News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Protecting the battery from theft

Started by mtblair, March 12, 2022, 04:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

mtblair

I recently read the threads talking about the fact that a blank key will unlock a Rad battery. I know the absolute prevention is to take the battery with me whenever I go into a shop. But I wonder what innovative ways people here have come up with to protect the battery. Could a bracket be epoxied onto the battery through which a cable lock could be passed? I know that anything is just going to slow down the persistent thief, but it might deter the lazy criminal.  :)
Owner of a Rad Power Mini Step-Through 2

jcvdd

Are you saying that ALL RadPowerBike keys are generic and the same key will open ALL the bikes?
If so, where can one buy purchase a spare key? Are the keys able to be duplicated at your local
hardware store?

santacruzpaul

They are everywhere, Area 13 has them in stock, Along with Fleabay, and other sites, Don't know about local places,

Quote from: jcvdd on March 12, 2022, 06:34:28 AM
Are you saying that ALL RadPowerBike keys are generic and the same key will open ALL the bikes?
If so, where can one buy purchase a spare key? Are the keys able to be duplicated at your local
hardware store?

JimInPT

Quote from: mtblair on March 12, 2022, 04:33:56 AMBut I wonder what innovative ways people here have come up with to protect the battery.

Here's a link to a post I wrote up last summer going into detail about my approach.  Note that this specific arrangement might only fit the MiniST2 due to frame geometry.  Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=158.msg5317#msg5317

If you want a blank key, check your hardware store, lock shop, eBay etc.  It's a Honda motorcycle key - Ilco HD74 or X84.  I carry one along with my factory-cut key to demonstrate the problem to other Rad owners with this battery.  It makes the battery and/or bike ridiculously-easy to steal if not otherwise secured; some online sellers for the key blank tout the "convenience" of having just one key to operate ALL your Rad bikes.

I'm a little surprised, actually, that I haven't seen any reports of organized Rad battery-theft by big-city thieves, where there are a lot of Rads clustered together - the resale value of good-condition batteries is high.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Ddaybc

JimInPT I definitely like your solution to the battery issue. I've been thinking about doing something similar to my RW4 by making a bracket for the lower bottle holder and then using a U lock to help secure the battery like that.

Thinking about battery security got me to asking myself why bike designers don't approach the issue from a different perspective? I'm wondering how difficult would it be for a bike designer to put the key system in the frame and lock the battery that way. It's just a vertical peg anyway and the shape of the battery mount is what really keeps the battery in place. The peg just stops it from being moved off of the lugs. It would remove some weight from the battery, maybe allow more room for another cell but also make it more resistant to theft. It "might" make it easier to obtain keysets that aren't so easy to bypass too.

The key issue is actually on my list of things to check out this spring. I'm going to see if my local locksmith can change the tumblers or lockset for something that actually works like a real lock and key system instead of a generic securing device.

JimInPT

Quote from: Ddaybc on March 12, 2022, 09:34:19 AMThe key issue is actually on my list of things to check out this spring. I'm going to see if my local locksmith can change the tumblers or lockset for something that actually works like a real lock and key system instead of a generic securing device.

I keep wondering (slightly) if Rad is concerned about a class-action lawsuit from owners if organized thefts of these batteries start to appear.  They definitely know about the problem; I asked the CSR about it before I finalized the purchase of my MiniST a year ago (I'd heard about the blank-key thing) and she was well-trained, very nice but quite cagey in reply, didn't seem a bit surprised to hear about it.

Perhaps Rad has implemented a production change for a different lockset to get rid of the problem by now - would like to hear from owners of recently-delivered Rads with this battery to see if blanks still unlock 'em.

JimInPT

Quote from: jcvdd on March 12, 2022, 06:34:28 AM
If so, where can one buy purchase a spare key? Are the keys able to be duplicated at your local hardware store?

Blank keys will unlock most, if not all, Rad batteries on all models for at least the last couple years (which use that style battery), and maybe older - the new Rover/City bikes use a completely different battery, with the lock in the frame, and they'd be nuts to not have the problem fixed in them, but I haven't seen any reports one way or the other. 

But those new models have their own unique problem - the key will unlock the battery to remove it from the frame, but it is NOT possible to use the key to turn off the battery power as with other models - anybody can just walk up and turn the bike on with the handlebar controller.  Even if the bike is securely locked up, it's a safety and vandalism issue if a kid were to accidentally or intentionally start the rear wheel turning - might hurt the kid, might break spokes if the lock/cable passes through the wheel, or cause other damage.  I'm no lawyer, but I can smell a product-liability opportunity.  Reports from owners of these bikes indicate that when asked about it, Rad says "just unlock and take the battery with you!" - that's dandy when grocery shopping, hitting the coffee shop, going out to dinner or a movie; large 8-lb batteries just love to be walked about and entertained.   >:(

Yes, if they have the blank in stock, any keycutter can make you a spare; what you want is a Honda motorcycle key - Ilco HD74 or X84.  But if a blank key works, why not just get one of those, either from your local store or eBay?  You can buy TWO of them for US$9.49 at the moment on eBay, with free shipping:  www.ebay.com/itm/124705979958  I carry one with me just to demo the problem to other Rad owners who don't believe me when I let them know.

I love my MiniST2, but it's something of a clownshow with keys in RadLand.

Hey, recent Rad purchasers of Minis, Runners, Wagons or prior-gen Rover 5 bikes - have you tried a blank key in your new bike yet?  I'm curious to know if Rad has fixed this problem.

DevinStiles

Quote from: mtblair on March 12, 2022, 04:33:56 AM
I recently read the threads talking about the fact that a blank key will unlock a Rad battery. I know the absolute prevention is to take the battery with me whenever I go into a shop. But I wonder what innovative ways people here have come up with to protect the battery. Could a bracket be epoxied onto the battery through which a cable lock could be passed? I know that anything is just going to slow down the persistent thief, but it might deter the lazy criminal.  :)
Well, as far as i am concerned there is no need to use any other lock to secure it, contact a locksmith and they will provide you a lock  that can secure it and prevent it from theft.

MagnumPA

I tried my key in a co-workers rad bike, it turned one click to turn it off, but it did not go 2 clicks to unlock it.

I just take my battery inside when I'm at work, that way it's not sitting out in the hot sun/pouring rain all day. 

NathanBlackburn

The lock must be properly installed so that it won't unlock easily. Also, you can seek help from local locksmith to prevent it from theft.

BeachWagon

The bots pushing locksmiths aren't at all helpful. No evidence there was a human behind those posts at all.

It's a pain, but I normally take my battery with me into the store when I go shopping.

ericwn

Quote from: NathanBlackburn on April 11, 2023, 06:47:02 AM
The lock must be properly installed so that it won't unlock easily. Also, you can seek help from local locksmith to prevent it from theft.
Do you know what the discussion is about?