Author Topic: Rad city 5 plus fenders  (Read 3777 times)

jefftaylor1129@outlook.co

• View Profile
Rad city 5 plus fenders
« on: February 28, 2022, 07:30:22 AM »
I have had my Rad City 5 plus since December and noticed the rear fender seemed too high on the bike, I looked at the mounting and discovered that the fender is mounted incorrectly from the factory, it should be placed on the lower mounts, so it is positioned properly over the tire.
See the picture for details. I moved the attachment point to the lower holes and relocated the reflector to the higher ones.

Slowrider

• View Profile
Re: Rad city 5 plus fenders
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 09:40:07 PM »
I have had my Rad City 5 plus since December and noticed the rear fender seemed too high on the bike, I looked at the mounting and discovered that the fender is mounted incorrectly from the factory, it should be placed on the lower mounts, so it is positioned properly over the tire.
See the picture for details. I moved the attachment point to the lower holes and relocated the reflector to the higher ones.
Do you have any reference to this being incorrect one way or the other?  I looked at mine and it's mounted on the upper bolts. 

When I got it the reflector wasn't mounted at all so I had to attach it.  There was rubber grommets in the holes so I'm guessing they were assuming some people would not want to use it.

jefftaylor1129@outlook.co

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 05:00:26 AM »
The way it looked on the upper mounts seemed way off compared to my other bikes, so I decided to move it to the lower and it looks perfect now. My guess is the factory assembly just has it mounted wrong. It works either way.

StephenMorrow@outlook.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 12:18:53 PM »
Looking at the pictures on the Rad website it's obvious the fender is mounted on the lower attachment points. Good find! I just got my bike and mind is mounted high as well. Thanks.

Slowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 04:56:04 PM »
Looking at the pictures on the Rad website it's obvious the fender is mounted on the lower attachment points. Good find! I just got my bike and mind is mounted high as well. Thanks.
Good catch!  I will have to change mine I guess... I bet it's going to be a PITA 😞

pjiaria

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 05:54:15 AM »
All 3 of the bikes it received ( 2 duds!) had the same issue. Maybe for shipping purpose.

Slowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 08:21:56 AM »
All 3 of the bikes it received ( 2 duds!) had the same issue. Maybe for shipping purpose.
If it was for shipping then the assembly instructions should say it needs to be moved.  I think this is an error in at the factory (in China?)

pjiaria

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 02:39:16 PM »
I was told the parts come from China, assembly happens here. Washington and Georgia.

pjiaria

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 02:42:26 PM »
Not hard to lower the fender bracket, but you will have to remove the frame bolts to attach the reflector.

BrianChido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 12:04:20 PM »
I also think the rear fender is mounted incorrectly because when mounting the rear reflector it?s not angled correctly using the lower holes. When the fender is moved to the lower holes, the tail reflector  is then angled correctly

ChrisB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2022, 04:22:26 PM »
I never noticed until I read this thread that the fender was installed by the factory incorrectly. Not sure if I will correct it though, I didn't install the reflector and it doesn't look too bad the way it is.

jastewart325

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 01:50:00 PM »
I posted this on another thread about the same issue, but I'll also post it here.

I finally made the switch! Looks better. I went to the mother ship (Seattle Rad store) and asked them about the situation. The sales guy was clueless; they have a bike for display with the wrong configuration. A service guy gave me more helpful information. He said that Rad made a decision to change the setup after getting reports that the original configuration was leading to complaints about the rear fender "slapping" the rear wheel. He said the photos on the website were taken pre-production and had not been changed. That seems somewhat plausible, but I took a test ride after changing it and encountered no such problem; this included riding on a very rough stretch of road and going over speed bumps at 18 mph. As the OP said, just do it!

This is admittedly a rather minor problem that does not affect Rad's revenue or much affect the bike's function. But it seems like Rad should correct it if it was done mistakenly.

Has anyone who made the switch had problems afterward?

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 01:50:00 PM »