News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Can a 250 watt EU Radrunner be upgraded into a 750 Watt US version?

Started by Mtolesen, April 26, 2020, 07:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Mtolesen

Hi,
Any one knows if a 250 watt EU version Radrunner can be software modifyed into a 750 US version Radrunner with full trottle control.
In other words, id the EU version just a software downgraded US version, or are they also different dur to different hardware.....motor, controller, ect?

Rjbur007

Can you find any markings on the motor that tell you who makes it and the model?  If they put the same motor on as the US model, then you are right, all you need is a new controller and display.  You can't reprogram the Rad controllers.   If you need a new motor, well then that's a bit more expensive. 

I believe Bolton Ebikes May have a solution.  Here they just did the Controller and Display upgrade.

https://youtu.be/a3HIuGTaFGM

You could probably email them about your question as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan

Quote from: Mtolesen on April 26, 2020, 07:36:05 AM
Hi,
Any one knows if a 250 watt EU version Radrunner can be software modifyed into a 750 US version Radrunner with full trottle control.
In other words, id the EU version just a software downgraded US version, or are they also different dur to different hardware.....motor, controller, ect?

I have seen it possible to modify the RadRhino through the LCD via some settings (video below). However, I'm guessing you don't have a screen. I guess I'd either email Bolton ebikes and see if they have tested their display/controller on the EU RadRunner because then you will have even more power. An alternative is to try buying the screen and use the video below, though I'm not certain this would work.

Be sure to read the comments in the YouTube video as the process has changed depending on the year. I've also included them below.

1. Long press UP+DOWN buttons to enter the setup menu (Set.1)
2. Long press UP+DOWN buttons again, to see maximum speed: probably 25 km/h  (Set.4). The speed will not blink.
3. Long press UP button until you see Set.5 in the top right
4. Long press DOWN button until you see Set.6 in the top right. The max speed setting will blink now.
5. Adjust max speed with the UP / DOWN buttons to the required setting, which varies between 12 and 40 km/h
6. Long press MODE button to exit the setup menu

https://youtu.be/r6s5kXTdJpY

Carsten

Quote from: Ryan on April 26, 2020, 07:53:32 PM
Hi,

I have seen it possible to modify the RadRhino through the LCD via some settings (video below). However, I'm guessing you don't have a screen. I guess I'd either email Bolton ebikes and see if they have tested their display/controller on the EU RadRunner because then you will have even more power. An alternative is to try buying the screen and use the video below, though I'm not certain this would work.

Be sure to read the comments in the YouTube video as the process has changed depending on the year. I've also included them below.

2. Long press UP+DOWN buttons again, to see maximum speed: probably 25 km/h  (Set.4). The speed will not blink.
4. Long press DOWN button until you see Set.6 in the top right. The max speed setting will blink now.
5. Adjust max speed with the UP / DOWN buttons to the required setting, which varies between 12 and 40 km/h

Yes, this does increase the maximum speed. Works the same way on my 750 W RadWagon. But it doesn't increase the motor power. You cannot get 750 W power from a 250 W motor just by changing the software speed limit, sorry. (BTW: 750 W is a marketing issue. The vehicle badge says 500 W, which is supposed to be the engine's continuous maximum power; 750 W is considered some kind of short time peak power output. Sure looks better in the brochure.  ;) )

Ryan

Quote from: Carsten on April 27, 2020, 03:08:10 AM
Quote from: Ryan on April 26, 2020, 07:53:32 PM
Hi,

Yes, this does increase the maximum speed. Works the same way on my 750 W RadWagon. But it doesn't increase the motor power. You cannot get 750 W power from a 250 W motor just by changing the software speed limit, sorry. (BTW: 750 W is a marketing issue. The vehicle badge says 500 W, which is supposed to be the engine's continuous maximum power; 750 W is considered some kind of short time peak power output. Sure looks better in the brochure.  ;) )

I guess I assumed that they put the same motors in them but then just limited the output. Is that not the case?

fin_rad

I have read the same about Bafang motors. Inside the motor components are same, outside the output power stamp just differs (250, 500, 750, even 1000 W) and controller + battery then says how much power you can actually get out of it.