News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Beach riding tips??

Started by CyBear77, March 29, 2022, 01:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

CyBear77

Hello guys,...So the first time I took my Mini off the path and onto soft sand was a disaster...went down like I was shot...So I walked the bike until I got to wet sand was able to ride.
Any tips??

santacruzpaul

Salt and sand makes maintenance and cleaning a REAL chore, I stick to country service trails, roads, and paved surfaces 

Quote from: CyBear77 on March 29, 2022, 01:22:53 PM
Hello guys,...So the first time I took my Mini off the path and onto soft sand was a disaster...went down like I was shot...So I walked the bike until I got to wet sand was able to ride.
Any tips??

Radio Runner

Lower your tire pressure to 5-10psi for loose sand.

Pump it back up later or risk a pinch flat on hard surfaces.

NaturallyRC

Slide your ass way back past the seat with your arms fully extended, just like a Dakar motorbiker. Don't bother steering the front wheel as it will just plow in. Shift your weight to steer the ship. Works in mud, deep water and snow. Trust me I know. Tons of fun once you get the hang of it.

Eric7

Quote from: santacruzpaul on March 29, 2022, 02:23:26 PM
Salt and sand makes maintenance and cleaning a REAL chore, I stick to country service trails, roads, and paved surfaces 

Quote from: CyBear77 on March 29, 2022, 01:22:53 PM
Any tips??

I agree.  Riding on the beach will lead to long-term problems.  I used to ride a non-electric bike on the beach.  The sand and salt water ruin everything.  You can clean as much as you want but if you miss a spot, rust will develop.  Some spots would be some parts in the shifter, the metal thing at the end of the cable housings, the cable, the hex holes in bolts, the saddle post clamps, the steel parts on the saddle, stuff like that. If you ride enough, you will find sand (with salt) in everything, in all the gaps, at the ends of all the cable housing, in the brake handle mechanisms, all over the place.  The sand eventually gunked up my freewheel and it was no longer freewheeling.  It had to be replaced.