News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

General public perception of e-bikes

Started by Slowrider, April 08, 2022, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Slowrider

If you want to know what the non bike riding general public (The vast majority of people) thinks of e-bikes you should read some of the responses to the Pinellas County Trail survey.  I feel as a group we really need get it together and do our very best when it comes to representing e-bikes to the public.  This is a relatively new technology and peoples first instinct is fear. 

https://www.opentownhall.com/portals/255/Issue_11723

JimInPT

Quote from: Slowrider on April 08, 2022, 02:03:20 PMI feel as a group we really need get it together and do our very best when it comes to representing e-bikes to the public.  This is a relatively new technology and peoples first instinct is fear. 

EDIT: I took the poll; you don't have to log in or provide identity info unless you wish.  Thanks again.
---------------

Thanks for the notification; I'll have a go at it.  But my biggest fear is fear itself - here in the "land of the free and the home of the brave" I still see a few ninnies driving their car alone on the roads with their face diaper strapped tightly in place like dutiful serfs. 

People have been trained to not only be fearful but to enjoy being afraid as their first response to anything new.  This is not good for e-bike acceptance or life in general.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Tree

Quote from: JimInPT on April 08, 2022, 07:04:43 PM
Quote from: Slowrider on April 08, 2022, 02:03:20 PMI feel as a group we really need get it together and do our very best when it comes to representing e-bikes to the public.  This is a relatively new technology and peoples first instinct is fear. 

Thanks for the notification; I'll have a go at it.  But my biggest fear is fear itself - here in the "land of the free and the home of the brave" I still see a few ninnies driving their car alone on the roads with their face diaper strapped tightly in place like dutiful serfs. 

People have been trained to not only be fearful but to enjoy being afraid as their first response to anything new.  This is not good for e-bike acceptance or life in general.

thanks for taking what should be an otherwise constructive thread, and using it as a tool to tout your own idiocy, hatred, and ignorance. kudos to you.

Tree

Quote from: Slowrider on April 08, 2022, 02:03:20 PM
If you want to know what the non bike riding general public (The vast majority of people) thinks of e-bikes you should read some of the responses to the Pinellas County Trail survey.  I feel as a group we really need get it together and do our very best when it comes to representing e-bikes to the public.  This is a relatively new technology and peoples first instinct is fear. 

https://www.opentownhall.com/portals/255/Issue_11723

we do need to get it together as a group - i know that when i'm on a shared trail, i'm extra courteous and cautious, slow down considerably especially around bends and such - but like any group, there are going to be idiots and jackasses.

JimInPT

Quote from: Tree on April 09, 2022, 07:51:22 AMthanks for taking what should be an otherwise constructive thread, and using it as a tool to tout your own idiocy, hatred, and ignorance. kudos to you.

Having a bad day, or is your guy just not working out?

Slowrider

Quote from: Tree on April 09, 2022, 07:53:06 AM
we do need to get it together as a group - i know that when i'm on a shared trail, i'm extra courteous and cautious, slow down considerably especially around bends and such - but like any group, there are going to be idiots and jackasses.
You're right that it's important to be extra courteous and cautious.  Unfortunately if a pedestrian gets passed by ten courteous people just like you and almost ran over by one jerk guess what one he's going to remember?  It can be a losing battle but I think it's important to try.  I would like to see the big e-bike manufacturers like Rad put on more educational displays for the public. It's a win win for them because yes it would cost money but it's going to make people want to buy the bikes.

Quote from: JimInPT on April 08, 2022, 07:04:43 PM
You're 100% right that people tend to be fearful of something they don't understand.  Maybe it's a primitive survival mechanism IDK?  People were fearful of the automobile when it first came out.  It's not good to be blindly oblivious to danger but knowledge can make people feel and be more in control so they can reduce risks.  I think as e-bike riders we should try to show people that yes it can be dangerous but with the proper knowledge that danger can be minimized making it a fun activity. 

JimInPT

Quote from: Slowrider on April 09, 2022, 10:38:34 AMI think as e-bike riders we should try to show people that yes it can be dangerous but with the proper knowledge that danger can be minimized making it a fun activity.

Yep, agreed; I've been through this with motorcycles and airplanes too.  Best to just not be a jerk about it and learn how to ease new people into the idea if they're receptive - never insist.

I even have three bells on my Mini - the cheerful little dinger that came on it for quiet woods trails, a bigger and louder bell for the beach trails that tend to have surf/wind noise and a blistering electronic one to cut through a rolled-up car window on the rare occasions it's necessary.  Moderation and proportion in all things works pretty well.

Slowrider

Quote from: JimInPT on April 09, 2022, 10:44:14 AM
Quote from: Slowrider on April 09, 2022, 10:38:34 AMI think as e-bike riders we should try to show people that yes it can be dangerous but with the proper knowledge that danger can be minimized making it a fun activity.

