News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Is pedaling with PAS 1 like riding a really good road bike?

Started by Eric7, April 15, 2022, 02:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Eric7

I have been thinking, PAS1 provides about 65 watt of power.  Would adding that level of power onto a rad make the rad similar in performance to a really good non-electric road bicycle?  Would 65 watt make up for all the weight, higher wind profile, more upright riding position, non-racing tires, etc.

Assuming the rider in both cases is the same person.

If not, how about PAS 2 ?

ericwn

Well, depends on the rider's preferences and what bike they'd ride if they no Rad. On my Radwagon I want to be at least in mode 2 to get anywhere. And I wouldn't even attempt to ride a non electric cargo bike with kids on the back.

NaturallyRC

What a great question. As someone who owns both, I would say that's a fair equivalency. Depends on the weight of the e-bike, width of the tires, etc, but more or less, it fits.

Quote from: Eric7 on April 15, 2022, 02:21:08 AM
I have been thinking, PAS1 provides about 65 watt of power.  Would adding that level of power onto a rad make the rad similar in performance to a really good non-electric road bicycle?  Would 65 watt make up for all the weight, higher wind profile, more upright riding position, non-racing tires, etc.

Assuming the rider in both cases is the same person.

If not, how about PAS 2 ?

Altema

At low speed, the PAS 1 cancels out the extra weight and rolling resistance. When comparing a Rad Mini on PAS 1 to my Fuji Sagres 12 speed, they are similar at low speed, like when riding with children at 5 to 8mph. Above that speed the road bike is easier to pedal, and the difference increases with speed.

Ddaybc

I have a RW4 and my partner has a Giant brand mountain bike. When we ride together I use PAS 1 and, of course, her bike is "normal". We ride at her comfort speed and it's usually 10 to 15 Kms. My wagon has no problem keeping up, even with the weight of my bike, the accessories I have and some cargo. However Altema is correct that going much faster would handicap me too much as my bike weighs almost 100 lbs. I'm not sure what PAS 2 would do as we haven't rode together while it's been on.

FWIW, when my bike was new last year my PAS 1 output was 90 watts or so. It's now about 65 to 70 watts, more or less the same as Eric7 posted. Off hand I don't recall what PAS 2 puts out but I think it's 150 watts, maybe more so it definitely works very well. I rode casually for 30 kms yesterday on PAS 2. I wasn't in a hurry and didn't push it and my overall speed was 20 to 25 kms.

Altema

Quote from: Ddaybc on April 15, 2022, 08:12:03 AM
I have a RW4 and my partner has a Giant brand mountain bike. When we ride together I use PAS 1 and, of course, her bike is "normal". We ride at her comfort speed and it's usually 10 to 15 Kms. My wagon has no problem keeping up, even with the weight of my bike, the accessories I have and some cargo. However Altema is correct that going much faster would handicap me too much as my bike weighs almost 100 lbs. I'm not sure what PAS 2 would do as we haven't rode together while it's been on.

FWIW, when my bike was new last year my PAS 1 output was 90 watts or so. It's now about 65 to 70 watts, more or less the same as Eric7 posted. Off hand I don't recall what PAS 2 puts out but I think it's 150 watts, maybe more so it definitely works very well. I rode casually for 30 kms yesterday on PAS 2. I wasn't in a hurry and didn't push it and my overall speed was 20 to 25 kms.
My tire pressures are on the soft side (16PSI), and I have Tannus Armour liners, so that adds a bit of resistance to my experience. I came across a post from Mike Radenbaugh himself that lists the approximate PAS levels, but the power may be dynamic based on pedal RPM (like on the Phaserunner). Also, the post is from 2017 so it's a few years old. I know on my 2020 RadMini, I used to get about 365 on PAS 3, so it was slightly different from the list.

PAS 1: 50W
PAS 2: 150W
PAS 3: 350W
PAS 4: 500W
PAS 5: 750W

Ddaybc

Quote from: Altema on April 15, 2022, 08:39:50 PM
My tire pressures are on the soft side (16PSI), and I have Tannus Armour liners, so that adds a bit of resistance to my experience. I came across a post from Mike Radenbaugh himself that lists the approximate PAS levels, but the power may be dynamic based on pedal RPM (like on the Phaserunner). Also, the post is from 2017 so it's a few years old. I know on my 2020 RadMini, I used to get about 365 on PAS 3, so it was slightly different from the list.

