the Expand - it sure looks like they will from photos, as the Expand frame looks very similar, especially in the back end.  If they say yes, then do a bit of poking around at the Mini-compatible accessories and mods on Rad's website and this forum - many problems have had creative solutions.

I assume you meant ABUS lock?  If so, what model (specifically) do you have; might be able to offer pointers?  I have both a Granit 6500 folder and a Granit 540 u-lock, along with their Cobra cable, strapped to my Mini.  (The folder is for quick, everyday lockups and the huge u-lock and/or cable for special cirumstances like locking to a tree.)  Took a while to figure out how to mount the latter two to my Mini, but they fit on the rack's basket and the folder is on the bottle-cage mount on the downtube.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.