News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad City 4 - Difficult to pedal at power level 0

Started by alykat2, April 08, 2022, 08:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

alykat2

Wondering if anyone has experienced that it is almost impossible to pedal Rad City 4 at power level 0!  It is like the brakes are on, and you really have to exert a lot of effort to keep the bike moving.

Radio Runner

Troubleshooting time.

Do the wheels spin freely when off the ground?

NaturallyRC

Yeah, that's the big question. And did this just start happening, or is the bike new to you? A lot of these Rads are tough to pedal without the help of the motor, a downhill slope, or massive tailwind.

Quote from: Radio Runner on April 08, 2022, 10:13:55 PM
Do the wheels spin freely when off the ground?

Slowrider

Quote from: alykat2 on April 08, 2022, 08:21:17 PM
Wondering if anyone has experienced that it is almost impossible to pedal Rad City 4 at power level 0!  It is like the brakes are on, and you really have to exert a lot of effort to keep the bike moving.
As someone says check to see if the wheels freely spin when the bike is off the ground (by hand with the bike turned off of course).  I can pedal my RadCity 5 just fine with power level 0 on flat ground. Also it depends on what gear you're in as to how easy it will be. 

I think it's also relative to you and your strength and weight.  I'm a 250 pound guy that's out of shape so with the heavier Rad bike I'm pushing about 325 pounds vs 280 pounds on my regular bike.  On flat ground that's not a huge difference.

Eric7

I retract my answer.  I did not realize you are riding a Rad City 4.  I have no experience with this bike.

rjp

Is that because it has a direct drive motor and it doesn't free wheel like a gear motor. There's always a little drag in the motor.