That a good call on the Tannus Armour liners. I have my tires at 40 PSI and always run them around 30 to 40. I would like to run lower pressure so I have a smoother ride.
I'm in Canada so my motor limit is 500 watts and that's what I get on PAS 5. It hovers around 498 to an actual 500 but I don't know what it puts out on each level. I'll do some checking when I ride alone next and post it here for posterity.

Altema

Quote from: Ddaybc on April 16, 2022, 06:59:53 AM

That a good call on the Tannus Armour liners. I have my tires at 40 PSI and always run them around 30 to 40. I would like to run lower pressure so I have a smoother ride.
I'm in Canada so my motor limit is 500 watts and that's what I get on PAS 5. It hovers around 498 to an actual 500 but I don't know what it puts out on each level. I'll do some checking when I ride alone next and post it here for posterity.
That would be fun information to know, although it might be tedious to stop and write down each PAS wattage. I'm also curious if the wattage stays the same if you are pedaling fast or slow. If I was doing a range test challenge, I'd take my Tannus liners out and put the pressure up to the limit. But, the liners do make for a smoother, more "planted" ride, so I don't mind them. Oh, and they're supposed to prevent flats too!  ;D

Ddaybc

Quote from: Altema on April 16, 2022, 07:24:34 AM

That would be fun information to know, although it might be tedious to stop and write down each PAS wattage. I'm also curious if the wattage stays the same if you are pedaling fast or slow.

Today I checked the PAS wattage readings as displayed on my Rad display from PAS 1 to PAS 5. I tested with a full battery and for a slow easy pedal rate and then the rate when I was putting my maximum pressure on the pedals and spinning the pedals as fast as I could. Unfortunately the wattage remained the same for a low effort as well as for a maximum effort. Oh well. It was still a lot of fun to try.
This is on my Canadian 500 watt RW4
PAS 1 - 72 watts, PAS 2 - 178 watts, PAS 3 - 300 watts, PAS 4 - 400 watts, PAS 5 - 498 watts
Inquiring minds wanted to know  8)

Naturally I don't know what other Rad bikes will do as I don't currently live near anyone who has a different model.

Eric7

Rad Mini ST. 3 inch CST big boat tires inflated to 30 pounds per square inch.  We get about the same numbers. My measurements something like this:

PAS 1: 65-70 W.
PAS 2: 140 W.
PAS 3: 355-365 W.
PAS 4: 500-510 W.
PAS 7: 750 W. The display never goes above 750.

After much testing, I agree with you all.  PAS 1 below 8 to 10 mph is like a good bike.  Between 10-18 mph PAS 2 is more like a good regular bike.  The feeling is not really comparable.  Somewhere between PAS 1 and PAS 2 I would say I will break even with myself on a regular bike for a 20 mile ride.  That is, on PAS 1 I will not catch up with the regular bike version of myself.  On PAS 2 I would beat the regular bike version of myself on a 20 mile ride.

NaturallyRC

Great information.

Quote from: Eric7 on April 27, 2022, 05:50:57 PM

Rad Mini ST. 3 inch CST big boat tires inflated to 30 pounds per square inch.  We get about the same numbers. My measurements something like this:

PAS 1: 65-70 W.
PAS 2: 140 W.
PAS 3: 355-365 W.
PAS 4: 500-510 W.
PAS 7: 750 W. The display never goes above 750.

After much testing, I agree with you all.  PAS 1 below 8 to 10 mph is like a good bike.  Between 10-18 mph PAS 2 is more like a good regular bike.  The feeling is not really comparable.  Somewhere between PAS 1 and PAS 2 I would say I will break even with myself on a regular bike for a 20 mile ride.  That is, on PAS 1 I will not catch up with the regular bike version of myself.  On PAS 2 I would beat the regular bike version of myself on a 20 mile ride.