News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Connector issue no power

Started by Logie, April 13, 2022, 09:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Logie

Hi after 2 rides, yesterday my new Rad City 5 was powerless.  The battery registered full but the controller was reading 1 bar, no power at all.  I re-charged the battery, thinking although it was reading 10 bars maybe that was the issue. 

I finally unplugged and re-plugged all the connectors by the handlebars and I had power.  Although they were not loose (or did not appear to be) it worked, for now.  Im considering using electrical tape or duct tape to secure these. 

Comments are most welcome.

Jeff_RI

I own a Rad Mission1, not the Rad City 5  but I've run in to the same problem. In my case it was the connector near the handlebars that has a silver grippy ring on it that came loose. Others have reported the same problem. In 500+ miles I've had to tighten it once or twice.

Eric7

I had the same issue of a bad connector in the rear light.  After disconnecting and connecting it, having it go bad, and doing it again, it worked reliably now. 

I don't know if it is related the connectors do look flimpsy.  I hope maybe I am old school and there is a good modern engineering reason for them.

Altema

The Julet connectors are modular and water resistant, but with such a small contact pin, any oxidation or contamination during assembly can interfere with the connection. Pulling them apart and reconnecting them can "clean" the contacts and solve the issues in most cases. If the problem comes up more than once, contact Rad support because you may just have a bad connector. In addition to the silver screw-on connector, some Rad bikes have another connector on those same wires near the controller. You should be able to tighten the silver connector securely. Tape on the other connectors is usually not necessary, but if you want the extra protection without resorting to electrical tape, then unplug the connector, slip on a piece of heat shrink tubing, reconnect, then shrink the tubing in place. Looks neater and won't come loose, but you'll need a razor or knife to take it off.