Yep, agreed; I've been through this with motorcycles and airplanes too.  Best to just not be a jerk about it and learn how to ease new people into the idea if they're receptive - never insist.

I even have three bells on my Mini - the cheerful little dinger that came on it for quiet woods trails, a bigger and louder bell for the beach trails that tend to have surf/wind noise and a blistering electronic one to cut through a rolled-up car window on the rare occasions it's necessary.  Moderation and proportion in all things works pretty well.

I've thought about buying another bell for my RadCity 5.  Hmmm I wonder if anyone makes something comical sounding just for when you're slowly coming up on pedestrians but don't want to startle them.  A bell unlike a horn is sort of neutral but if there was a funny noisemaker that would be more positive and get a more cheerful response.  Of course you could only use this for situations where you didn't need them to move out of the way really quickly. 

JimInPT

Quote from: Slowrider on April 09, 2022, 11:01:09 AMI've thought about buying another bell for my RadCity 5.  Hmmm I wonder if anyone makes something comical sounding just for when you're slowly coming up on pedestrians but don't want to startle them.  A bell unlike a horn is sort of neutral but if there was a funny noisemaker that would be more positive and get a more cheerful response.  Of course you could only use this for situations where you didn't need them to move out of the way really quickly.

Something like this might be just what you're looking for; scroll down to reviews and there's a short video in one that lets you hear it. 
https://amzn.to/3MvL3RT

Eric7

Quote from: Slowrider on April 09, 2022, 11:01:09 AM
I've thought about buying another bell for my RadCity 5.  Hmmm I wonder if anyone makes something comical sounding just for when you're slowly coming up on pedestrians but don't want to startle them.  A bell unlike a horn is sort of neutral but if there was a funny noisemaker that would be more positive and get a more cheerful response.  Of course you could only use this for situations where you didn't need them to move out of the way really quickly.

Yea.  Sometimes I worry a bell or a horn may be rude, like "please get out of my way."  I thought about hanging a small bell - preferably a bell I can silence when there are no pedestrians. 

I feel I am nicer on an ebike than on a regular bike.  On a regular bike, I am not so strong and I have to share the path - especially going uphill.  On an ebike, when a family with a baby stroller and mini kids and a puppy are around, I can give them a wide berth, I can ride on the grassy part even going uphill.  I can be at least 20 feet away from them at all times and going SLOW.  There is no need for momentum to carry me through the grass going uphill.

Tree

Quote from: JimInPT on April 09, 2022, 10:33:36 AM
Quote from: Tree on April 09, 2022, 07:51:22 AMthanks for taking what should be an otherwise constructive thread, and using it as a tool to tout your own idiocy, hatred, and ignorance. kudos to you.

Having a bad day, or is your guy just not working out?

nah, i just call people out when they say stupid stuff, and "face diaper" is VERY high up there on the list of stupid things people say.

JimInPT

Quote from: Tree on April 09, 2022, 01:51:39 PMnah, i just call people out when they say stupid stuff, and "face diaper" is VERY high up there on the list of stupid things people say.

And so is "a tool to tout your own idiocy, hatred, and ignorance" as well, perhaps a tad more.  So let's call it a draw, ok? 
I'm content, albeit eager, to stand by until November.

Rover

"Face Diaper" was the first ignorant salvo. But now 'let's call it a draw?" And then the November thing. Not sure how that's relevant to the topic at hand. But one thing is clear from this thread, not everyone on an e-bike is suited to be an ambassador to better e-bike understanding. Or much else it would seem.

JimInPT

Quote from: Rover on April 12, 2022, 12:44:47 PM"Face Diaper" was the first ignorant salvo.

My point was about people who are so fearful on a daily basis that they will wear their strap-on inside their car when driving alone - as can be easily observed daily in my small town.  Now how does that accomplish anything at all, other than just adhering to blind fear, and why is it "ignorant" to point out the uselessness of doing so?  Who's being "protected" and from what, exactly?

I will agree with you that this is veering off-topic, although related to the phenomena of many people now trained to be fearful as their first reaction to new experiences, including encountering e-bikes.

Tree

Quote from: JimInPT on April 12, 2022, 01:18:22 PM
Quote from: Rover on April 12, 2022, 12:44:47 PM"Face Diaper" was the first ignorant salvo.

My point was about people who are so fearful on a daily basis that they will wear their strap-on inside their car when driving alone - as can be easily observed daily in my small town.  Now how does that accomplish anything at all, other than just adhering to blind fear, and why is it "ignorant" to point out the uselessness of doing so?  Who's being "protected" and from what, exactly?

I will agree with you that this is veering off-topic, although related to the phenomena of many people now trained to be fearful as their first reaction to new experiences, including encountering e-bikes.

and my point is that you made an irrelevant, asinine statement. Your excuse that were making some sort of point is equally asinine.

If someone wants to wear a mask in their car, that's their business. They're not hurting anyone. I don't tell you to leave your cult, or stop being brainwashed, because that's your business, even if it may very well hurt other people.