Author Topic: Thinking outside the box for Rad Wagon rear deck storage...  (Read 4402 times)

TJGman

• View Profile
Hi all,
New to this forum, I have 3000+ miles on a Sondors fat tire that was formerly my daily commuter.
I am about to pull the trigger on a Rad Wagon... I am a handyman/carpenter on my small island and would like to tote all my tool bags on the rear deck.
I see that most of you haul kids/wives/dogs on your RW rear deck... any clever thoughts about a large cargo deck mod?
Sincere thanks for any input!
-TJGman

Ddaybc

• View Profile
Re: Thinking outside the box for Rad Wagon rear deck storage...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 07:41:24 AM »
Given that you're a handyman/carpenter you need to pack quite a few tools with you. I presume some "regulars" (tape, hammer, screwdriver etc) and some tools specific to each job so you would need to have some extra room to add tools or equipment as needed. I would suggest the large flat rack for the RW4 and then a tote or a large tool box on top of that. It could be attached via the mounting bolts so it doesn't move around and you don't have to fool with tie down straps.
Instead of purchasing the rack however, perhaps a piece of plywood cut to size and bolted down or strapped in place. It would be strong, can be held in place with zip ties and/or bolts and you can put any size tote or tool box you want on it. It could also be painted any color you want too.

TJGman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 02:48:41 PM »
Sorta what I was thinking... a flat plywood platform with slots for straps along the perimeter... any other thoughts?

Subdude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 01:38:37 PM »
I carry just about everything on my Radwagon, including tools. Large Panniers work well and if you can get rocket mortar cans online (like ammo cans but bigger) They fit on the side boards pretty well and they seal up from the elements. I actually have a Plano heavy duty tote for the top plate for the larger stuff and I carry small cargo bungee cord netting to keep everything in place.
Warning: Author of this post has delusions of being mentally competent.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

CasualNerding

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 07:06:11 PM »
What about, literally, a box?   I mounted a plastic storage tote to the back of mine.  I can get two (or three small) bags of groceries in there.

TJGman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 06:02:03 AM »
So here's where I ended up... looks a bit like an aircraft carrier I admit, but so far I'm very happy.
Large front basket fore and two racks aft.
(I did have to change the hole pattern in the rearmost rack... very easy to drill 4 new holes in the aluminum, and I offset the racks by about 3/8" to avoid and potential rattling)

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 09:57:04 AM »
TJGman, good work. those racks look like they'll do the trick. I like them even though I don't need them. Are the two racks the large Rad racks or are they some other ones?

ericwn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 05:09:38 AM »
That looks cool! Now please share some photos when the bike is fully loaded so we can see how you placed all the tools, bags etc!

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 09:06:21 AM »
That looks cool! Now please share some photos when the bike is fully loaded so we can see how you placed all the tools, bags etc!
Good idea ericwin. I would like to see that too.  :)

TJGman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 06:43:23 AM »
Yes, the two racks I added were indeed both the Rad large racks... will do with some follow up pics when loaded out... coming soon! 8) 8)

Cartichoke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 09:03:19 AM »
I bought a RadWagon last week to haul my tools (I?m a blacksmith) too and from work - about 42km (26 miles) round trip.  I built a quick deck from plywood with short, scuppered walls as a stop gap until I can make something in aluminum or steel square-tube.  It works a fair bit better than I thought it would! 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 12:08:38 PM by Cartichoke »

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 08:18:01 AM »
I bought a RadWagon last week to haul my tools (I?m a blacksmith) too and from work - about 42km (26 miles) round trip.  I built a quick deck from plywood with short, scuppered walls as a stop gap until I can make something in aluminum or steel square-tube.  It works a fair bit better than I thought it would!

That's very nice. It looks well made too.
If one is not a blacksmith but a grocery hauler one could easily see how to change your ideas into something that works for them. Two very good ideas on this thread.  :)

alexdfw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 08:00:53 AM »
Thank you all for sharing some great ideas.

I live in Germany, so the rainy winter weather and not being allowed to carry a passenger other than small children, I decided to permanently attach some sort of container(s) to my RW. As I was researching different options, I came across this truck (lorry) tool box for 73 Euros each (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01MTBJOBM/ref=pe_27091401_487024491_TE_item) that has lockable lid, seals from dust and water (if mounted "properly" - horizontally). There a many different sizes available, I got two of the 750 x 350 x 450 mm or 65 Litres sized boxes originally planning to attach them side by side like panniers.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of these boxes. They are made in Italy, no funny smell, the plastic feels strong and supposed to be able to withstand -40 - 60 C temperature range. The weight is about 3 kg. It is rated to carry 45 kg. When I flipped over my bike, I did put bike on it, no problem there.

I realized having two containers on sides would make the bike too wide, so I ended up attaching one box on the cargo rack using six bolts. I am keeping my raincover, a bike cover, tools, bungies, straps, a lock (when not it use) permanently in the "trunk." I loaded it full of groceries the other day, probably about 30 kg cargo; although, the box transported it no problem, the bike was a bit top heavy. To carry my normal day to day cargo (laptop etc.) about 10 kg, the bike doesn't feel top heavy at all. (I should not that I did change both of my tires to much heavier Pirelli City Demon https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00B9C3TV0/ref=pe_27091401_487027711_TE_SCE_3p_dp_1 tires and installed Tannus armour.)

The box doesn't block the access to the top rails of the rack. I haven't tried, but I should be able to hook some sort of panniers or big bags on the sides as needed.

Afghanza

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 06:21:09 AM »
Wow that double rack setup is awesome. Would love to see in loaded up!

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum