News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

New RAD Expand5 model

Started by movieman990, March 09, 2022, 07:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

movieman990

I am posting this at 7:45 a.m. Pacific time on Wednesday, March 9, 2022.

About 15 minutes ago I saw a post by eBike Escapes on one of the FB groups for RAD bikes.

The post was a review of a new model being introduced by RAD called the Expand5.

This model was shown to have a different handlebar arrangement and touted an LED display.

Beyond the fact that RAD was introducing a new model, when I tried to post a comment, I got a message that the OP had removed the post and that I could not post a comment.

I made a new post on that owner's group but don't know if it will get posted or not.

Anyone else heard of this new Expand5?   Curious RAD owners want to know.

JimInPT

Here's an article about it:  https://electrek.co/2022/03/09/rad-power-bikes-launches-new-low-cost-radexpand-5-electric-bike-replacing-radmini/

Micah's video in the article says this replaces both of the current Minis (regular and step-through).

At first glace, it looks like a slightly stripped-down Mini (no front suspension, different display, no more folding pedals, which seems odd for a folding bike) with fatter tires, included rear rack and different handlebar with more adjustment.  $1,299 vs $1,499 for the Mini.  Same motor and battery, which bodes well for continuing availability of both for spares and replacement parts.

With no suspension and a crappier display, IMHO they're making a mistake if they don't continue to offer the MiniST - maybe this is forced on them by increasing parts costs so the Mini would have gotten too expensive for the lineup?

When Rad was offering two Minis for $1,150 each with package discounting last Oct/Nov, that's starting to look like a phenomenal deal in hindsight - if you are thinking of getting a current Mini model, now might be the last chance.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Ryan

I have a RadExpand 5 on the way and will get the video out asap. Here is the forums affiliate link if you decide to purchase one (Thanks for the support!): https://bit.ly/3vWfGee

JimInPT

Quote from: Ryan on March 09, 2022, 09:01:24 AM
I have a RadExpand 5 on the way and will get the video out asap. Here is the forums affiliate link if you decide to purchase one (Thanks for the support!): https://bit.ly/3vWfGee

That's great to hear, Ryan.  I'd appreciate some closer attention to things that seem somewhat concealed on the new Rad webpage, such as a good look at the new MicroShift (never heard of that brand) shifter and the handlebar mount and arrangement - looks like a Radrunner bar at first glance.  They actually shot the "closeup" of the bar with the black version on a black background.  Looks like Batman's ebike; can't see a thing.

The Electrek and eBikeEscape articles seem to dance around the negatives compared to the MiniST, such as no more front suspension - they probably want to continue to get access and free review bikes so try to brush that off by talking about wider knobby tires and lower tire pressures to "soak up the bumps".  But that also makes the bike less power-efficient and not as nimble on pavement.  It's also a lot easier to dial in suspension preload and lockout than mess around with tire pressures on the road.

I can't fault Rad too much for having to strip down the new model to meet an inflationary price point, I suppose, but why not buff up the MiniST with the new handlebar mount, front suspension, now-optional LCD display and included rack as the Expand5 Plus or something for those who want the current feature set, similar to the Runner and Runner Plus models?  They might have handed Lectric an opportunity here.

Anyway, as always your insights and honest opinions are welcome.

crorris

Just got an email from Rad with the link: https://bit.ly/3vWfGee

Eric7

1.  Does anyone have an opinion on whether the tires are an upgrade or downgrade?  I'll probably buy tires in 2023 but I am just wondering and taking notes.

2.  It seems the rear rack is tilted forward (lower in the front of the rack, higher in the back of the rack) compared to a Rad Mini Step Thru rack which I own and which is flat in my eyes.  It is just the picture?

3.  I don't know why, but a speedometer is very entertaining to me even when riding a regular non electric bike.  I'll miss that feature.

JimInPT

Quote from: Eric7 on March 09, 2022, 11:53:47 AM
1.  Does anyone have an opinion on whether the tires are an upgrade or downgrade?  I'll probably buy tires in 2023 but I am just wondering and taking notes.

2.  It seems the rear rack is tilted forward (lower in the front of the rack, higher in the back of the rack) compared to a Rad Mini Step Thru rack which I own and which is flat in my eyes.  It is just the picture?

3.  I don't know why, but a speedometer is very entertaining to me even when riding a regular non electric bike.  I'll miss that feature.

1.  For me, the tires would be a downgrade; they look like the wider knobby Kendas that Rad used to ship on the Minis, but when I ordered mine they'd switched over to the CST Big Boats and I was bummed.  Turns out, I'm perfectly happy with the CSTs - they ride quiet and handle much better than knobbies on pavement and packed-dirt trails, which is where I spend 95% of my time anyway.  So for me I'm glad Rad switched, but I'm sure grass, sand and mud riders would prefer the knobbies.

2.  Just a guess, but I would expect it to be the same rack as the Minis, mounted in the same location and should be level.  A non-level rack design is not a good design IMHO.  Maybe ask Ryan about it when he gets his review unit.

3.  You can use a speedo app on your phone with GPS; it'll be bigger numbers and more accurate, but it looks like the original Mini LCD display will be available as a $99 option according to the eBikeEscape writeup.  I'm with you; I couldn't stand one of those cheap-looking, uninformative LED displays.

Smackums

I'm about to purchase 2 radminis, so it was surprising to see expand5 show up just as I was going to finalize the purchase forcing me to stop and re-evaluate. I actually prefer the 4" knobby Kenda tires, but I also want the fork suspension (plan to be more off-roady with it). Rad forces you to pick one or the other. So the obvious choice is to go with the radmini and just purchase the knobby tires as a separate purchase, which of course will cost more, but I can have the CST Big Boats are backups so they won't go to waste.

I am REALLY hoping for a Expand5 PLUS as others mentioned - give me the 4" knobbers, give me the suspension, the good display, combined with the new frame with a THICC connector in the middle - basically the best of both generations. There's gotta be someone in RAD who can tell me if I should just wait a few weeks or so because a PLUS model is coming... I don't want to have buyer's regret if I go with the original mini :D

Eric7

Quote from: Smackums on March 10, 2022, 06:33:56 AM
I'm about to purchase 2 radminis, so it was surprising to see expand5 show up just as I was going to finalize the purchase forcing me to stop and re-evaluate. I actually prefer the 4" knobby Kenda tires, but I also want the fork suspension (plan to be more off-roady with it). Rad forces you to pick one or the other. So the obvious choice is to go with the radmini and just purchase the knobby tires as a separate purchase, which of course will cost more, but I can have the CST Big Boats are backups so they won't go to waste.

I am REALLY hoping for a Expand5 PLUS as others mentioned - give me the 4" knobbers, give me the suspension, the good display, combined with the new frame with a THICC connector in the middle - basically the best of both generations. There's gotta be someone in RAD who can tell me if I should just wait a few weeks or so because a PLUS model is coming... I don't want to have buyer's regret if I go with the original mini :D

I own the Rad Mini Step Thru.  I guess if I were to buy today, I would get the Expand 5 with an upgrade on the display (which another poster said is available).

Right now, it seems to me that the Rad Mini Step Thru is the Plus model.  The main benefits I see of the Expand 5 over the Rad Mini Step Thru without actually having one in front of me are

1.  Price.
2.  Rack.
3.  Stem that is shorter so it can be "lowered" with a replacement flatter handlebar.
4.  I don't know about 4-inch tires - depends on the user if this is a benefit.

Of course, I totally understand what you are saying and I have the same concerns.  Whether there will be a Plus model. 

Price aside, which is a big consideration, except for the shorter stem/handlebar arrangement, I don't see any improvement over the Rad Mini Step Thru that I would really really want.

I am glad to see that battery, hub motor, rims, possibly the frame parts like derailleur hanger are the same. This means that parts will be available for the Rad Mini Step Thru that I own for some time.  Possibly the frame is not totally interchangeable - which is fine because if I crack the frame, it will be time for a new bike and possibly the Expand 5.

I think the Expand 5 will be a great bike because of the price point.  And I suspect, of all of Rad's bikes, the Rad Mini and now the Expand 5 will have the most performance going uphill.  This is probably something they don't want to talk about.  :)

JimInPT

I'd guess that a "plus" version of the Expand5 would just be a Mini with a rack, knobby tires and somewhat-different handlebar geometry.  The rack is worth $80, but you'll have to pay $99 to get the optional LCD display that's standard on the Minis (and probably also on the hypothetical Expand5 Plus).  We know now the next-gen "Mini" has the same battery and motor as the current model (including the ability to unlock and steal the battery and/or bike with a blank uncut key), which is a good thing for future parts availability. 

Your plan is a good one IMHO; get the MiniST2 and order some knobby tires and a rack.  But try the Big Boats first; I was surprised at how good they are.

Sorry if this stings a bit, but I can't resist mentioning that 2 Minis could have been bought for $1,150 each in October and November during a Rad promotion ($1,300 price at that time, less $300 discount for buying two bikes at the same time).  I tried telling everybody I know who was interested in mine after trying it, and I don't think anybody took advantage of that deal.  Broke my heart, LOL.   :'(

Please Note: if you decide to buy any of the Rads, consider using Ryan's purchase link to get him a bit of revenue to operate this site, at no additional cost to you.

JimInPT

Quote from: Eric7 on March 10, 2022, 08:54:06 AMI think the Expand 5 will be a great bike because of the price point.  And I suspect, of all of Rad's bikes, the Rad Mini and now the Expand 5 will have the most performance going uphill.  This is probably something they don't want to talk about.  :)

That is exactly correct.  The Minis have the same motor, battery and power (80 nm) as the bigger Rovers for instance, but the smaller wheel diameter means more torque at the road surface.  I think it was CitizenCycle (YouTube channel, with lots of very useful tech and review vids) who performed exactly this test with his various Rads on a grassy slope - measuring time and distance up the hill.  The Rover couldn't make it all the way up, the Mini scooted over the top.

That being said, I'm still slapping a Bolton 35A controller/display upgrade onto my MiniST2 as my warranty expires today, for better hill-climbing torque up the two most-monstrous hills in town; the upgrade is waiting in the garage for warmer weather to do the work.

Smackums

Quote from: JimInPT on March 10, 2022, 09:19:31 AM

I'd guess that a "plus" version of the Expand5 would just be a Mini with a rack, knobby tires and somewhat-different handlebar geometry.  We know now the next-gen "Mini" has the same battery and motor as the current model (including the ability to unlock and steal the battery and/or bike with a blank uncut key), which is a good thing for future parts availability. 

Your plan is a good one IMHO; get the MiniST2 and order some knobby tires and a rack.  But try the Big Boats first; I was surprised at how good they are.

Sorry if this stings a bit, but I can't resist mentioning that 2 Minis could have been bought for $1,150 each in October and November during a Rad promotion ($1,300 price at that time, less $300 discount for buying two bikes at the same time).  I tried telling everybody I know who was interested in mine after trying it, and I don't think anybody took advantage of that deal.  Broke my heart, LOL.   :'(

Please Note: if you decide to buy any of the Rads, consider using Ryan's purchase link to get him a bit of revenue to operate this site, at no additional cost to you.

Ok I made the plunge! Just ordered a Mini4 and Mini ST2 (for myself and gf). I spoke with an agent and she gave us some coupons to take the $ sting out of the knobby tires which we wanted to buy anyway, which she totally didn't have to do but she is awesome and so is this company! Also we got the rear racks as well (they have a promotion at the moment if you get 2 bikes the racks are free). So all in all we paid $3,185 total which is 2 bikes, 2 sets of extra knobby tires (separate from the ones already on the bikes), and 2 racks, plus tax. I'd say that's not bad at all, despite lack of the Oct/Nov deals.

The knobby tires are out of stock at the moment so we will have to wait for them to be available, and will be using the CST in the meantime, so I'll definitely be seeing how far I can push them and whether the knobsters are even necessary!

Also it goes without saying - we've never had an ebike (or a bike, not since I was a kid), so I'm literally giddy like a kid right now (I'm 37). I absolutely cannot WAIT to ride my ebike, and I'll be exploring every trail I can get my hands on with it. Haven't felt so excited about a purchase in a LONG time!!

JimInPT

Quote from: Smackums on March 10, 2022, 09:32:22 AM
Ok I made the plunge! Just ordered a Mini4 and Mini ST2 (for myself and gf). I spoke with an agent and she gave us some coupons to take the $ sting out of the knobby tires which we wanted to buy anyway, which she totally didn't have to do but she is awesome and so is this company! Also we got the rear racks as well (they have a promotion at the moment if you get 2 bikes the racks are free). So all in all we paid $3,185 total which is 2 bikes, 2 sets of extra knobby tires (separate from the ones already on the bikes), and 2 racks.

Congratulations!  I was going to mention ordering accessories at the same time to at least get free shipping, but didn't want to belabor the point in an already-long post.  Good deals for ya.

But on the subject of the two models - are you SURE about the Mini 4?  If you're thinking "girl's bike" or "Shriner bike" like I did at first when shopping - don't!  They are called "Minis" but they are not small bikes when you stand next to them.  The step-thru is far more convenient and not just for us older people trying to swing a leg over a rear basket full of stuff.  The frame design is extremely strong and well-designed - no worries about durability.  The controller is better protected on the ST, as are the wires - and I believe the stepover Mini 4 doesn't have water-bottle mounts.   You'll find a number of threads here about that very decision and I don't recall a single person saying the step-through isn't preferred after owning it - a couple regretted ordering the same as you, after trying the "wife bike."  And consider that both Minis are being replaced by just one Step-Thru model; that says a lot about the sales and popularity and perhaps even resale value later on.

If I were you, I'd take a moment to ponder this and perhaps an order change can be made easily - the Rad staff is noted for stellar customer service, and I can vouch for that personally.

Again, congrats and have fun in the sun!

Smackums

Thank you! That's definitely something to think about! I think I'll go ahead with the order as is for now, feel both of them out, and see if I really prefer the ST. There's a 14 day trial period, and worst case scenario I can just sell it locally for a small loss, which wouldn't be too bad. The decision for mini4 was based really on the website's recommended rider height more than anything - I'm 5'9 and the ST2 says it tops out at 5'10, so I didn't want to be close to the max height for the bike. I have no idea how it will work out in practice though, so I'm definitely going to test both out!

And the bikes haven't even shipped yet but I'm already eyeing that 35a controller upgrade over at Bolton lol