News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

How to get my rad runner plus up one flight of stairs

Started by rager101, February 26, 2022, 12:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

NaturallyRC

The Mini, with racks, and a simple lock, is like, 75lbs. So, yeah, it gets worse.  :(

Quote from: Leafy2726 on March 13, 2022, 08:53:14 PM
not sure about folding then lugging 60 lbs up and down the stairs is something realistic.

Leafy2726

Just in time.  I am back from round two of testing the RadMission, this isn't going to work for me riding.  Handlebars need to be higher and I can tell i need gears.  The weight is fine for carrying it up stairs.  I also tried the Radexpand.  The ride was almost excellent.  The seatpost needs to be a bit higher BUT its rideable for now until I would get a longer seatpost.  But the real kicker :( its too big to drag up stairs although it has a walk function.  Not sure how well this works.  Damn!  My next step is talking with my landlord and seeing if there is an option to store it on the ground floor.  But I am not holding much hope with his help.  If there is a place i will buy the expand!

Has anyone used the walk feature for getting up steps?

NaturallyRC

I tried using the walk feature getting up the steep grassy slope from the back door of my house to the street, and didn't like it. The walking pace is quite brisk, as others have described. More about pace than torque. I prefer to just blip the throttle now. I would be careful going up steps with the walk feature. Some of these Rads can be quite heavy, and a monster if they get ahead and away from you. Maybe others like it, but I'm not a fan.

Quote from: Leafy2726 on March 18, 2022, 03:42:09 PM
Just in time.  I am back from round two of testing the RadMission, this isn't going to work for me riding.  Handlebars need to be higher and I can tell i need gears.  The weight is fine for carrying it up stairs.  I also tried the Radexpand.  The ride was almost excellent.  The seatpost needs to be a bit higher BUT its rideable for now until I would get a longer seatpost.  But the real kicker :( its too big to drag up stairs although it has a walk function.  Not sure how well this works.  Damn!  My next step is talking with my landlord and seeing if there is an option to store it on the ground floor.  But I am not holding much hope with his help.  If there is a place i will buy the expand!

Has anyone used the walk feature for getting up steps?

Leafy2726

Yeah.  I heard people have done it BUT I am hesitant.  I just need to find a lighter bike.  I figure the max I can lift up the stairs would be around 50lb.

JimInPT

Quote from: Leafy2726 on March 21, 2022, 08:18:14 AM
Yeah.  I heard people have done it BUT I am hesitant.  I just need to find a lighter bike.  I figure the max I can lift up the stairs would be around 50lb.

Leafy, if you want a versatile e-bike at a weight around 50 lbs, you may be forced to look at high-end bikes with graphite frames and other exotic improvements to save weight, at a much higher price than the Rads or most consumer-focused e-bikes.

My recovering-engineer brain loves the clever design of the Brompton folding bikes, for instance, but their electric one starts at 3,000 British pounds and has a small-capacity battery.  But it weighs only about 35 lbs!  Even at that, I'd get awfully tired of lifting it up a flight of stairs on a routine basis, especially considering whatever else I'm wearing or carrying on it.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Radio Runner

If you want a lighter ebike you can but don't have to spend gobs of cash on a magic metal hi-end one.

You can save about 10-15 pounds instantly by giving up the super fat tires if you on the pavement mostly.

And if that's the case, get rid of the suspension fork as well. That will drop about 5-7 pounds.

Fat ebikes with suspension are the big seller right now but all that is wasted on pavement. It's just dead weight. 

My Surly LHT with a wheel conversion weighs 45pounds.

Leafy2726

Yah there seems to be so many bikes with fat tires.  I commute and live in the city. I need regular tires.  I think the Aventon Pace 500 is around 50 ish lbs with the battery.

santacruzpaul

Quote from: JimInPT on March 12, 2022, 09:50:52 AM
Quote from: santacruzpaul on March 12, 2022, 07:30:13 AM
I think walk mode speed ic controlled by the PAS setting, Am I correct?

No, as stated above it's a fixed speed and I think was set in the controller programming by a speed-walking enthusiast.   ???   Maybe it's the minimum speed the motor, speed sensors and controller will operate under power; dunno.

However, you can blip it for a second or so, walk up a couple of steps to get slightly ahead of the handlebar and blip it again - you just have to wait three seconds between blips to re-engage walking mode; this trick would require some practice on a level surface first, but it should work even for those who can't walk really fast, like me as well.

BTW, for those wondering... I just went out to the garage and confirmed that walking-mode DOES work in PAS 0 setting, at least on my 2021 MiniST2.

YES, walk mode works in PAS 0, On my 2021 Radrover 5, That's the PAS I use, BUT,  the higher the PAS is set at, The faster it goes, And the watt use display shows more power used with the higher PAS too.  PAS 3 to 5 is extremely fast.
Paul

Altema

Quote from: Leafy2726 on March 13, 2022, 08:53:14 PM
Damn I want an ebike so bad BUT like others I am not sure about storage.  I have two sets of stairs to get up going in opposite directions.  Meaning I need to turn the bike halfway up. :(. And not sure about folding then lugging 60 lbs up and down the stairs is something realistic.  I might have to ask the landlord if there is another option to store the bike.  Maybe a separate room from the bike room.  The bike room is a nightmare and too small for an ebike.
Unfortunately it becomes MORE awkward to carry when folded! It's easier when locked in the open position, and with the 7 pound battery removed. Hopefully there's a way to convince your landlord to "modernize" the bike room and make it bigger.

Omidia Ramin

I think it makes for a good walking pace when you're going up a HILL.

I may be imagining it, and I'm going to try right now <smile>, but from what i remember it's slower going up hill.  (Not that awkward, light jogging pace.)

Quote from: JimInPT on March 12, 2022, 09:50:52 AM
Quote from: santacruzpaul on March 12, 2022, 07:30:13 AM
I think walk mode speed ic controlled by the PAS setting, Am I correct?

No, as stated above it's a fixed speed and I think was set in the controller programming by a speed-walking enthusiast.   ???   Maybe it's the minimum speed the motor, speed sensors and controller will operate under power; dunno.

However, you can blip it for a second or so, walk up a couple of steps to get slightly ahead of the handlebar and blip it again - you just have to wait three seconds between blips to re-engage walking mode; this trick would require some practice on a level surface first, but it should work even for those who can't walk really fast, like me as well.

BTW, for those wondering... I just went out to the garage and confirmed that walking-mode DOES work in PAS 0 setting, at least on my 2021 MiniST2.

JimInPT

Quote from: Leafy2726 on March 13, 2022, 08:53:14 PMDamn I want an ebike so bad BUT like others I am not sure about storage.  I have two sets of stairs to get up going in opposite directions.  Meaning I need to turn the bike halfway up. :(. And not sure about folding then lugging 60 lbs up and down the stairs is something realistic.  I might have to ask the landlord if there is another option to store the bike.  Maybe a separate room from the bike room.  The bike room is a nightmare and too small for an ebike.

Leafy, honesty, if you haul a Mini or most any e-bike up the stairs you've described, you'll do it only once unless (actually, more than) 60 lbs is nothing to you - my MiniST2 is now about 86 lbs with accessories, including battery.  The next time you think about it, the thought after that will be "ugh" and you just won't bother - that will severely curtail the fun and usefulness of owning an e-bike.

Just tell your landlord that, if he doesn't want to expand or add another bike room, you'll be requiring an elevator.   :P
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.