News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Soft rear brake on new RadCity 5+

Started by wlfarrell, April 11, 2022, 08:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

wlfarrell

Anyone else having issues with the rear hydraulic brake on their RadCity 5+?  Mine has been soft since delivery, not really contributing to any stopping power except when standing still.  Have it in a shop now, after Rad agreed to pay to service it, but I'm afraid the real issue is the brake is undersized for the bike's weight, especially with me on it.  I am 6'1" and weigh about 200 lbs.  Never had a problem with rear brakes (mechanical) on my Rad Mission, or on my road bike (Canondale.)

sputnik3

I have the same bike and my rear brakes work well. There's probably just something wrong with yours. Hopefully they get it figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wlfarrell

In shop now, waiting for new caliper from Rad.  Original caliper had small leak in piston that engages the pads.  I never saw any fluid, but repair shop found it.  Rad has a replacement, downside is it may take 2 weeks or more to get it shipped. :-\

Slowrider

Quote from: wlfarrell on April 12, 2022, 11:15:00 AM
In shop now, waiting for new caliper from Rad.  Original caliper had small leak in piston that engages the pads.  I never saw any fluid, but repair shop found it.  Rad has a replacement, downside is it may take 2 weeks or more to get it shipped. :-\
I'm glad you figured out the problem.  Mine are a little soft but it's because they need to be bled.  No definitely nothing to do with the brakes not being powerful enough.  I have the same brakes on my mountain bike and they can send me over the handlebars... Trust me I know LOL.  Yes the Rad is about 45 pounds heavier than my MTB but that's insignificant because unless you're 100 pounds the rider is the vast majority of the weight being stopped.

GAF

Received my rad city 5 in May for a week or so this August  i have noticed the rear brakes getting softer and now i have no rear breaks, unfortunately their is no bike shop in town willing to work on Rad bikes so im stuck

Gray Beard

GAF go to Velofix.com and see if they are in your area.  They are a mobile bike repair service that RAD will have work on their bikes.  I had warranty work done on my derailleur by Velofix with no cost to me.   Highly recommend them. 
Good luck. Chris