News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Hot Charger

Started by HokieInIdaho, March 20, 2022, 06:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

HokieInIdaho

Given the age of another post with similar topic, it was suggested by the 'bot to create a new thread.

I've charged both our RR6+ and our RC5+ST exactly 1 time now.

Same battery rating, same charger rating, except 2 different types of chargers that came with bikes.
RR6+ was charged inside house at 72 degrees ambient temps, and the charger was barely warm. Charged for several hours.

RC5+ was charged in garage at 62 degrees ambient temps, and was so hot I could barely pick it up. Also charged for several hours.

Attached photos. RR6+ charger on left with orange cord.
RC5+ on right with labeling.

Both rated 2A, 120W.

I'm not a fan of the hot charger.

Radio Runner

I elevate mine so its got air flow on all sides. If you leave one side flat on a surface it will over heat like you've experienced.

HokieInIdaho

Crazy - the other one doesn't hardly heat up. I wonder what this thing would do in an environment like my wiring closet - probably burn the house down.

Slowrider

Quote from: HokieInIdaho on March 20, 2022, 06:25:24 PM
Given the age of another post with similar topic, it was suggested by the 'bot to create a new thread.

I've charged both our RR6+ and our RC5+ST exactly 1 time now.

Same battery rating, same charger rating, except 2 different types of chargers that came with bikes.
RR6+ was charged inside house at 72 degrees ambient temps, and the charger was barely warm. Charged for several hours.

RC5+ was charged in garage at 62 degrees ambient temps, and was so hot I could barely pick it up. Also charged for several hours.

Attached photos. RR6+ charger on left with orange cord.
RC5+ on right with labeling.

Both rated 2A, 120W.

I'm not a fan of the hot charger.

Yes the one with the orange cord is the new version.  I have the old version with my RadCity 5 and it gets very hot.  What I do is set it on top of an air filter I have and it blows air on it.  Perhaps get a small fan to blow on it. 

Ddaybc

I asked Rad about the heat of my charger for my RW4. They replied it's normal for it to get about as hot as a fresh cup of coffee in a paper cup. I wasn't comfortable with the heat and the base was getting, in my opinion, too hot so I turned my charger on its side while charging. It must be an airflow issue as it keeps it cool enough that I'm ok with it now.

NaturallyRC

I use a room fan to blow air on it. I assume the heat is why they don't recommend leaving the charger on after the battery is full. Probably has more to do with not cooking the charger prematurely than protecting the battery, which is no longer getting juice.

Quote from: Ddaybc on March 21, 2022, 07:39:37 AM
I asked Rad about the heat of my charger for my RW4. They replied it's normal for it to get about as hot as a fresh cup of coffee in a paper cup. I wasn't comfortable with the heat and the base was getting, in my opinion, too hot so I turned my charger on its side while charging. It must be an airflow issue as it keeps it cool enough that I'm ok with it now.

Slowrider

Quote from: NaturallyRC on March 21, 2022, 07:42:37 AM
I use a room fan to blow air on it. I assume the heat is why they don't recommend leaving the charger on after the battery is full. Probably has more to do with not cooking the charger prematurely than protecting the battery, which is no longer getting juice.

Once the battery is charged it doesn't get hot.  At least mine doesn't.  I really wish they put a fan in it though

Ddaybc

Slowrider, I agree. Mine doesn't get hot once it's charged and I've often felt a small built in fan would help a lot.

NaturallyRC

I was unclear. My battery doesn't get hot to the touch; the charger gets hot. The fan cools it down considerably (surprised me how much, actually). A cool charger is a good thing. Cheers.

Quote from: Slowrider on March 22, 2022, 06:25:41 AM

Once the battery is charged it doesn't get hot.  At least mine doesn't.  I really wish they put a fan in it though

Slowrider

Quote from: NaturallyRC on March 23, 2022, 04:42:05 AM
I was unclear. My battery doesn't get hot to the touch; the charger gets hot. The fan cools it down considerably (surprised me how much, actually). A cool charger is a good thing. Cheers.

Quote from: Slowrider on March 22, 2022, 06:25:41 AM

Yes that's what I meant too.  No heat from the battery.  It seems to stay cool even when charging.  I would be scared if it got hot.

NaturallyRC

Me too!   ;D  Thanks for clarifying.

Quote from: Slowrider on March 24, 2022, 05:44:53 AM
Yes that's what I meant too.  No heat from the battery.  I would be scared if it got hot.