News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

snapped a chain

Started by sloppy, April 21, 2020, 05:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

sloppy

So my chain snapped on the way out of work yesteday.  What kind of life span is everyone seeing on their chains?  I am almost a 500 miles seems kinda short lived to me.   

Ryan

Sounds like an early demise. I have over 3,000 miles on our original chain. Did it just happen while you were riding?

sloppy

Happened in parking deck leaving work when mounting bike.  No shifting or hard gears even.  Just snapped.  Everyone from LBS to other guys that ride were pretty shocked the way it broke just basically getting on bike. 

On the upside I can ride home on motor only, a couple hills definitely were pushing the bike and I walked the one but I can make it throttle only.  I have two really good LBS within less than five minutes of work.  But just couldn't stop had to be home by a certain time with the current quarantine stuff I knew it would take to long at the shops. 

Did get to stop yesterday on way home and got a master link and ordered a "ebike" rated chain.  so hopefully I get more than 500 miles out of that.  LOL. 

Ryan

Quote from: sloppy on April 22, 2020, 09:33:42 AM
Happened in parking deck leaving work when mounting bike.  No shifting or hard gears even.  Just snapped.  Everyone from LBS to other guys that ride were pretty shocked the way it broke just basically getting on bike. 

On the upside I can ride home on motor only, a couple hills definitely were pushing the bike and I walked the one but I can make it throttle only.  I have two really good LBS within less than five minutes of work.  But just couldn't stop had to be home by a certain time with the current quarantine stuff I knew it would take to long at the shops. 

Did get to stop yesterday on way home and got a master link and ordered a "ebike" rated chain.  so hopefully I get more than 500 miles out of that.  LOL.

I guess that motor comes in handy. Can you share what chain you ended up buying? This is something I haven't looked into just yet.

Carsten

Quote from: Ryan on April 22, 2020, 10:19:37 AM

I guess that motor comes in handy. Can you share what chain you ended up buying? This is something I haven't looked into just yet.

In contrast to the mid-engine bikes, our rear wheel engine bikes do not transmit the power via chain. Only the human power will travel through the chain, there is no additional power transmission from the electric drive via the chain. So, there should be no need for a specially reinforced chain. Any chain that fits to the chainring, sprocket, and derailleur combination, and has the right length should be fine. IMHO.

sloppy

Quote from: Ryan on April 22, 2020, 10:19:37 AM

Sure will as soon as it comes in. 

I do realize a hub motor is not transferring power three the chain. 

My only reason for going with a ebike rated chain is the fact that it's a cargo bike.  Which even without a motor is more load on a drivetrain

fin_rad

Rad Rhino, just counted the length of its chain and got 122 links. Have to believe my eyes, I always though it was the 114 links version of KMC z7 chain. Or am I counting it wrong - can someone who got Rad Rhino or Rover verify this? :)

Mic

Quote from: fin_rad on October 25, 2020, 11:03:40 AM
Rad Rhino, just counted the length of its chain and got 122 links. Have to believe my eyes, I always though it was the 114 links version of KMC z7 chain. Or am I counting it wrong - can someone who got Rad Rhino or Rover verify this? :)
I also have counted 122 links on my Rad Rhino for future reference.

fin_rad

^Ok, so I perhaps counted it right this time [emoji2] Thanks!

Odd thing is that the Rad EU customer support answered me slightly different:
"The chains used on our bikes are the KMC Z7 with 120 links. We also have these available for sale, if you wish to purchase one directly from us."

The price is 20 EUR + delivery costs 15 EUR to Finland which is not that much. But I just wonder how much difference it will make 120 vs. 122 links....

fin_rad

Quote from: fin_rad on October 27, 2020, 12:50:57 PM
^Ok, so I perhaps counted it right this time [emoji2] Thanks!

Odd thing is that the Rad EU customer support answered me slightly different:
"The chains used on our bikes are the KMC Z7 with 120 links. We also have these available for sale, if you wish to purchase one directly from us."

The price is 20 EUR + delivery costs 15 EUR to Finland which is not that much. But I just wonder how much difference it will make 120 vs. 122 links....
Got new chains this week, and built a 122 link chain from two 114 link chains (KMC Z7) yesterday. Also purchased two spare chains of same type for the future needs. After short test drive gears are changing smoother and chains make less noise.

Price was around 9 EUR per chain including delivery costs, so this time following the DIY method saved me some money compared to the RPB customer service's offer earlier. ;)