News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadCity Step-Thru Electric Commuter Bike Version 3

Started by Iceskater, March 15, 2022, 01:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Iceskater

I am looking to purchase the RadCity Step-Thru Electric Commuter Bike Version 3 and want to know if the 750W motor is good at going up the hills on just using the throttle.

Thank you,
Carolyn Zimmerman
Theskatequeen@comcast.net

JimInPT

There are a lot of variables without knowing more: the slope and length of the hills, how charged-up the battery is (fully-charged pulls harder since the controller manages power to conserve battery life), plus the total weight of the bike, accessories, stuff being hauled and you.  But with a power capability similar to my MiniST, I can tell you I was surprised at how good mine is at experimentally hill-climbing my fat butt all over my hilly town throttle-only, so your odds are pretty good.  The biggest difference is that the larger-diameter-wheel bikes like the City and Rover aren't quite as good at it as the smaller 20" tires of the Minis and Runners.  I think the City's design has pretty-efficient treads with lower rolling resistance than the Rovers, so that helps.

I almost always pedal my Mini though, for a bit of exercise and to get up the hills faster.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Eric7

Quote from: JimInPT on March 15, 2022, 01:21:52 PM
There are a lot of variables without knowing more: the slope and length of the hills, how charged-up the battery is (fully-charged pulls harder since the controller manages power to conserve battery life), plus the total weight of the bike, accessories, stuff being hauled and you.  But with a power capability similar to my MiniST, I can tell you I was surprised at how good mine is at experimentally hill-climbing my fat butt all over my hilly town throttle-only, so your odds are pretty good.  The biggest difference is that the larger-diameter-wheel bikes like the City and Rover aren't quite as good at it as the smaller 20" tires of the Minis and Runners.  I think the City's design has pretty-efficient treads with lower rolling resistance than the Rovers, so that helps.

I almost always pedal my Mini though, for a bit of exercise and to get up the hills faster.

Total guess: I think Rad uses the same motor and pretty much the same controller settings (except faster or slower rpm) on the big wheel bikes as the small wheel bikes. The effect is that the small wheel bike climbs faster as Jim says.  This is downplayed because someone buying a $2000 bike don't want to hear that the $1300 bike climbs faster.  One again, this is my guess only.  I don't know what sort of effect this has on any other parameter like whether which one is faster and which one is more efficient or get more mileage per charge.