News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rim design on Expand5?

Started by Radio Runner, March 12, 2022, 11:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Radio Runner

On close ups of the 20" rim cross section where the nipples meet the spokes it looks like there is a new "shelfed" design not smooth and convex from sidewall to sidewall like the MiniST, RR and RRPlus. Anyone have a better picture than Rads website offers?

Radio Runner

Zoom in on those rims folks. Seems the rim design changed from convex to a stepped design. Anyone else confirm? I am very curious if they also saved costs and went with a single wall design instead of a strong double wall construction that we have seen for years.

Slowrider

Quote from: Radio Runner on March 16, 2022, 07:29:41 PM
Zoom in on those rims folks. Seems the rim design changed from convex to a stepped design. Anyone else confirm? I am very curious if they also saved costs and went with a single wall design instead of a strong double wall construction that we have seen for years.

On the Rad website it lists them as "Double wall aluminum alloy, 36H, rim width: 60mm". 

Of course they do say "Parts or components used on the bike may differ from what's listed. Rad Power Bikes tests all components for compatibility and quality." but I think that's more of for the supply chain issues and I think they would have just been non specific if they were going to use single wall.

Radio Runner

Slowrider,

True, it does say double but I'm waiting for a pic from a new owner. It wouldn't be the 1st time I've seen a part discrepancy on their site. Emails have gone unanswered so far. That stepped rim surface is defiantly different. That 200 dollar savings had to come from somewhere and cant just be the sup fork, plastic chain guard, non integrated bell etc. Single wall rims are a notorious hidden from the eyes place to lower prices.