Author Topic: Rad Mini Step thru 2 rear clacking  (Read 3113 times)

KermitVR01

• View Profile
Rad Mini Step thru 2 rear clacking
« on: April 01, 2022, 05:16:55 AM »
Purchased Oct 21, 400 ish miles, rear wheel clack, once per revolution, only when weighted, both when pedaled or coasting.  Spokes seem very solid- no noise diff between them when struck.  Already had 1 rear wheel assembly replaced. Ideas?

Eric7

• View Profile
Re: Rad Mini Step thru 2 rear clacking
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 06:54:51 AM »
You say there is a sound regardless of whether you are pedaling.  I have suggestions but I am no bike mechanic so follow them if you want but you have to take responsibility for any failure.

(1) What about speed? Lower your seat. Do you hear it sitting on the bike (weighting it) and walking it?  I would slowly walk it and maybe mark my tire with chalk at the lowest point when I hear the sound.

(2) Do it without the battery.  Unlikely but easy.  But does the sound go away?

(3) Do it only if it is safe.  Completely loosen the rear brake cable.  Does the sound go away?

(4) Remove the rear fender.  Does the sound go away?

(5) Unlikely.  Remove the chain.  Does the sound go away?

After that, it has to be the wheel.  It is the spoke or bearing.

Check rim for cracks.

Spin the wheels, is it true side to side and up and down?

Loosen bolt, move the wheel a half inch, move it back.  Tighten again.  Sound goes away?

Completely remove the wheel.  Spin the axle with your fingers?  Feel a rough spot at every turn?

Tighten each spoke 1/8 turn.  Naturally, mark them so you don't mess up?  Feel anything funny?  Loosen them again.

What I am saying is you can slowing eliminate the other causes leaving you with only the wheel and bearing.  If you cannot fix those, it is time to call Rad maybe for another wheel replacement.

philbtv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 10:40:47 AM »
I had the same issue with my Rad Mini. Weighted, pedaling or not pedaling. Took it to the shop Rad told me to see. They adjusted the rear spokes and it solved the problem. It took two visits but they finally got it right. Rad covered it under warranty since I called them first. They quickly reimbursed me for the repair work. I know nothing about spokes. Good luck!
Phil

2021 Rad Mini Step Thru

Radio Runner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 10:00:24 PM »
Seems there was a run of poorly tensioned wheels that got loose.

Franco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 12:06:03 PM »
I had the same issue with my Rad Mini. Weighted, pedaling or not pedaling. Took it to the shop Rad told me to see. They adjusted the rear spokes and it solved the problem. It took two visits but they finally got it right. Rad covered it under warranty since I called them first. They quickly reimbursed me for the repair work. I know nothing about
spokes. Good luck!

what was the charge for balancing the spokes?

KermitVR01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 01:11:56 PM »
 Thanks all.   Sound from same location on wheel. if do esses/weaving, clacks only when going right and straight ahead.  To me that means a bearing, as only when the bearing has a load.  Time for a Rad call.   thanks again!

Radio Runner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 12:25:12 AM »
Thanks all.   Sound from same location on wheel. if do esses/weaving, clacks only when going right and straight ahead.  To me that means a bearing, as only when the bearing has a load.  Time for a Rad call.   thanks again!

Certainly could be the bearings but you might be surprised how much noise poorly tensioned spokes can make. They are under a shared load all the time.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 03:22:44 PM »

Certainly could be the bearings but you might be surprised how much noise poorly tensioned spokes can make. They are under a shared load all the time.

I have heard that once the bearing goes the rear wheel is no good.  That was because the bearing races are not meant to be replaced and the electric connection (being too big) won't go through the bearing rings and nuts preventing ball bearing replacement.  I would be happy to be wrong - just something you should consider.

Radding Along

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 04:53:07 AM »
It seems like most Mini’s have the rear wheel clacking. In almost all cases it’s the spoke tension. Thankfully spokes are easy to tighten.

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 10:46:50 AM »
Had this on my Mini 4. Difficult to find but a spoke on rear was broken at its bend going through the hub.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 07:28:32 PM »
I just got it today. I took each spoke and wiggle it near the rim end. One spoke made noise. I tightened it .25 turn at a time. At .75 turn it went away. I added an extra half turn. Fixed it. 275 miles on the odometer.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 07:28:32 PM »