News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Crash: down for the count - updated

Started by Altema, April 15, 2022, 08:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Altema

Had a bad crash a couple days ago. Someone at work tampered with the bike (possibly) and opened the front wheel quick release, and the wheel came off while I was going 18mph on pavement. I'm hoping it was a prank, but know it was intentional because I checked the wheel the day before. The axle is damaged, brake rotor is bent, the fork is bent, and some of the spokes are bent. The bike flipped and slammed me to the pavement, and the emergency room doctors credited the helmet for saving my life. As it is I have a concussion, dislocated shoulder, torn and stretched ligaments, and gnarly bruises... but no broken bones!

Anyways, just posting this to remind others that safety gear can make a difference. Don't worry about the quick release axle on your Rad bikes: They're safe, just check them once in a while. Especially after suspicious activity!

PS: After research, it turns out that it is possible for a quick release to fail, either by the lever breaking or the skewer snapping.

Ddaybc

That's very bad news Altema. I'm happy to hear you are going to be OK though. I also hope you can find out who did it and can take some form of action against them.

ericwn

Wishing you a speedy recovery! Glad you didn't suffer from worse injuries!

Eric7

I hope you recover soon.  Best of luck to you.  I am sorry for your pain.

NaturallyRC

Yeah. So sad, on many levels.

Quote from: Eric7 on April 15, 2022, 01:56:24 PM
I hope you recover soon.  Best of luck to you.  I am sorry for your pain.

santacruzpaul

Hoping for a speedy recovery! Take Care Altema,
Paul

Altema

Thanks for the get well wishes everyone. I can move my arm a little more, but the swelling is more than I expected. I started getting my replacement parts for the bike today, and was going to put the new front rotors on, until I found out the rim is also damaged  :-[
Oh well, would have been tough with one hand anyways, lol. I contacted Rad and ordered a wheel without the tire and tube, and also the skewer. I plan on changing to an axle with bolts, but wanted the quick release on hand for possible future use. I also splurged a bit and ordered:
Floating disk brake rotors with red hubs.
Solid axle.
Yema replacement helmet of same model that has saved my noggin twice now.
New full face helmet with breath box, visor, and 12 volt heated face shield.
8-85 volt to 5 volt USB converter to give me dual USB ports on the handlebars.
New battery % gauge which is easy to read in sunlight.

I did install hybrid hydraulic calipers a few days ago, but was disappointed in performance.  Area 13 (formerly Bolton E-bikes) offered me a refund , or an exchange for the full hydraulic brakes, so I'm going for the full hydraulic brakes. The heated helmet requires 12 volts, but I recently installed my 12 volt converter, so I only need to mount the 12 volt RCA jack to plug the helmet into. I won't need it soon, but it will be nice on chilly mornings! The helmet looks cool, but you can't see most of my face anymore (which is probably a good thing, lol).

Muskie1

I hope you a speedy recovery.  There are people out in the.world that frown upon ebikes.
I bought my Rad Mini to be my primary mode of transportation,  a medical problem arose and I made the decision that I no longer would drive my car until it is figured out.
Your horrible incident has made me decide to zip tie my quick releas secure, two different colored ties, one with a slight mark on it with a Sharpie, not fool proof but takes some work to vandalize.

I live just out side of Detroit,  no bike lanes to get around makes for interesting rides.

Altema

Quote from: Muskie1 on April 16, 2022, 06:16:33 AM
I hope you a speedy recovery.  There are people out in the.world that frown upon ebikes.
I bought my Rad Mini to be my primary mode of transportation,  a medical problem arose and I made the decision that I no longer would drive my car until it is figured out.
Your horrible incident has made me decide to zip tie my quick releas secure, two different colored ties, one with a slight mark on it with a Sharpie, not fool proof but takes some work to vandalize.

I live just out side of Detroit,  no bike lanes to get around makes for interesting rides.
Thank you for the recovery wishes Muskie1. I also live outside of Detroit, and am fortunate that most of the ride is on the I-275 metro trail. However, the last leg of the trip is on an industrial road with no provision for bikes, so I'm riding with the cars on that section. The noise I heard was the axle turning in the fork, unscrewing the skewer in the process. Fortunately, because Rad's safety measures, the wheel stayed on during the high speed portion, and did not fully come off for 2.5 miles. As violent as it was, I'd rather crash on a secluded bike path at 18mph, instead of right in front of a car going 30mph.

Say, do you ever go on the Detroit group rides?

Rover

Hope you're back to 100% soon. If it was a 'prank' whoever did it is a sad sack. If you know who it was they should be dealt with. Seriously. This goes well beyond a prank. The person who did it is not well.

Muskie1

Quote from: Altema on April 16, 2022, 07:18:23 AM

Thank you for the recovery wishes Muskie1. I also live outside of Detroit, and am fortunate that most of the ride is on the I-275 metro trail. However, the last leg of the trip is on an industrial road with no provision for bikes, so I'm riding with the cars on that section. The noise I heard was the axle turning in the fork, unscrewing the skewer in the process. Fortunately, because Rad's safety measures, the wheel stayed on during the high speed portion, and did not fully come off for 2.5 miles. As violent as it was, I'd rather crash on a secluded bike path at 18mph, instead of right in front of a car going 30mph.

I would like to one day.  One way trip by bike is 14 miles, a little pushing it for now until I can get a spare battery.

I previously lived with Hines right out my back gate. Back then a normal non ebike ride for me was 30 plus miles daily. I have taken the Rouge Gateway trail from nearby to connect to Hines, construction has eliminated that option so I do Outer Drive, pretty safe route.
  After not driving for 6 months I sold my car, no sense to make payments  and insurance.  My farthest ride on the Mini in pas 2 was 48 miles around Hines, low battery came on 1/2 mile from home.
  Once Summer comes I think I have  a friend who would give me a lift to that ride, I miss my Belle Isle rides also.

Altema

Quote from: Rover on April 16, 2022, 11:19:24 PM
Hope you're back to 100% soon. If it was a 'prank' whoever did it is a sad sack. If you know who it was they should be dealt with. Seriously. This goes well beyond a prank. The person who did it is not well.
They'll get theirs eventually. I have not been back to work yet, so I don't know if they did anything with the guy, or are letting it go until there is proof. I have to find out if there are any cameras in the area, but probably not. I did go looking for the front wheel skewer yesterday, as the lever would likely have a fingerprint. Couldn't find it though.

Altema

Quote from: Muskie1 on April 17, 2022, 07:20:34 AM
Quote from: Altema on April 16, 2022, 07:18:23 AM

I would like to one day.  One way trip by bike is 14 miles, a little pushing it for now until I can get a spare battery.

I previously lived with Hines right out my back gate. Back then a normal non ebike ride for me was 30 plus miles daily. I have taken the Rouge Gateway trail from nearby to connect to Hines, construction has eliminated that option so I do Outer Drive, pretty safe route.
  After not driving for 6 months I sold my car, no sense to make payments  and insurance.  My farthest ride on the Mini in pas 2 was 48 miles around Hines, low battery came on 1/2 mile from home.
  Once Summer comes I think I have  a friend who would give me a lift to that ride, I miss my Belle Isle rides also.
Good call on the car. Why pay all that if you are not using it. We rode a half-lap on Belle Isle last summer, and it brought back lots of memories. I used to ride in the Wolverine 200 marathon there, and one time my dad bought me a funky neon green 10 speed with air brakes. Not the best bike for a marathon, but I didn't want to offend him so I rode it anyways.