News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Turn signals

Started by jastewart325, April 11, 2022, 05:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

jastewart325

There was an old thread about this, but I'll start a new one. I'm interested in general opinions--are these advisable, more trouble than they are worth, etc.--and if they are a good idea, which ones? I have some opinions to share later.

jastewart325

I'm not sure how to respond to the hand signal graphic--are you saying those are all you need? Or perhaps that I'm not aware you can use hand signals? I do know the basic hand signals; they require taking one hand far off of the handlebars, and they may not be very visible in some situations.

Kari

I don't want to take my hands off from handlebar, so I bought WingLights POP's from local shop.

https://cycl.bike/products/winglights-pop

Visibility could be better in daylight and I can't use them with my new SQlab 710 grips.

Tree

Quote from: Hehateme on April 11, 2022, 07:28:37 PM

[/quote

i see things like this, and i think two things:

1. I don't want to remove my hands that far off the handlebars when I'm preparing to make a turn.
2. Most cyclists, much less people who are driving in cars, don't know those hand signals. If the person in the car doesn't know what that signal means, it is literally a useless gesture.

rabi

I use Lumos helmet when I am riding a smaller bike. When I am on my Radwagon I have this turn signal installed on the back and front of my bike:

https://amzn.to/3Litt3R

NaturallyRC

I wouldn't put blinkers on my ebike, 325, if I were you, unless you intend to ride right out in traffic like a car or motorcycle. On a bike, over in the curb, I think they would be easy to miss, and perhaps give the cyclist a feeling of overconfidence. I trust drivers about as far as I can throw them. There are definitely times when I need to let a car, truck, bus driver know what I'm about to do, and for that, I turn my head and look them straight in the eye. I wave or point if necessary to get their attention. When I'm confident that we are on the same wavelength, I smile, wave thanks or give the thumbs up, and ease over, say, into the left turn lane, or whatever.

In my opinion (you asked)

Quote from: jastewart325 on April 11, 2022, 05:39:40 PM
There was an old thread about this, but I'll start a new one. I'm interested in general opinions--are these advisable, more trouble than they are worth, etc.--and if they are a good idea, which ones? I have some opinions to share later.

JimInPT

Quote from: NaturallyRC on April 12, 2022, 01:19:44 PM
I wouldn't put blinkers on my ebike, 325, if I were you, unless you intend to ride right out in traffic like a car or motorcycle. On a bike, over in the curb, I think they would be easy to miss, and perhaps give the cyclist a feeling of overconfidence. I trust drivers about as far as I can throw them. There are definitely times when I need to let a car, truck, bus driver know what I'm about to do, and for that, I turn my head and look them straight in the eye. I wave or point if necessary to get their attention. When I'm confident that we are on the same wavelength, I smile, wave thanks or give the thumbs up, and ease over, say, into the left turn lane, or whatever.

In my opinion (you asked)

Very well put; I go for eye contact and if necessary, pointing - learned this valuable advice a hundred years ago during MSF motorcycle training.  Don't trust drivers - you will ALWAYS lose no matter who's "right".  And turn signals on what everybody regards as a bicycle might be so unusual that it might take a driver's focus off the bike and rider, increasing risk.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

NaturallyRC

Thumbs up emoji. On rare occasions, I have had to tap the hood of a car to get someone's attention when they are REALLY not being safe, but I don't recommend this in jurisdictions where drivers are allowed to carry firearms.

Quote from: JimInPT on April 12, 2022, 01:37:14 PM
Very well put; I go for eye contact and if necessary, pointing - learned this valuable advice a hundred years ago during MSF motorcycle training.  Don't trust drivers - you will ALWAYS lose no matter who's "right".  And turn signals on what everybody regards as a bicycle might be so unusual that it might take a driver's focus off the bike and rider, increasing risk.

jastewart325

Eye contact, pointing, hand signals are all good but difficult to apply in lots of situations, e.g., night riding. Why not add blinkers? Overconfidence resulting from the observation that they work? Also, I don't see a danger of a motorist losing control of their car because they are so astounded at blinkers on a bike.

I have tried a couple of options that have already been mentioned: Cycl Winglights and the Antfire or Aiguozer system (they appear to be the same product). I really wanted to like the Winglights--a simple and elegant solution--but the dealbreaker for me was no audible feedback (no beeping). For me,having to look to see if they are on is a major drawback. Also, with the backward-curving handlebars on my City 5 Plus, they may be less visible from the front. I now have the Aiguozer system with front and back signals and some other flashing modes, and overall, I like it a lot.

ElectricRides

Depends on how you ride. I added turn signals to my Runner+ but rarely have to use them since I mainly try to ride on bike/walk trails. However, when I do ride on the streets I'm glad I have them.

Video I made about my setup: https://youtu.be/tNjq6wctpLI

rabi

Sharing my setup of Antfire turn signal on my Radwagon: https://youtu.be/Yn-x984RKjE

Ddaybc

Rabi, I like your setup on your RW4. Very nice.