Author Topic: Radcity 5plus speed unlock doesn’t work  (Read 7853 times)

Lonny3715

• View Profile
Radcity 5plus speed unlock doesn’t work
« on: March 06, 2022, 05:32:31 PM »
I read a post on here to unlock my speed on my Radcity 5 plus but when I follow the link to YouTube It turns in to a private video. can someone tell me how?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 08:13:25 PM by Lonny3715 »

Slowrider

• View Profile
Re: Radcity 5plus speed unlock doesn’t work
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 07:03:30 AM »
I read a post on here to unlock my speed on my Radcity 5 plus but when I follow the link to YouTube It turns in to a private video. can someone tell me how?

Thank you!

This video explains it.  Be careful and ride safe!

https://youtu.be/b6wuDOT1iek

MatthewK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 11:41:58 AM »
Video you linked isn't for the 5 plus. There was a video out there but it has been taken down. I did it to mine and it works, however I don't recall how to do it so I stuck with the 25mph setting, I guess there are worse things ;D. If anyone does recall how to, please post up. I would like to know how to switch it back to factory setting just because. Thanks

Zombie Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 08:13:59 PM »
for any rad bike that has the new split screen setup, including the Rad City 5 Plus, you need to get the settings menu first by pressing and holding the down PAS down and the light botton for about 5 seconds. While you have the menu open press and hold PAS up, PAS down and the light botton all at the same time and hold for about 10 seconds. (tip: once you get to the point it feels like it wont work, hold for just a bit longer.) At this point you can change the speed and if you press the light botton on its own you can change the watts as well. press power to leave the menu.

I live in Canada so it only has a watt option for 250 and 500. I am curious if the US version has those options and 750. If so then there must be some way for the rest of us to unlock 750 as well, we just need to keep looking.

Slowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 12:13:17 AM »
Video you linked isn't for the 5 plus. There was a video out there but it has been taken down. I did it to mine and it works, however I don't recall how to do it so I stuck with the 25mph setting, I guess there are worse things ;D. If anyone does recall how to, please post up. I would like to know how to switch it back to factory setting just because. Thanks
Sorry I posted the wrong video... You can only increase the speed to 25 MPH from 20 MPH so if you're asking about going above 25 MPH that's a power limitation of the controller (I think) so not possible with the stock setup.

Here's how to do it

Press the assist down arrow and the light button till you get to program mode.  It will flash a P.

Then hold assist up, assist down and the light button until the screen switches from there you can edit the top speed.  It's in KMH so I think goes to 40 KMH (About 25 MPH).  I did not change it on mine to test but I have no reason to think the setting won't work.

I'm going to add a WARNING... Even the 5 MPH speed increase significantly increases your chance of serious injury or worse in a crash.  Every 10 MPH the impact force in a crash doubles so if you do this be aware of the risks.  I won't do this because I know I would crash and 20 MPH is plenty fast for me.  You have to decide what works for you though.

FL-GK

• I Love My e-Bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 05:11:54 AM »
Sorry I posted the wrong video... You can only increase the speed to 25 MPH from 20 MPH so if you're asking about going above 25 MPH that's a power limitation of the controller (I think) so not possible with the stock setup.

Here's how to do it

Press the assist down arrow and the light button till you get to program mode.  It will flash a P.

Then hold assist up, assist down and the light button until the screen switches from there you can edit the top speed.  It's in KMH so I think goes to 40 KMH (About 25 MPH).  I did not change it on mine to test but I have no reason to think the setting won't work.

I'm going to add a WARNING... Even the 5 MPH speed increase significantly increases your chance of serious injury or worse in a crash.  Every 10 MPH the impact force in a crash doubles so if you do this be aware of the risks.  I won't do this because I know I would crash and 20 MPH is plenty fast for me.  You have to decide what works for you though.

I totally agree with your warning, 20MPH is really fast and it feels plenty fast/fun as well, I would add always wear your helmets too. Of course, I'm going to try it but it's highly unlikely I will keep it (maybe I'll leave it 1MPH over my what I have my wife set to - LOL - just kidding sweetie).

madbroulton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 01:12:56 PM »
I bought a used 200miles on the odo (year old) RR+ and followed the *procedure to unlock from 32 kph to 40 kph, however the bike will still not go over 32. (20 mph). I bought a new RR+ last week and it goes 25mph no problem! Any ideas?

*holding the up and down arrows and going into the hidden menu.

FL-GK

• I Love My e-Bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 05:39:44 AM »
I bought a used 200miles on the odo (year old) RR+ and followed the *procedure to unlock from 32 kph to 40 kph, however the bike will still not go over 32. (20 mph). I bought a new RR+ last week and it goes 25mph no problem! Any ideas?

*holding the up and down arrows and going into the hidden menu.

The only thing that currently comes to mind is can you increase the wattage as well?

I only have two setting one for watts and one for speed.

I understand voltage but there is no setting for it ( I mention this due to a side discussion).

I have a spare RR 6+ controller and I have to replace my controller soon because I'm running a R City 5 + Step Thru controller because they (RAD support, was otherwise great) sent me two incorrect ones when my original failed.

Point is I should be able to temporarily hook up the RR 6+ and check it.

If/when I do I report back.

madbroulton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 08:17:07 AM »
Thanks!  I didnt know (or dont think) that I could change my wattage?  The hidden menu in my controller only has, 1. tire size, 2. Top Speed, 3.3 KMH/MPH.

Am I missing another secret menu?

Cheers

FL-GK

• I Love My e-Bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 06:02:32 AM »
Must be something different in the firmware because the RR 6 controller acts the same. 

Slowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 06:26:19 AM »
Thanks!  I didnt know (or dont think) that I could change my wattage?  The hidden menu in my controller only has, 1. tire size, 2. Top Speed, 3.3 KMH/MPH.

Am I missing another secret menu?

Cheers

I don't think so.  It's 750 watts.  If you want more than that you have to upgrade the controller.  The speed limiter is totally separate.  I think once you remove the limit it will go to maybe 23-24 but that may depend on how much weight the bike is carrying.  Then you're limited by watts.  How you can tell if you still have the speed limiter is go downhill faster than 20 and try to give it power.  If it shows 0 or something close to that then it's being limited by speed.

msndave

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 03:26:51 PM »
This speed hack seems to work for the new displays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieYLbskN3nE&ab_channel=2ThePoint  Best of luck.

mckyj57

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 11:44:37 AM »

Here's how to do it

This worked for me.

I only use the higher speed on the two miles of city artery where I am traveling in a close shoulder-style bike lane. I feel the higher speed decreases the speed dfifferential between me and the traffic going 40MPH, and thus it increases safety in that specific situation. Once I get off that section of road (A1A in Florida) I drop pedal assist to 1 or 2 and don't go above 18.

Mike Dupre

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2023, 08:20:17 AM »
[/quote]

Just because you can go 25mph instead of the bike limiting you to 20mph doesn't mean you go 25mph everywhere but are you aware a polar bar can do 25mph in a sprint?

GAndrew

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2023, 12:14:58 PM »
This speed hack seems to work for the new displays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieYLbskN3nE&ab_channel=2ThePoint  Best of luck.

Just tested this on RadCity5. Power options are 250/500W and speed 8-40kph.
When editing the clock, remember to hold down+light switches to closing the clock edit or the settings will not save. 

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2023, 12:14:58 PM »