News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

New RAD Expand5 model

Started by movieman990, March 09, 2022, 07:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

NaturallyRC

So agree. I was overjoyed when ads showed the revised (final?) Mini with Big Boats instead of 4-inch knobbies, and I have not been disappointed in real life. They roll smooth on pavement, and are right at home on urban/suburban trails. Riders who need fat knobbies to negotiate their choice of terrain should be astride something other than a folding step-thru, to begin with, IMO.

Quote from: Radio Runner on March 22, 2022, 01:09:36 PM
Same thoughts on the CST Big Boats. Plenty wide enough and way more efficient on the road. I'm getting much longer battery life after ditching the Kenda K-Rads. Also a few pounds lighter in tire and tube. I only wish they went up to 65psi.

The 4" tires on the Expand5 have to got to be absolute battery-sucking slugs on pavement.

Unfortunately, marketing keeps driving people towards these super fat tires without listing any of the drawbacks.  I hope the CST's don't get discontinued.

Smackums

Oh yeah I love the CST big boats too! We decided not to get the 4" knobbies - I didn't run into anything the CST can't handle, and if I do, it's probably a place I typically wouldn't ride anyway like wet mud or pure sand or icy snow or something. I haven't lost traction anywhere, but I also ride it the same way I'd ride all-season tires in the snow - I don't accelerate/break/turn suddenly when in slippery or loose ground situations, I let momentum and a steady pace carry me safely through.

But I also really like the pavement performance (smoothness of the ride, easy on the battery, low resistance), and I think a lot of trails we will be going to will be at least partially (or fully) paved, because a lot of those trails will be "road bike" trails with beautiful views of the ocean and other nature, and not necessarily a mountain bike type situation, although the CST's didn't have any trouble with the latter either. So I love that they're basically like all-season tires - they're good all rounders, no real weak points, just don't expect them to be *fantastic* at any specific thing, and that's ok.

The cool thing is you actually can control a lot of that with how much you inflate them. So if I plan to have a specific terrain that day, I inflate accordingly and bias the tires towards performing well in those conditions. Most of the time I think I'll just keep them around 25psi or so, I think.

Edit: Also good point NaturallyRC - if I wanted a mountain bike, I probably should've gone for a mountain bike! If I wanted a road bike, well, there's the RadCity etc. But I like my bike because it's a great all-rounder, and the CST's I think are a good complement to that.

Smackums

One question I had - how hard is it to change a bike tire yourself? Should I just take it to a shop, or is it pretty simple for an average person with some basic tools to do? I'm thinking of getting some extra CST tires just in case.

NaturallyRC

I wish there were a like buttom, because yours is the quintessential foldie tire answer IMHO. I have enjoyed fat(ish) K-Rads on my KONA Kula for ten years solid, but would never want them on my Mini. Especially that time I had to pedal the Mini home on -- I don't know what you call it but it's when you're down to one bar and the controller will only give you about 50 watts max.

Quote from: Smackums on March 23, 2022, 07:23:39 AM
Oh yeah I love the CST big boats too! We decided not to get the 4" knobbies - I didn't run into anything the CST can't handle, and if I do, it's probably a place I typically wouldn't ride anyway like wet mud or pure sand or icy snow or something. I haven't lost traction anywhere, but I also ride it the same way I'd ride all-season tires in the snow - I don't accelerate/break/turn suddenly when in slippery or loose ground situations, I let momentum and a steady pace carry me safely through.

But I also really like the pavement performance (smoothness of the ride, easy on the battery, low resistance), and I think a lot of trails we will be going to will be at least partially (or fully) paved, because a lot of those trails will be "road bike" trails with beautiful views of the ocean and other nature, and not necessarily a mountain bike type situation, although the CST's didn't have any trouble with the latter either. So I love that they're basically like all-season tires - they're good all rounders, no real weak points, just don't expect them to be *fantastic* at any specific thing, and that's ok.

The cool thing is you actually can control a lot of that with how much you inflate them. So if I plan to have a specific terrain that day, I inflate accordingly and bias the tires towards performing well in those conditions. Most of the time I think I'll just keep them around 25psi or so, I think.

Edit: Also good point NaturallyRC - if I wanted a mountain bike, I probably should've gone for a mountain bike! If I wanted a road bike, well, there's the RadCity etc. But I like my bike because it's a great all-rounder, and the CST's I think are a good complement to that.

Eric7

Quote from: Smackums on March 23, 2022, 07:29:08 AM
One question I had - how hard is it to change a bike tire yourself? Should I just take it to a shop, or is it pretty simple for an average person with some basic tools to do? I'm thinking of getting some extra CST tires just in case.

It can be easy on a good day or extremely difficult on the side of the road, in tall grass, with the sun beating over your head or in the rain.  The tools required are just some tire irons and strong hands and a good wrench to remove the nut holding the rear wheel to the frame.  If you drop and lose a lock washer or a lock nut in the grass, you are so messed up.

Do you have a bicycle? Practice doing it on a bicycle wheel first in the air-conditioned or heated comfort of your home.  Buy plastic "tire irons," maybe 2 sets because they are cheap.  The metal tire irons scratch your rims.  Then just follow instructions on youtube.  If you mess up, then all you damage is a cheaper bike tire/wheel which you can bring to the bike shop to fix.

If all goes well, practice on the ebike.  I think this is the best way to proceed.

I would not take my bike to any bike shop unless I know they are competent.  For some models like the Rad Wagon, you are relying on the locknut and washer being in the right place.  A bad bike shop will damage your bike if they are not careful.  E.g., if the friction nut washer is not properly installed, if the torque arm is not right, power to the wheel may cause slippage and the rotating axle will turn and I could imagine it will do a job on our electric cable.  Also, in connecting and disconnecting the electric connection to the drive wheel, you can damage the connector if you force it.  I don't know what or how the Expand5 wheel is attached.  If the battery is attached, an accidental screwdriver/brake cable on the connector can short the battery and maybe the controller.  A competent bike shop would remove the battery.  But you should never underestimate the creativity of incompetent people.  Most bike shops have fine folks - I am just protective about my bike. 

Smackums

Quote from: Eric7 on March 23, 2022, 02:59:29 PM
Quote from: Smackums on March 23, 2022, 07:29:08 AM

It can be easy on a good day or extremely difficult on the side of the road, in tall grass, with the sun beating over your head or in the rain.  The tools required are just some tire irons and strong hands and a good wrench to remove the nut holding the rear wheel to the frame.  If you drop and lose a lock washer or a lock nut in the grass, you are so messed up.

Do you have a bicycle? Practice doing it on a bicycle wheel first in the air-conditioned or heated comfort of your home.  Buy plastic "tire irons," maybe 2 sets because they are cheap.  The metal tire irons scratch your rims.  Then just follow instructions on youtube.  If you mess up, then all you damage is a cheaper bike tire/wheel which you can bring to the bike shop to fix.

If all goes well, practice on the ebike.  I think this is the best way to proceed.

I would not take my bike to any bike shop unless I know they are competent.  For some models like the Rad Wagon, you are relying on the locknut and washer being in the right place.  A bad bike shop will damage your bike if they are not careful.  E.g., if the friction nut washer is not properly installed, if the torque arm is not right, power to the wheel may cause slippage and the rotating axle will turn and I could imagine it will do a job on our electric cable.  Also, in connecting and disconnecting the electric connection to the drive wheel, you can damage the connector if you force it.  I don't know what or how the Expand5 wheel is attached.  If the battery is attached, an accidental screwdriver/brake cable on the connector can short the battery and maybe the controller.  A competent bike shop would remove the battery.  But you should never underestimate the creativity of incompetent people.  Most bike shops have fine folks - I am just protective about my bike.

Thanks! I don't have a spare bike, but it's ok I'll just do my best with the ebike. And I agree about being a bit paranoid about bike shops - although there are a few in my area that are "partners" with Rad in the sense that when you buy a Rad you can pay $200 to have it sent to that shop and they will build it for you. It doesn't guarantee anything beyond that, but it does give me some comfort that they have experience with ebikes, and Rad bikes specifically. I do tend to be protective of the bike too, so I'll learn as much as I can and do what I can myself.

Eric7

Quote from: Smackums on March 29, 2022, 10:24:38 AM
Thanks! I don't have a spare bike, but it's ok I'll just do my best with the ebike. And I agree about being a bit paranoid about bike shops - although there are a few in my area that are "partners" with Rad in the sense that when you buy a Rad you can pay $200 to have it sent to that shop and they will build it for you. It doesn't guarantee anything beyond that, but it does give me some comfort that they have experience with ebikes, and Rad bikes specifically. I do tend to be protective of the bike too, so I'll learn as much as I can and do what I can myself.

See this about another ebike. 

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/blix-vika-plus-trouble.29742/

" ... A few days after I got my first flat tire (on the hub motor) and I took it to a bike shop to fix it. When I got back the bike shop told me that the 9 pin circular connection between the motor and the controller appears to be melted and when I took the bike out for a ride it had trouble throttling. The bikeshop said that this is how the bike was when I got there and there was no way for me to disprove them. ... "

I decided to put slime (or any other brand) in my ebike tires.  If I get a flat the slime will not fix, I'll take a cab or something like that home.  I don't want to fix an ebike rear wheel flat on the side of the road.  I commuted 5.5 years on a bike and probably repaired a flat 6 times on the side of the road in my life with a regular non electric bike.  It is no fun.  Difficult.  Gets your hands all dirty.  And doing it well and relatively fast, which I can do, proves nothing.  If you can see the nail/cause of hour flat, you can even fix the inner tube without removing the wheel from the frame.  I can do that too.  But I got to the point in life where I don't want to fix a rear flat on an ebike on the side of the road.

Ryan

Here is my RadExpand review. Hopefully it helps those considering it: https://youtu.be/qJZiFsO5Npo

NaturallyRC

LOL. You're THAT Ryan. Who knew? Your YouTube channel is one big reason (maybe the main reason) I bought a Mini ST sight unseen (I love it btw).

Quote from: Ryan on April 01, 2022, 06:48:41 AM
Here is my RadExpand review. Hopefully it helps those considering it: https://youtu.be/qJZiFsO5Npo

Ryan

Quote from: NaturallyRC on April 01, 2022, 02:36:21 PM
LOL. You're THAT Ryan. Who knew? Your YouTube channel is one big reason (maybe the main reason) I bought a Mini ST sight unseen (I love it btw).

Quote from: Ryan on April 01, 2022, 06:48:41 AM

Ha, yes! Fun fact: my YouTube channel started as the "Rad Owners Forum" YouTube channel that ONLY focused on Rad. It has obviously expanded at this point and unfortunately that means spending less time than I'd like on the forum. Glad I could help you with your decision, that's the goal. And I try my best to be objective. I want someone to buy the best ebike for them whether that benefits me or not.

NaturallyRC

Cool!

Quote from: Ryan on April 01, 2022, 07:35:05 PM
Ha, yes! Fun fact: my YouTube channel started as the "Rad Owners Forum" YouTube channel that ONLY focused on Rad. It has obviously expanded at this point and unfortunately that means spending less time than I'd like on the forum. Glad I could help you with your decision, that's the goal. And I try my best to be objective. I want someone to buy the best ebike for them whether that benefits me or not.