News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Starting from scratch - odometer

Started by pehayes, February 18, 2022, 05:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

pehayes

I bought a Mini in August.  I've been monitoring monthly usage since then.  Yesterday I went for a short ride and noticed that when I turned it on my odometer display was 000.0  What?  I called RAD and they are quickly sending a replacement LCD display.  No idea what may have happened to erase the usage.  No possible way to recover the data.

Patrick
Fremont CA

Eric7

Just trying to help you deal with it and look on the bright side.  At least now you have two controllers, one new and hopefully good one; and one that is functional but maybe forgets the mileage.  The controller is probably the most unique part of the bike that you cannot produce yourself - everything else can be replaced by third party even the wiring harness. While you can buy 3rd party controllers that may be "better" in some ways (allegedly faster, more powerful), it won't ride like a Rad or have the mileage of a Rad controller. And the data would be gone in 5 to 10 years anyway when you retire the bike.
If you don't want your old controller, maybe you can sell the controller to a person in a country where they are limited to 500 watts - fully disclosing its condition of course.

I feel for you and I am sorry it happened to you.  The controller should have been designed better and I agree that it is very annoying.

RayStDenis

I've read somewhere that if you turn the power off the battery with your key while the controller display is still on, that it can cause the odometer to zero out. May be nothing wrong with your display.

pehayes

Quote from: RayStDenis on February 19, 2022, 08:24:07 PM
I've read somewhere that if you turn the power off the battery with your key while the controller display is still on, that it can cause the odometer to zero out.

School me if I'm wrong.  AFAIK there are only two ways to blank (turn off) the display.  One is to wait a period of time for it to clock out at idle and the other is to turn off the key.  Is there another?  I always turn off by key when I go in  a store or when I arrive home after a ride.  I haven't tried, but can you even remove the key while it remains in the ON position?  I thought I had to have the key in place to operate the bike.  Maybe that is wrong.  If that is an error procedure I never heard about it and it hasn't been an issue since day one.  Also, the RAD technician never questioned my procedures, just offered a replacement controller.

Patrick
Fremont CA

WhollySmoke

Quote from: pehayes on February 19, 2022, 09:09:01 PM
Quote from: RayStDenis on February 19, 2022, 08:24:07 PM
I've read somewhere that if you turn the power off the battery with your key while the controller display is still on, that it can cause the odometer to zero out.

School me if I'm wrong.  AFAIK there are only two ways to blank (turn off) the display.  One is to wait a period of time for it to clock out at idle and the other is to turn off the key.  Is there another?  I always turn off by key when I go in  a store or when I arrive home after a ride.  I haven't tried, but can you even remove the key while it remains in the ON position?  I thought I had to have the key in place to operate the bike.  Maybe that is wrong.  If that is an error procedure I never heard about it and it hasn't been an issue since day one.  Also, the RAD technician never questioned my procedures, just offered a replacement controller.

Patrick
Fremont CA
If you hold for a few seconds the same button that turns the bike on turns the bike turns off or at least turns the display off.

Yes you can take your key out while the bike battery is in the on position we never ride with our bikes in the battery.

I have also heard that if you turn the bike off with the key while the display is still on that the mileage reset set is more likely to occur.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk