News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

How to get my rad runner plus up one flight of stairs

Started by rager101, February 26, 2022, 12:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

rager101

Hi,

I moved to a new place and I need to carry my rad runner plus up a flight of stairs. It about 10 stairs.
I remove my battery and other heavy weight.
However it is still akward and heavy getting it up.

Anyone have better methods on getting ther rad runners up?

Thank you

Radio Runner

JimInPT

Quote from: Radio Runner on February 26, 2022, 12:34:14 PM
Lay an 8 foot 2x4 on the stairs and roll it up?

That's a good idea and along the lines of what I was thinking - if it's a straight shot staircase (no landing, no bends), lay down a 2x8 board (wider for safety to not roll off the side), leave the battery in place and use "walking mode" (hold down the PAS-down button for 3 seconds) to let it power itself up your ramp while you climb the stairs alongside.  I use this method to walk my MiniST2 up or down a ramp under power to my hitch-receiver carrying rack on the back of the SUV; works great.  No heavy lifting needed.

If you're not familiar with walking mode, practice a few times on level ground to get the feel for it first - it's a fairly-brisk walking pace but stops immediately when you let off the gas.

Then the issue is: where do you stash the board?
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

rager101

Thanks! yes a wider board is a good idea. I am lucky, there are lots of random spaces to hide a wide board.

Thanks again, I was breaking my back lifting the runner plus up!!

JimInPT

I'd be interested to hear about which solution worked for you when you get it figured out.

Veggyhed

I have five stairs to ascend with my runner plus. I use the crossbar and I find the bike balances really well even with my panniers on with no groceries in. Normally when I'm leaving it's got my work clothes in with my New York kryptonite lock.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RayStDenis

I was thinking along the same lines. May be use a 2x8 and nail a small quarter round molding along the edge to prevent getting off track (or on both sides). Also, you can buy a roll or strips of non-slip tape to run down the middle to give some traction especially if the tires are wet. For storage, maybe just flip the 2x8 on its side so it only takes up 2 inches on the side of the stairway.

jastewart325

Or you might want to invest in a "motorcycle" loading ramp. I have ordered one and I haven't even got the bike yet (City 5 Plus). The one I ordered is:

https://amzn.to/3KZf9MK

I like the raised edges for safety. This is for loading into the back of my SUV; It may not be long enough for ten stairs, but there are others out there.

NaturallyRC

I like the ramps and walk mode idea. Be aware that walk mode is surprisingly brisk. Don't let the bike get away from you the first time.

santacruzpaul

I think walk mode speed ic controlled by the PAS setting, Am I correct?

Quote from: NaturallyRC on March 12, 2022, 05:07:25 AM
I like the ramps and walk mode idea. Be aware that walk mode is surprisingly brisk. Don't let the bike get away from you the first time.

Ddaybc

Quote from: santacruzpaul on March 12, 2022, 07:30:13 AM

It is not controlled by the PAS setting. At least on my RW4 it's not. The first and, so far, only time I've tried it and it was too fast for me. I have a bad leg/foot so cannot walk at the usual speed. I'm going to work on getting more used to it this summer.

Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if it will work if the PAS is set to 0? Mine was set to PAS 1 when I tried it.

JimInPT

Quote from: santacruzpaul on March 12, 2022, 07:30:13 AM

No, as stated above it's a fixed speed and I think was set in the controller programming by a speed-walking enthusiast.   ???   Maybe it's the minimum speed the motor, speed sensors and controller will operate under power; dunno.

However, you can blip it for a second or so, walk up a couple of steps to get slightly ahead of the handlebar and blip it again - you just have to wait three seconds between blips to re-engage walking mode; this trick would require some practice on a level surface first, but it should work even for those who can't walk really fast, like me as well.

BTW, for those wondering... I just went out to the garage and confirmed that walking-mode DOES work in PAS 0 setting, at least on my 2021 MiniST2.

Leafy2726

Damn I want an ebike so bad BUT like others I am not sure about storage.  I have two sets of stairs to get up going in opposite directions.  Meaning I need to turn the bike halfway up. :(. And not sure about folding then lugging 60 lbs up and down the stairs is something realistic.  I might have to ask the landlord if there is another option to store the bike.  Maybe a separate room from the bike room.  The bike room is a nightmare and too small for an ebike.

mtblair

I had the same issues before I bought my ebike (Mini ST2). I live in an apartment, 2nd floor, with two sets of stairs outside up to the floor. For my motorcycle, I rent a small storage unit about 2 blocks away that works as an ideal "garage". But I wanted quicker access to the ebike. After doing some measurements on my Ford Explorer, I discovered that I can fold down the handlebars, lift the front wheel up into the car then "roll" the bike up and in. It clears the ceiling a couple of inches with the handlebars folded down. So, the Explorer has become my ebike "garage". I put the Mini together in my living room and was able to get it down the stairs. Don't know if I could get it back up without something like a ramp.
Owner of a Rad Power Mini Step-Through 2